Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Main Event Reax - 10/23/13, new match for HIAC, Interviews with Magnus/Luger, Foley talks Angle, WWE hangout, where's Shamrock now?, Bellas on Kimmel and Questions on Rock vs. Austin, endings to PPVs, Show buying stock and Steph getting her comeuppance

Main Event:
I enjoyed the opening match. I'm glad it had more story than "check out all these cool moves and big bumps we can do". Goldust understands ring psychology for sure.

Nice match from PTP and the Real Americans. Cesaro and Swagger make a great tandem and PTP continue to find their niche. I think everyone here could do bigger things in the future.

Not a terrible Divas' match, but not something I really wanted to see.

Sandow vs. Ziggler wasn't bad at all, other than the "neither guy is as big of a star as they could/should be" factor. Both men have a lot of potential. More experience would definitely help them both, but right now they're certainly showing they have what it takes to be impressive members of the roster.

Everything else from yesterday is after the break.

On Smackdown, Los Matadores vs. Real Americans will be added to Hell in a Cell. That makes sense. I think that could be something of a "breather" match between more serious segments.

Magnus talked about a number of relevant topics. I can see the IWC being upset at those first comments. I definitely think that some people know a molehill's worth of information and think they know a mountain's worth. These are generally the loudest complainers. And I totally think the allegedly super-passionate wrestling fans are generally hurting the business, either directly due to things like streaming or indirectly through passively supporting wrestlers they like (or worse, giving them the opposite reaction than what the performer's going for). It's cool that the TNA veterans are supporting him. Some people there are jurt there to collect a paycheck.

Lex Luger talked to Forbes.com about his journey. There were some key differences between WWF and WCW in the '90s. WCW was part of the mighty corporate Turner empire and subject to its whims. WWF was Vince's company through and through. A lot of people overlook the power that Time Warner execs had and just blame everything on Bischoff, Hogan et al. It's great to hear Luger share his story. I hope today's stars (in all walks of life) take note of it. And I agree about there being too many "yes" people in the entertainment industry.

Mick Foley reminisced on Kurt Angle being a WWE superstar. I totally want to see Kurt back in WWE facing some of the top stars of today. He's not really doing much of note in TNA anymore.

Zack Ryder and Renee Young will be doing a Google hangout on Halloween. That could be pretty cool.

WWE.com looked at the career and current whereabouts of Ken Shamrock, who at one point was one of the most intense guys I've ever seen in a wrestling ring. That's a pretty crazy origin story. Rock's selling is something some guys could ready pick up from today. I hope Ken succeeds in his mission mentioned at the end of the article.

The Bella Twins were part of a segment on Jimmy Kimmel Live. That was funny, though it felt staged.

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. Rock's definitely the bigger mainstream star in 2013, and I think that really helps his standing. If this was 2003 or so, I might feel differently. But for the modern era, I think Rock's done more.

2. I can definitely see that argument. Especially with the shows being so pricey. Though "no contest" is technically a finish. The match isn't still going on, is it?

3. That's genius! I didn't even think of that. But I can certainly see how people might get confused.

4. Go to bed, Meltz.

5. They could do a Vickie face turn, but I wouldn't advise it. AJ's too good of a heel to think of turning her right now. Maybe Natalya if they finally want to treat her like a top act.

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment