Total Pageviews

Monday, July 22, 2013

TNA live event fiasco, Interviews with Katie Lea Burchill (Winter)/Miz/Ziggler, JR talks WWE vs. TNA and Paige, and Questions on Y2J, the Performance Center, RVD in WWE, Bruce Prichard, and the X-Division Title

TNA had licensing issues at a live event this weekend, meaning that six wrestlers were unable to compete. Among them were TNA Champion Chris Sabin. They were in Missouri and the wrestlers in question (also Garett Bischoff, Wes Brisco, Jay Bradley, Miss Tessmacher, and Gail Kim) didn't have licenses to wrestle there. Here's a report from the show. Also of note is that James Storm is uninjured. Needless to say, the licensing situation is not what TNA needs right now and needs to be addressed. As for that low attendance, that's quite disappointing. I definitely don't blame Sabin since he's just started being pushed. I don't know what they need to do to increase business, but it needs to be done sooner rather than later. I do think it's good that TNA tried to make things up to the people there.

Update: Word has it that the situation is the result of an oversight by TNA management. They were late in requesting the licenses for those performers.

The former Katie Lea Burchill/Winter was interviewed. If it wasn't for the budget issues, I'd like to see her back in TNA. I think the WWE gimmick was going to revolve around brother/sister incest, which probably isn't high on WWE's list of things to promote. It was interesting to say the least. I loved her theme song as Winter and think that she always had a good look.

Everything else from yesterday is after the break.
The Miz and Dolph Ziggler talked at SDCC. I love Miz's attitude about criticism. He's so easy to hate. I'm still a pretty big fan of Ziggler, just as much for what he does outside of WWE TV as he does on it. I do like wrestling shirts that don't necessarily look like wrestling shirts.

Jim Ross talked about the odds of WWE vs. TNA (minimal) and his thoughts on NXT's Paige. Is it me or did it sound like he was saying that Paige was more concerned with her social life than improving? I've been impressed with her work in NXT and I think she could soon be "ready" for the main roster. Don't want to rush things, though.

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. I don't know of any argument AGAINST Jericho going into the Hall. Look at his resume, the number of classic matches and segments he's been in, etc.. He's absolutely a deserving Hall of Famer.

2. Bow down to the... Bow down to the KING. Yeah, HHH gets most of the credit here (though I imagine that the higher-ups had to approve the big expense).

3. RVD was TNA Champion for crying out loud. I think a lot of it is that WWE has a lot more pull to promote RVD's return. TNA's on once a week. WWE's on seemingly all the time and has a much bigger audience to market to. It's like Hugh Jackman on Broadway vs. Hugh Jackman in a Hollywood feature I think.

4. I think he might have been in over his head with too many duties, honestly. But yeah, something was definitely wrong there. They lost a number of talented performers and could have lost more.

5. Checking the site of where they got the title made, they likely had the Title commissioned months before the releases, and I doubt it set them back nearly as much as some of those contracts. It's unfortunate timing, and it can be argued that it was an unnecessary expense, but they're not really related circumstances.

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment