Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Smackdown Reax - 7/19/13

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Smackdown.
Ugh. We really wasted a whole segment on non-wrestlers? I really think it's time to give the Vickie character a break. Ditto for Booker and Teddy. Teddy was first GM in 2004, and Vickie was first GM in 2007. As much TV time as both of them have gotten over the years, that feels like a really long time. This was the perfect time to introduce a new GM and freshen things up. Maybe they're banking in Vickie's "star power" to make a change in the ratings, but I personally wanted a fresh face in charge. Maybe Ted DiBiase? It's not like he's doing anything else, and it would be nice to have a younger face at the helm.

Swagger vs. Ziggler was fine for the time it got. It wasn't designed to be a five-star match, just something to move the story along.

Not a bad post-match to continue the Ziggler/Langston feud. Should be cool. Maybe Ziggler ends up with Kaitlyn again?

Cool match/segment with The Shield. I'm intrigued with the possibility of Henry as a face. Hopefully he doesn't destroy The Shield. I still get flashbacks to Cena vs. The Nexus.

Wow. Impressive showing by Bryan. I'd normally complain that Barrett tapped out so quickly, but I think it was worth it in order to keep Bryan strong. I think Barrett can rebound.

Not crazy about the Brad/Vickie segment, just because we've seen heel Vickie for SO long. It's very much old hat at this point.

MizTV was fine to continue the build to Punk vs. Lesnar. I liked that they threw to Curtis Axel.

You know that saying that you're only as good as your last match? Jericho's still really good. By no means do I fault him for going off to do Fozzy. He's worked really hard this year (when doesn't he?). Anyway, I bid him adieu for now. Going forward, I hope Axel and WWE can capitalize on this victory. I think Axel's got the potential to be someone in the future. He's at a pivotal crossroads now: he could go on to be really good, or he could remain in the midcard for life. Hard work on his part and WWE's is what's needed to have him break the mold.

Not quite the write-off I wanted for Jericho, but I guess it adds some heat to Ryback.

That Sandow/Rhodes segment was AWESOME. I love how Sandow twisted everything around. Rhodes didn't need a 10-minute promo to retort, either. Less can be more. I hope both men end up "on the map" in the future.

In some ways, I think it's something of an honor that PTP were involved with RVD a week after his debut, given that all of his previous opponents lately have been former WWE/World Champions. The match was a fine showcase for RVD's offense. PTP continue to be good for the role of getting others over, which is a valuable role. Obviously everyone wants to be the featured acts, but logistically that's impossible.

I actually liked the Vickie/Teddy segment because of how mean Vickie was. I'm not sure where Teddy's character should go from here. As I said, he's done pretty much the same thing for almost 10 years. Maybe he could manage someone? Kofi?

WWWWEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.... at least that video on Show was pretty cool. He can be pretty impressive when he just shows up and destroys people. I wish he'd be used a little more sparingly - he's not as special when he appears/wrestles multiple times in a week.

Del Rio vs. Orton was pretty good - I thought that they had a good feud back when. Orton just proved that he can beat the World Champion. You'd think this would lead to him asking to challenge for the Title, right?

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment