Total Pageviews

Friday, July 19, 2013

Superstars and Destination X Reax - 7/18/13

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Superstars and Destination X-themed Impact Wrestling.
Superstars:
Nothing much to say about the opening tag. I'm guessing WWE might be setting Tons of Funk up to take on The Shield and that's why they're beating PTP. No word on them being "buried", "out of favor with management", etc., and they could one day be a team that WWE gets behind. They're just not being pushed right now.

Ryback beat former WWE/World Champion Chris Jericho on Sunday. Jericho went on to have a high-profile match the next night with another former WWE/World Champion. Ryback? He's on a show that few people watch beating a producer who's pretty much retired. That said, Ryback did destroy Brawler (although Brawler almost always gets destroyed, right?).

Miz looked pretty good against Slater. He continues to improve his technical game. I hope he's still got a good future.

Destination X:
Before I watch the show: TNA has a big chance to shake things up tonight. I think it's pretty apparent that it's time for some changes on-screen. It feels like the Aces and Eights angle has been going on forever. Ditto for the Hogans being on TV. People want change.

Not a bad opening segment. Like I said, it feels like this has been going on forever. I'm ready for a loser leaves TNA match between Bully and Hogan. Naturally, Bully should win.

Nice segment with Roode.

Can our first change under the new regime be JB replacing Taz on commentary? That would save some money for sure.Anyway, Aries vs. Roode was pretty good. They definitely went heavy on the spots, but it was pretty good.

I liked Roode breaking things, though the obvious joke to be made is that TNA can't afford to replace it.

Cool stuff with Homicide, Hernandez, and Chavo. I missed Homicide. I'm pretty sure I'd rather have him around than Chavo. That's not a slight against Chavo. I just liked what Homicide brought to the table.

Spotfest time! It was nice to see Homicide pull out his signature moves at any rate. Him not winning to me seems to indicate that he's not sticking around. I like Sonjay, though, so I can't complain about him moving on.

Not a bad second three-way at all. Chavo's still a dependable performer.

I liked the MEM segment. I hope we do get a changing of the guard tonight. A "TNA Original" hasn't held the Title since October.

Fine Hogan/Sabin segment. I think that's the best use of Hogan in 2013. Sabin's not the champion we deserve, but he's the champion we need right now.

I wonder how many Aces and Eights members will be employed by the time the night ends!

Here's Trent! I'm glad he's working here. I hope this is a more regular thing. Fine match by X-Division standards. That finisher looks really dangerous, but that's what's en vogue now.

Fine Bully segment.

And then crazy stuff with Angle. We'll see where this goes.

Fine stuff between Gail and Mickie. I'm enjoying Mickie's character turn. It is weird that they're having two heels face off for the Title, but they've only got so many Knockouts to use...

I liked the Aries/Sabin segment. I wish it was Aries taking the title tonight instead of Sabin, but TNA's wishy-washy on that for some reason.

Cool stuff with Styles. I look forward to the match with Hardy not because of HIGHSPOTZ~! but because of the story attached.

Ha. It feels like they were reluctant to give Sabin the Title here (not that I blame them all that much - he's not high on my list of people who should have dethroned Bully Ray, but desperate times call for desperate measures). He's just a minor player in the greater MEM/Aces and Eights story I think. But whatever, it's something new and a fresh act getting to run with the Title. I don't know how long it will last, but it's a shot in the arm at a time when TNA needs just that. I'm somewhat hesitantly behind Sabin as Champion.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment