Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Raw Reax - 7/8/13

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Raw.
Fine opening segment, I guess. I don't like that the power struggle between non-wrestlers is in some ways more important than the wrestlers, but I guess some people out there like this kind of thing.

Oh sh*t! That ending was a pleasant surprise. I don't think it hurt Sheamus to lose by surprise. That was a really good match. I think both men can be sustainable main eventers in time if the right factors are in play.

Nice post-match. I'm glad that there's respect there. Not all wrestlers need to be at each other's throats.

I like that the Wyatt Family is being treated as REALLY important. I don't know if they'll quite live up to the hype, but it's a nice change of pace from the push of, say, Bo Dallas.

Nice segment with Dolph and his entourage. I like that he's not just all of a sudden a babyface.

Nice tag match! Tons of Funk is somewhat underrated in the ring. Rollins and Reigns make a well-oiled machine in the ring.

These Wyatt videos are cool as all get-out. What's creepy is that these locales and people wouldn't be out of place in NC.

I don't think I'd mind in the least if Cena disappeared for a couple of months. HERP DERP SNICKERS BAR. I'm strongly pulling for Mark Henry. Anyway, I'm glad that they're making Henry look like a threat (even though it seems inevitable that Cena will persevere).

Good Orton promo. If it wasn't for those Wellness violations, I think he could still be a headliner.

I liked the Heyman/Axel promo. I really hope that Axel becomes a star. That'll take time, but it's better than him floundering.

It looks like we're back in the mode of "pushing Curtis Axel without REALLY pushing him". Jericho kicked out of both of his finishers, basically making Axel look ineffective or beneath him. They could have easily had Ryback do something to cost Jericho the match. In that plan, they would have added heat to Ryback vs. Jericho and made Axel look more legitimate by having him beat Jericho. It's not like Jericho needed a win over Axel to look strong going into Sunday, and Jericho's going back on WWE hiatus shortly. Very backwards booking.

That was a pretty weird backstage segment. Talk about a clustermess. Remember when Fandango BEAT CHRIS JERICHO AT WRESTLEMANIA? Now he's a punchline. WWE's always like "new stars need to take advantage of their opportunities and step up to the plate", yet a lot of times when someone does get over, WWE screws it up somehow.

The Wyatt videos are incredibly badass. I don't know who came up with this gimmick, but it's awesome.

That was kind of cool between Dolph and Del Rio. I'm interested to see where they go from here. I think that if Dolph wins the title back on Sunday, the story is less interesting than him having a long journey back to the gold.

The only thing I found entertaining about the McMahons-Vickie segment was the quip about the Golden Girls. Vickie did a good job in her role (as always), but it wasn't something I was crazy about as a whole. I look forward to seeing what Brad Maddox does as GM. Give him a chance!

I suspect we'll see Vickie back down the line. Honestly, I can't complain that they're giving the character a break.

Kane vs. Christian was nice. It probably could be really good if they got enough time. For those who keep track of this, these two first faced off 1-on-1 in 2000.

BASED. F*CKING. WYATT FAMILY. That was incredible. Definitely not "just another debut". Pleasantly surprising that they were able to take Kane out. Of course, some people had to try to rain on the parade by chanting "Husky Harris". What is WITH these people? Do they even like wrestling, or do they just show up to show how "smart" they are? They remind me of the spectators at The House of Representin' in "Idiocracy".

I don't think I'd mind Vickie as Ryback's manager going forward. I don't know if it would elevate him any, but it's an interesting character direction.

Awesome Divas' match, as far as advancing the story goes. It's not about Kaitlyn and AJ "stealing the show with a good match" - they're out for blood and the Title.

Punk's always a solid promo.

Punk's also always a solid match. Both men were very good here.

Don't tease me like that, WWE! Bryan winning the briefcase would be too sweet.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment