Total Pageviews

Monday, July 24, 2017

Abyss changing his look, WWE cutting back on sets, recent GFW name at WWE live event, Finn banged up, and Questions on NJPW's first U.S. shows, Jason Angle, WWE being snubbed by the Emmys, Finn's place on the card, and Cena's place in wrestling history

Abyss is getting a new mask. That looks pretty creepy. Part of me wants Abyss and Storm to team in a bit of a Wyatt Family kind of thing.

WWE is scaling back on special PPV sets and pyrotechnics as an economic move. I love pyro and the things that make the show special, but I see why WWE would want to cut back on costs.

Shane Helms visited at a Raw live event this weekend near his neck of the woods. There's speculation of him ending up with a behind-the-scenes role in WWE. It wouldn't be a surprise given his history in the business. I'd like to see him be a producer for the cruiserweights.

Finn Balor is wearing tape on his shoulder, so he could be a little banged up. Glad he's still going, though. He's one of my favorite workers right now.

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. They seem to have been pretty successful! Followup will be key. I'm very curious to see how they'll fare in the U.S., and what that will mean for other promotions.

2. Well, it can be argued Jason's mother hid him from his real dad for 28 years, even though Jason wanted to become a wrestler and all that. The mystery drew interest to what the reveal would be, and the goal is to use Jason's "second-generation" status as a way to push his association with the WWE Hall of Famer. The hope is that will lead to him becoming a bigger star, selling tickets and drawing ratings and all that other stuff. The idea of it being a ruse on Jason's part (or his mom's) isn't a bad idea if they want to go that route.

3. It might be that, but I think a lot of it is the inherent bias against honoring something like WWE. I'm sure it's still seen as pretty low-brow to those types.

4. That's not a bad take! I do like the idea of him getting over for reasons other than "this guy's such a great wrestler and he was a big deal in other places so we're going to put him in the main event of a major PPV within a month of him hitting the main roster." I like Finn, but I can see how the casual audience hasn't gotten to connect with him just yet compared to people who have been there longer.

5. I think we all have really different criteria for the Mount Rushmore of wrestling. To me, it's not the four biggest stars/draws, but an acknowledgement of different eras of wrestling. I think it should primarily honor history. I like my picks of Hackenshmidt, Bruno, Hogan, and Rock for what they all meant for their respective era of wrestling. Rock is still expanding things into the mainstream, which gives him the edge over Austin for his time period. As great as Cena is, and I have no doubt he'll bring wrestling even further into the mainstream, there are only four spots, and I think you have to give Hackenshmidt the "George Washington" spot as the first recognized world champion.

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment