Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Interviews with Phoenix, Daniels, and HBK, Questions on wrestling vs. boxing rings, Jacquelyn, and the sound of the Impact Wrestling Zone, Trish interview, heat on Austin Aries?, Z! TLIS #54, WWE signs a new referee, Mysterio interview, and the Impact Wrestling rating

Beth Phoenix was interviewed ahead of a live event. Good little "puff piece". I like that she had good things to say about her opponent instead of making her seem like she wasn't a threat.

Christopher Daniels also talked ahead of a TNA house show. There have been times when I've really enjoyed seeing him. At this point, though, I think I've seen just about everything he can do against guys like Styles and Kazarian. That's not really a knock on him, just the repetitive situation.

Shawn Michaels was interviewed by WWE.com to continue the HHH/Taker angle. I'm kind of liking the "TMZ" approach they're taking with things like this and Backstage Fallout.

PWInsider.com had some new questions to look at on Friday:
Nothing to add to 1, but for 2. If I'm not mistaken wrestling used to be covered under the same rules as boxing in some places, meaning that women and masked competitors weren't allowed. It makes sense that there would be differences between the rings given that sometimes wrestlers "need" to get through the ropes for spots and fall down a lot more than boxers.

After the break, I go into everything else from yesterday, starting with a question on a Divas' Title match.

3. I haven't seen enough of Tamina yet to fully get in her corner as one of the top performers of the division, so I'd have to go with Beth vs. Natalya. Both ladies have earned their stripes as the top veterans there. I wouldn't rule out Tamina getting there some day, but she's still kind of early in her career in comparison.

4. Given how long they've had to bring her on-board in either capacity since they parted ways, I wouldn't put this one in the "likely" category. I'd personally rather see Finlay return as a trainer.

5. There's definitely some kind of issue there, as some of the piped-in noise is pretty noticeable at times.

Trish Stratus gave an interview, touching on wanting to face Beth Phoenix and the issues she had with John Morrison. I've always liked what Trish brought to the table in her wrestling appearances. Very talented individual. This is another tough choice about using former stars to work with the current crop, since that kind of snubs the current people to some degree.

Austin Aries posted a presumably in-character Tweet about Sting main eventing another PPV when he can't get close to that level. It was removed, and he then posted one about "over-stirring the drink". Some interpret this as him getting in trouble with management over the tweet. The original Tweet referred to Sting booking himself, so it came across as kayfabe to me. I can see how TNA would be a little ticked at it either way.

Here's episode #54 of Z! True Long Island Story. Hawkins seems to be coming into his own lately. Ziggler's got something that can make the company money in the years to come. The Big O's got a big look, so I wouldn't be surprised if he got a shot at FCW at some point down the line. That must be a crazy neighborhood to live in.

WWE has signed referee Jason Harding of Dragon Gate USA. He's heading to FCW. A number of other performers from that promotion are on the WWE radar and would be let out of their contracts to go there. Stay tuned on that front. I wonder what the shaky fate of the WWE Network means for the potential Cruiserweight show (which could involve talent from there)?

Rey Mysterio was interviewed on his current status. Mania's already fairly loaded, so it won't be a big deal if he's not able to make the show. I can see how he'd want to be a part of that payday, though! As for Sin Cara, I think the latter should get some more steam built before they go with that one. He might have to "start over" to some degree when he comes back from his own injury (which I think is still a number of months off).

Impact Wrestling did a 1.19 on 2/23. Better than the previous week. I hope they keep things up, as the show's been better than it was in earlier times.

That's it for Friday's news. I apologize for the lateness, and will try to make up for it tonight. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment