Total Pageviews

Monday, February 6, 2012

Raw thoughts - 2/6/12

Last week on Raw, the road to WrestleMania took a turn through the Dark Side. The Undertaker returned to disrupt the firing of John Laurinaitis by WWE's COO, Triple H. Is there unfinished business between the two long-time rivals (and last year's WrestleMania opponents)? Also, the Voice of the Voiceless ran afoul of the man who proclaimed the end of the world as we know it when Chris Jericho made a statement at C.M. Punk's expense. How will the WWE Champion respond? More on these questions and more as we continue our path to the Elimination Chamber. Read on for my thoughts on the show as it happens.

Ehh... I think I'd have preferred Beat the Clock so you don't give away the 6 competitors facing off before the Chamber.

I would say to save Bryan/Show for Smackdown, but HOPEFULLY that's a way to get the angle (and Bryan) over with the Raw audience who might not watch Smackdown.

"But hey, what's more important that the WWE and World Champions (and their contenders)? TRIPLE H!!!!!!!"

Meh, I'll give this a chance before complaining about using a semi-retired (?) wrestler in a big angle too much.

It's still pretty weird seeing HHH in a business suit as a non-wrestler.

This is actually pretty interesting. These two performers have so much history and legacy that this isn't just another feud.

Triple H can still "take me there" and make me buy that he's going to do something serious.

Awesome video packages.

Did I just see a hatchet man sign in the crowd? Maybe it IS 1999.

That's actually a pretty clever angle. Very different from the "someone wants to end the streak" story we usually get.

I was half-hoping HHH was going to fake us out with the lighting.

Hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm..... I like this more than I'd initially care to admit. Good interaction between the two of them.

I'm loving this story. I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff apparently.

Could just be that AJ's involved. She plays the "deer in headlights" perfectly.

I'd pull for just about anyone taking out Big Show.

You have no idea how much I want Bryan to get the clean win over Show here.

What a manipulative bastard! I love it.

"This woman" instead of "my girlfriend". What a smarmy prick. Why couldn't we have gotten this Bryan before now?

Jericho could be lying.

I'm sure that's how NASCAR negotiations work. I hope the cross-over gets more people watching WWE.

I remember the first Elimination Chamber. It used to mean something other than "February's gimmick PPV".

Argyle, coffee mugs, and a bowtie. Hilarious look.

Hahahaha. Otunga's fun.

Given the choice between being a goof in backstage segments who usually loses and rarely making it on  at all/being a candidate for roster cuts, I'd hope most performers would choose the former given the lack of other places to draw big money as a wrestler.

Over/under on how many words Jericho says? I'm thinking not many.

Ugh. Nickelback. Why are you still a thing?

Not that I'm complaining, but Chris Jericho hasn't changed his (singles) theme song since his 1999 debut. That's longevity.

Well, Jericho is pretty awesome.

Jericho has some points, though it's not like the things he did were the first-time in wrestling ever.

Good promo by Jericho, if a little reminiscent of his "suit heel" run.

I wonder how they'll keep these two fresh for the hypothetical Mania match.

I like Punk's new T-shirt. You want him to get pushed more? Buy that sucker.

As great performers, these two had the crowd into what they were doing without talking for a bit there. Looking forward to more from them.

That match could be kind of clunky, but at least 3 of those guys can put together something good.

I think I can get used to Barrett's new music.

Hopefully Khali's not around long-term (years and years). I've gotten my "clunky big guy" fix over the years I think.

Really looking forward to Orton vs. Bryan. Big night for the World Champ.

Well, that's interesting. At least Khali's got something going for him as a character beyond "big Indian guy" now.

FFFF- Rhodes just got NAILED. Good spot. Though I wish Rhodes would have looked better, I think the story works better with the way they went. Rhodes is in a World Title Elimination Chamber match; he'll have a chance to be pretty big there.

Twitter and video packages we've seen before. Not my favorite things they focus on.

What an odd song to sell one of the biggest matches in wrestling history. Nothing says "epic clash of gladiators" like auto-tune.

You know what makes me want to spend $55 on a wrestling match? Tweets.

I think I've seen this match before. Beth and Natalya weren't wearing pink, though, so it's different.

I like that Beth got her to focus on the match she's in. She should be trying to win.

I guess maybe we're building to Tamina/Beth? I can live with that. Should be good. I want Beth/Natalya at Mania, though.

I don't think it's worth sitting through Leno to hear that.

So, they can just call up HBK and get him to show up anytime? You'd think they'd have done it before now.

Ambulance match makes sense.

Recap packages and WWE.com plugs. We couldn't use this time to build some performers who aren't on TV all the time? It'd be different if house show business was booming. Why should we pay to go see them when a lot of the people on them are never on the TV show (and some of the people on the TV show are never on house shows)?

Is Josh wearing HHH's tie?

No Funkasaurus this week?

Oh God that looks terrible. I hope it's all just a set-up for some kind of monster killing all the high-schoolers.

Van Halen still makes music? That's actually kind of depressing.

Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Undertaker, Mick Foley, Chris Jericho, Big Show... which WrestleMania are we headed towards again?

Clever magazine article.

It makes sense that they'd go after Jericho following his comments.

Something tells me Jericho's going to sneak in and get the win.

Great in-ring action so far.

I hope R-Truth's ok.

NICE spot with Ziggler and Miz breaking things up.

Also a pretty cool Tower of Doom.

That would have been an odd ending.

Pretty cool Trouble in Paradise spot.

Jericho hasn't lost a beat.

Great action here.

Great stuff. The crowd's rightfully into it. Nice ending as well.

Hahahaha. Great mocking of Punk.

And then there's this BS.

Ok then. Not my cup of tea there.

That's it for Raw this week. I'll be back for NXT on Wednesday. A news post will be up later tonight. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment