Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 6, 2013

Smackdown Reax - 7/5/13

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Smackdown.
Punk and Del Rio were solid as always. Punk could teach a lot of guys a thing or two about how to cut a promo.

More fun intrigue between Heyman and Punk. Punk vs. Lesnar should be amazing.

I'm split on the possibility of Rhodes Scholars... well... splitting. Turning Rhodes face is an interesting idea. It's all in the execution and what their plans are for him. Rhodes vs. Axel for the IC Title would be nice.

Wow. I don't know why I'm so surprised that the Usos won, since they're being built to face the very dominant Shield, but it's still kind of eye-opening for them to go over Team Rhodes Scholars. I perfectly understand why WWE is doing it: The Usos need to look like they have at least a puncher's chance to beat The Shield. I can't really fault them for doing it. I just think that Sandow and Rhodes are very talented and hope that they rebound once the Usos presumably go right back down the ladder. I definitely wouldn't call the Usos "great", but for temporary challengers to The Shield, they're fine.

Fine Shield promo, though it's something of a stretch to say that the Usos have unlimited potential and talent. But hey, WWE needs them to look like credible challengers for the match to mean much.

That match made sense to continue the angle between AJ and Kaitlyn. I hope we have at least one more big moment before MITB.

Fine post-match. I hope we get AJ vs. Layla next.

Interesting stuff with the Bellas. I don't like them being put in the title picture: the focus needs to be on AJ and Kaitlyn for now. AFTER MITB? Sure, you can use them. But putting them here didn't do much. Plus, they're heels like AJ. Who the heck would be expected to root for?

Fine stuff between Orton and Christian. Is WWE taking notes from TNA on how to set up matches? If so, good job.

Christian vs. Orton was very solid: this is what veteran experience looks like.

If Ricardo wasn't suspended, I wonder if we would have gotten a TAG TEAM MATCH from Teddy with Punk/Heyman vs. Del Rio/Ricardo?

Nice Dolph promo. I think he can work as a face.

Dolph vs. McIntyre was fine. Maybe one day they'll forget about the Summerslam incident and we can see how talented he is. I liked his performance here.

I wouldn't mind 3MB turning face and feuding with the Wyatt Family. It definitely makes more sense than the Family vs. The Shield.

Comedy match! Not bad, but nothing to write home about. Both men have futures if WWE could find roles for them. I think if Gabriel had a regular partner, good things could happen. Would they be Tag Team Title-worthy? Not necessarily. But he could grow as a performer and have something to do. I'd be curious to see how he would work alongside NXT's Conor O'Brian. As for the other side of the equation, I think Summer Rae's ready to get in the ring. Putting here there would be as easy as an angle where she gets uppity and thinks she's more important than... say, Natalya (who is of course a part of Total Divas). I think they could have a pretty good match, based on what Summer's done in NXT. Of course, later they should do Summer Rae vs. Paige. Anyway, that's enough of plugging NXT stars for now.

Del Rio vs. Punk was pretty good for the time it got. Of course, on PPV, it would be amazing.

Can't complain about that ending to the show. I'm ready for MITB.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment