Total Pageviews

Friday, May 6, 2016

ROH and Smackdown Reax - 5/5/2016

Read on for my thoughts on yesterday's ROH and Smackdown.
ROH:
- Honma/Tanahashi/Moose/Elgin vs. Hall/Tonga/Fale/Takahashi:
Only one person in this match is under ROH contract at this point.

I like the hoss vs. hoss action to start things off.

Good stuff from the NJPW names, but if I wanted to watch them, they have their own promotion for me to follow.

This is entertaining so far.

A steel chair improves most matches.

I hope Cody Hall ends up doing pretty well for himself.

Takahashi vs. Tanahashi is fun more reasons than the names.

I love Elgin's STRONK. I wish we saw him more in ROH. Obviously he worked there for a while, but I didn't get to see most of it since it was pre-Destination America.

I'm liking the heel shenanigans at play here.

Unshockingly, Moose is more entertaining here than we usually see in ROH.

That was a lot of fun. Maybe this NJPW takeover of ROH isn't such a bad thing.

And then we get a HoT segment. Save us, Dijak!

Colt pinning Lethal in three minutes is LOLROH. If that happened at a WWE show, people would be all over it, saying Jay's "buried." He did just lose after so many wins as champion. Maybe that means Jay loses in Chicago and disappears.

I guess sight-seeing in Japan is less dreadful than seeing some ROH stars in the ring.

- Briscoes vs. WWE superstars Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows:
This is a fun brawl early.

Good action from the Briscoes.

I'm enjoying this spilling out and becoming a big fight. ROH needs more like this.

The Briscoes are clearly having fun here. They seem refreshed.

Good teamwork from Anderson and Gallows (who will also be on Smackdown).

That ended up being pretty good.

Smackdown:
Starting with the Highlight Reel makes sense. They were probably going to do something to set up the main event in Segment 1 anyway, so it might as well be the Highlight Reel.

I like Jericho showing a vicious side as a heel. It's given him some more life as a character.

I particularly like Jericho saying this is his era, given all the talk of it being a new era.

Y2J questioning Sami's morals is great.

Good to see Zayn show some fire. He usually comes across as just happy to be "entertaining the WWE Universe" to use company-approved verbiage.

Miz insinuating Sami's riding his coattails is funny.

Good segment overall.

- Miz vs. Zayn:
Zayn's always absolutely amazing in the ring.

Miz is good at playing off people like Sami.

That moonsault spot tho. WOW.

I was wondering when KO would show up.

Great ending. Owens is a lot of fun.

Cesaro on a roll!

I'm excited for the IC Title showdown.

I like the tension between AJ and his NJPW pals. Extreme Rules should be a lot of fun.

How about Strowman and Rowan take care of Primo and Epico? I don't see how they add much to the tag team landscape.

Nice promo from the Vaudevillains.

- Vaudevillains vs. Axel/Bo:
Good action early.

Axel's a really solid hand to have around.

Fun while it lasted. Aiden and Simon continue to grow on their route to facing New Day.

I'm glad Colin is still fired up without his partner around. Strong promo.

I'm not crazy about Big Cass taking out three people that easily, considering Aiden and Simon need to look like threats against the tag team champs. I am glad he got some revenge for them injuring his partner, but maybe he should have brought a chair or something to give him an edge instead of just destroying everyone?

- Natalya/Becky vs. Emma/Charlotte:
I'm liking the team of Becky and Natalya. They're working together well.

Charlotte and Emma are pretty entertaining as a duo, too!

I'm glad this one's getting a good amount of time.

Great to see Emma back on the main roster. She's been a solid heel.

This one's really picking up!

Really solid match overall.

Is it kayfabe a lot of wrestlers have their own locker rooms? That's what it always seems like in backstage vignettes.

I like AJ taking advantage of the opportunity next time he has a chair.

The main event should be interesting.

Funny Rusev/Lana segment.

HOLY SHIT. I did NOT see Bob Backlund coming back.

The Backlund/Young pairing should be interesting. We'll see how it goes. This more or less confirms PTP is done as a duo; it's worth a shot pushing them as singles stars.

- Rusev vs. Ryder:
I like Ryder never saying die.

Rusev's a great technician. I always enjoy him.

Arrive. Flippy move. Leave.

Crazy Goldango/Gorgeous Truth segment. This has been pretty fun.

- Anderson/Gallows vs. Usos:
Weren't these guys in Japan earlier? Busy day for them.

Well that didn't take long to disintegrate!!

Fun to see everyone collide.

- Reigns/Usos vs. Styles/Anderson/Gallows:
Three Anderson/Gallows matches in one 24-hour period. Wow.

These sides work together well, with the mix of power and agility.

Fun ending segment to the match.

Reigns vs. Styles should be exciting.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment