Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 22, 2016

WWE Extreme Rules preview

Read on for my ideas on booking tonight's WWE special event.
WWE's kind of a clustermess right now with so many talents debuting and returning. I'm going to do more of a "general guidelines and ideas" post for this instead of putting together exactly what to do through Summerslam. I can only imagine what kind of headaches are happening putting this event together.

Kickoff:
- Corbin vs. Ziggler:
Corbin losing here would hurt his momentum so soon after his debut and winning the Andre battle royal. I think Corbin vs. Crews could be interesting, and Corbin could eventually challenge someone like Cesaro, Kalisto, or Zayn for a title. Or he could become someone's hired muscle. He'd fit in as Viktor's partner if Konnor doesn't come back, or he could even beat up men on behalf of someone like Eva Marie or Rosa Mendes. I mean, if they're going to keep paying Rosa, she might as well actually do something. Eva and Corbin could be a good pairing based on the nuclear heat she gets and how neither of them are respected by the fans just wanting to see indie favorites. As for Ziggler, The MITB match seems as obvious as a place as any for him. I know the idea of Ziggler losing and being rewarded with a chance to become No. 1 Contender to the WWE Title is... well, dumb, but he is a former World Champion. As hard as the guy works, I don't really see him moving into anything significant.

Extreme Rules:
- Charlotte vs. Natalya: This one I'm pretty sure about. Charlotte needs to show she can get the job done without her dad in her corner (like she did in NXT). Charlotte wins a great match showcasing what these two can do. I do feel bad for Natalya doing so many jobs these past few years, and I think she does deserve a "thank you" reign before she hangs it up, but not here and not now. I have an awful feeling we're in for Charlotte vs. Stephanie at Summerslam (sadly, probably with Stephanie going over). If they insist on that, at least have Sasha win the title from Charlotte on the road to that feud. They could easily make that from Charlotte pushing Stephanie's buttons and the beloved public face of WWE showing how strong women can make decisions like making Charlotte defend the title against Sasha. Oh, and buy Stephanie's memoir later this year.

- Miz vs. Cesaro vs. Owens vs. Zayn: As much as I'd like to see Cesaro or Zayn win this one, I think all three challengers could easily find their way into the MITB match. How about Miz vs. Big Cass next if Enzo's still on the shelf? Other options are Titus, Swagger, and Sin Cara. Not that anyone expects any of those people to win. It might be too soon to put Darren Young in that position.

- Rusev vs. Kalisto: I'd like to see Rusev regain momentum and look like a threat. I think there's a story to be told with Rusev getting arrogant and earning the ire of Sheamus and/or Del Rio for future feuds. I like Kalisto and am in favor of pushing him, though, so I'm not really going to complain if he wins.

- New Day vs. Vaudevillains: I love New Day, but I think the tag team division could use some shaking up. Aiden and Simon winning because New Day underestimated them is a good story to tell. I definitely don't think the Shining Stars should be the next tag team champions, so this is pretty much the best option to switch the titles to the heels.

- Anderson/Gallows vs. Usos: Anderson and Gallows need a win to look like a threat, although it's possible they lose early in the night and make a statement in the main event. But why not both!? The Usos have beaten them enough at this point. Give Karl and Luke the nod.

- Y2J vs. Ambrose: Ambrose gives Jericho a beating and goes into the MITB match. Jericho decides he's going to go after something more valuable than his jacket, the WWE Championship. Yes, another case of the person losing going on to bigger things, but I think it works in this case.

- Roman vs. Styles: This would be the perfect show for The Club to "accidentally" cost AJ the match and tease there's another leader waiting in the wings before the arrival of Finn Balor on Raw. Yes, Roman stays champ and stays face. I don't dislike the idea of building to Shield vs. Balor Club in some form at Summerslam, although I'm not sure where that leaves AJ. I guess you could do Ambrose/Reigns/AJ vs. Balor/Anderson/Gallows. Or Ambrose/Rollins/AJ vs. Balor/Anderson/Gallows with Reigns defending the WWE Title against Lesnar. At some point HHH should get his WWE Title rematch as well.

As for Cena's impending return, there are plenty of options ranging from Owens, Jericho, Corbin, Lesnar, HHH, and even Mark Henry in a final feud for the World's Strongest Man.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment