Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Superstars Reax - 7/16/16, Brock testing update, Interviews with Dijak/Daniels/Cole/Kazarian, WWE-MSG notes, and Questions on Severn in ROH, travel expenses on the indies, Okada in TNA, Fishbone at WM11, and first wrestling books

Superstars:
- Summer vs. Becky:
OK, that was a pretty funny opening segment. Summer's a valuable player at her place in the division.

Summer just can't get one over on Becky, can she?

Becky bringing a lot of offense here.

Good stuff overall.

- Zayn vs. Axel:
I hope the Social Outcasts don't get split in the draft unless it's moving to a new incarnation.

When you lose as much as Axel does, you have to celebrate the small things.

Sami's about to essentially beat three guys.

If you like Zayn's athleticism, there are some more impressive names in NXT and the CWC who will likely be on the main roster in the years to come.

That was fun.

***********************NEWS BEGINS BELOW THIS LINE*************************

Brock Lesnar responded to being flagged by the USADA before his recent UFC fight. Hopefully for his reputation and future, it was a false positive and he's able to get back to taking people to Suplex City soon.

A number of ROH stars were interviewed before their TV taping in Philadelphia:
Donovan Dijak (twice) I'm glad he's getting a higher profile. I wish we saw more of him.
Christopher Daniels The line about ROH looking less like stage stunts than WWE was more hilarious than the line about being gone from ROH for a brief hiatus. They definitely have some solid technical wrestlers, but they also have a lot of spotmonkey circus performers.
Adam Cole I think he's got a good shot at being the next ROH Champion.
Frankie Kazarian He's grown a good deal as a performer since pairing up with Daniels. 

At WWE's live event in Madison Square Garden:
- Neville lost to Chris Jericho fresh off a return to injury. I wonder if they'll feud on TV to play off the former NXT Champion being injured in a match with Y2J.

- Mark Henry teamed with Jack Swagger to beat Curtis Axel and Bo Dallas. It was reported for quite some time Henry didn't have much time left as a wrestler following WM32, but clearly he's still there for the time being. I know he hasn't signed a new deal since the three-year contract in 2013, so things are winding down if not over just yet.

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. Jim Cornette loves people with legitimate sports backgrounds and talents with high levels of technical ability. That fits right into his vision of wrestling.

2. If the star's big enough and doing a lot of shows on the road, they either get enough pay to deal with that or they ask for that to be paid for as part of coming in. That's the pull of being a veteran with name power.

3. Because, bro, no one wants to see some Chinaman in an American wrestlin' promotion. Quote Vince Russo from when he was a WCW writer:

"I'm going to tell you something right now that you will absolutely not agree with, but I've been a wrestling fan my whole life and I will live and die by this. It's hard enough, believe me, I write this shit, it is hard enough to get somebody over. You will never ever, ever, ever, ever see the Japanese wrestlers or the Mexican wrestlers over in American mainstream wrestling. I'm an American. If I'm watching wrestling here in America, I don't give a shit about a Japanese guy. I don't give a shit about a Mexican guy. I'm from America, and that's what I want to see."

So instead Okattah was given a gimmick ta play off tha Green Hornet movie that was goin on about that time. That's why TNA's ratins was highah when Russo was in charge, bro. No one wants to see that Korean lucha libre shit in the USA.

4. That's our Vince!

5. Definitely Sunny's book. It's a wholesome tale for everyone in the family to enjoy. Foley's books are certainly accessibly-written; they encouraged me to write more in a sense.

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment