Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 4, 2017

NXT and ROH Reax - 5/3/17

Read on for my thoughts on last night's NXT and ROH.
-- NXT:
- Killian vs. Burch:
I'll be surprised if Burch doesn't end up joining WWE's UK project. Unless he's got a big offer for WOS, that's probably a good move for him.

I like Dain's vicious attitude.

This is good so far.

Dain's a force of nature. A big man who can really move.

Nice to put Dain over.

- Clark video:
I like what we've seen from him so far. I hope he can take what he's got and run with it.

- Otis/Tucker vs. Watts/Kunsman:
Time for some more hosses.

This is pretty fun.

Not bad to continue to establish the new big man team.

- Machinery promo:
Haha I'm liking these two a lot.

Wow, really? Let's not get ahead of ourselves, gentlemen. Akam and Rezar are tough dudes.

Interesting....

- Roode/Reeves:
Bobby passing on some tips.

- #DIY interview:
These two don't have much else to do in NXT, but I think they'd be lost in the post-shakup tag team picture on the main roster. NXT needs them more right now. I could see them having more or less their last hurrah at Takeover:Brooklyn before heading to either Raw or Smackdown. I'm sure they can succeed there if they're given the opportunity; I'm hoping they work Smackdown since Raw got Revival. Also, they wouldn't have to try to be more over than the Hardys.

- Itami vs. Reeves:
I really hope Hideo can remain healthy long enough to get some momentum going. I'd like to think he can be bigger than 205 Live level if he gets things together.

Kona looking to make a name for himself at Itami's expense.

Wow. Hideo's having trouble here.

Ehhh. I guess he's getting back into things. He's really been eclipsed with all those injuries.

- Roderick video:
This is doing more to humanize Strong than I got to see in ROH. I doubt he got this kind of characterization there.

Man. Hard to boo this guy now.

Roderick definitely had quite the journey to WWE.

HOLY SHIT BLATANT ROH SHILLING.

I do want to see if Strong can be more than "guy who can wrestle long matches and do a lot of moves." Good start to that.

Hopefully he has goals beyond being NXT Champion, but that's a good place to start.

- Regal/Roode/Strong:
Hmmmmmm interesting idea. I'd be OK with a triple threat.

Glad they used that to set up a future match instead of Regal demeaning talents, etc. Stephanie could learn a LOT from this presentation.

- Women's battle royal:
Wow we've got some cameos and new faces here. I expect this is a preview for the women's tournament, to a degree.

I like that the NXT women's championship is so important independent stars are here to try to get a shot at it.

I'm liking the stories going on here.

Billie and Peyton having good showings here.

I expect we'll see more of Candice LeRae.

Billie and Peyton might have this one!

Oh.... well. So much for that.

This is pretty fun with Ember, Ruby, and Nikki.

Going to the top rope in a battle royal always seems like a bad idea.

Stunning your opponent is also not a great move when you need to throw them over the top rope.

Ahhhhh... that was going pretty well.

- Post-match:
Asuka is queen of this division. She's won more straight matches than Goldberg did.

Asuka's going to hold that title as long as she wants!

That should be one hell of a women's match, and the right way to get the title off Asuka without her being pinned.

-- ROH:
- Taven/Vinny vs. C2C:
So much for the new Kingdom being the dominant trio in ROH.

Every. single. tag match. in ROH. has stereo dives. For God's sake, people.

Pretty much every other ROH tag match. Bleeeehhhh.

I guess that was fine for what it was. Nice move by Taven to mess with the champ, but holy crap are things tire when he's a contender for the top belt in the company.

- Bucks/Squad:
Well I guess they and Cole settled their issues off-screen. Delirious really needs someone else working with him or replacing him at this point as booker.

Ehhhh typical "ironic" Bucks promo. It just isn't my kind of thing.

OH MY GOD THIS IS REALLY HAPPENING.

Wow this is ridiculous.

So much for the Bucks having realistic challengers. I'm very glad to see a fresh, non-flippy team in the mix though.

- Sydal vs. Gordon:
Who would have called Matt being back in Impact AND ROH after the legal issues in Japan?? I wonder if he'll be able to do international tours.

Same old, same old. Weird to see Matt working as something of the veteran when he's pretty much the same wrestler he's always been.

WOW. Gordon's full of energy.

ALL THE FLIPS!!!

- Post-match:
Scurll and Sydal can probably do a pretty cool story if it's not just a "get my spots in" affair.

- Cole story:
I'd pop for Cody as the new leader of the Bullet Club in ROH, beating up Cole to send him off. That would be solid.

- Lethal vs. Page vs. Silas vs. White:
I'm enjoying this in the early going. I do like ROH letting a number of names be in the mix for title contention.

Good to see each name get to show what they can do.

This is a pretty weird combination of names in the title picture.

I'd like to see Lethal head to NXT in 2018. Or even back to Impact. He's already on his last legs as an ROH guy.

Fun work so far.

Hangman and Silas make a pretty good pairing.

Jay White working like seemingly every other indie guy at the moment.

That was a nice deadlift German.

This is Lethal's match to lose, really.

I really enjoy Silas.

Page is pretty good.

That was solid! Everyone got to show what they can do en route to Lethal earning another big match.

- Post-match:
I'm excited for Cody in the main event. This should be really good if they don't make it "how many finishers can you kick out of."

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment