Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Superstars and Impact Wrestling thoughts- 2/23/12

This week's WWE Superstars has a decidedly international flavor. The South African sensation Justin Gabriel is going one on one with the Punjabi pugilist Jinder Mahal. Who will further their career with a win? Then, on Impact Wrestling, what will be the fallout for Bobby Roode bloodying Sting? Samoa Joe and Magnus must defend their Tag Team Championships against Matt Morgan and Crismon, and the main event will pit Kurt Angle and Bully Ray against Jeff Hardy and James Storm. Brandon Jacobs of the New York Giants will be in their corner, and there will be no disqualifications! All that and more today. Read on for my thoughts on the shows as they happen.

Eeehhh... not really looking forward to this match. McGillicutty's another one of those guys who tries too hard at times.

Riley's getting the crowd into the match. I can not stress enough that that is his job. He's doing good moves while he's doing it as well.

Not a bad spot by McGillicutty pulling him outside of the ring.

NICE neckbreaker.

McGillicutty has some pretty intense facial expressions.

Not bad. McGillicutty's clearly trying to make something of himself.

Riley's got some nice fire.

The fans want Riley to win. That means what they're doing is working.

Very nice hip toss from up top.

I like the name for Riley's finisher.

McGillicutty's, not so much. Not bad from him. He's at least earned another chance in my book.

I like Stanford's commentary a good deal. He actually puts people over.

This could be brutal.

I think WWE just picks names out of the hat for Superstars sometimes.

Impressive strength by Mason, but not much else.

Well, this is getting reactions from the crowd.

That was a cool finisher. Does this mean we can go back to the drawing board as far as Mason's concerned?

It's like WWE's becoming the Olympics.

Mahal can definitely get a crowd to boo him. It's the whole "evil foreigner" thing.

Nice start by these two. Who says Gabriel can't wrestle?

Gabriel really knows his way around the ring. He's also getting better and getting crowd into what he's doing.

Good basic psychology here, and the crowd's into it.

I agree about Jinder seeming like he's more experienced than he is.

Good little match-up going on here. These two play off of each other pretty well.

Great end to Superstars. Watch out for Jinder in the years to come, and Gabriel's coming along nicely, too.

And on to TNA.

It's refreshing to see a heel not take any crap from the GM.

Bobby Roode's one smooth criminal.

We've got to be in for Sting vs. Roode at Victory Road, right?

I love Roode milking the crowd and putting himself over. We don't see nearly enough crowd interaction in promos these days.

Good promo from the jackass champion.

Spear the cameraman for making it obvious he's standing behind something. How hard is it to hold it still?

How soon until we get Morgan vs. Crimson again?

Good smash mouth wrestling here.

Back from break, more good smash mouth wrestling.

Big offense from Morgan. I wouldn't rule this guy out for a future World Title reign.

Yep, another miscue. Tag partner feud incoming.

They need a name for that double-team, and for their team as a whole.

I like the pairing of veterans with relative newcomers.

Jacobs' not a bad talker for someone who doesn't do this for a living. A big physical specimen to boot.

"Brandon Jacobs" sounds like something they'd come up with for a name in FCW.

Good back-and-forth as far as getting over.

Shelley and Ion have done a good job at standing out with their looks.

Yay! Dangerous spots!

Now THAT'S a cool submission move.

I think it's just about time to retire the suicide dive. It's pretty much become meaningless since it seems to happen at least once a show.

They couldn't have made that almost ref bump more obvious.

I really hope we're not going to get to Hulk vs. Garett.

Not as bad as we usually get from Madison.

Forced pop culture reference. That was painful.

Eric Young and ODB could be the hardest act to watch for me in TNA these days.

Though sometimes Madison gives them a run for their money.

Does this mean we're done with Styles feuding with Kazarian and Daniels? If so, I'm all for it. Maybe those two can feud over the combined half of a #$@# I give about them.

That was seriously one of the scariest spots I've seen in quite some time.

I'm glad they did that for Sorensen. I wish him the best.

Yeah, I don't know about the TV Title being on the road to the World Title these days.

Did they just refer to the coverage of WrestleMania in NJ? Great job.

I can imagine the company without Sting, since I was watching before he came in (ignoring his matches in the weekly PPV era).

Good match so far.

AJ Styles is one of only two competitors in TNA history to hold all of the company's male titles (Abyss is the other).

Kazarian could be the least-exciting personality in the company, relative to his tenure and push.

I like Bully Ray interrupting the intro. One of the most improved performers of the past year or so.

Props to everyone here for playing to the crowd.

I like that Jacobs is actually into wrestling.

Kurt Angle, Bully Ray, and Jeff Hardy in prominent positions. I feel like I'm in a time warp. I remember these guys all being on the same card in 2001. I don't think there were many people on that card still around from 1990.

Someone's about to go through a table I think.

That was pretty kickass.

Cringe-worthy Lin reference. Quite shoehorned.

I'm thinking this is a swerve. As in "I'm done taking crap from Bobby Roode".


These two have pretty good chemistry.

Sting's lost his mind. It's crazy and entertaining all at the same time.

That could either really elevate Roode or hinder TNA's growth.

Good end to the show.

That's it for Thursday's wrestling. I'll be back for Smackdown tomorrow, and two news posts will be up later.

No comments:

Post a Comment