Total Pageviews

Monday, May 9, 2016

ROH/NJPW Global Wars 2016 Reax

Read on for my thoughts on last night's ROH/NJPW PPV.

- Strong vs. ACH vs. Page vs. Castle:
When ROH just throws people together into a contender's match.

At least Castle's pretty fun.

Didn't take long for the flippy shit to happen.

That was mostly fine. I'm glad to see Dalton get a nod. He's been a breath of fresh air in ROH.

- Liger/Cheeseburger vs. Addiction:
Nice wrestling early.

I enjoy Cheeseburger refusing to give up, although that's kind of everyone's gimmick in ROH.

Liger's definitely still got it. He belongs in the WWE Hall of Fame someday.

That was fine for the time it had.

It's really hard to take a team seriously as serious ass-kickers taking someone out when they do such a ridiculous move. MINUS FIVE STARZZZZZ~!

- War Machine vs. Briscoes:
Nice work early. I enjoy when ROH actually has good wrestling.

I'd love to see a show with no dives outside the ring. It's really overdone.

Was this a no-DQ match? I don't remember there being mention of that previously. Obviously ROH just does whatever they want to get the crowd to react.

I like this becoming a big brawl.

I don't usually like War Machine trying to be as quick as the other teams in ROH, but they're definitely talented.

This is becoming a war. I like it.

And here's some flippy.

I like both these teams for the most part. Especially when they control the amount of flippy.

That was mostly good. The ending was a little anti-climactic, but overall I enjoyed it.

- Naito vs. O'Reilly:
I like Naito. He could actually believably kick some ass.

Kyle's a pretty talented guy.

This is enjoyable! It actually looks (mostly) like a fight!!

I'm impressed by the work of both men here.

BASED NAITO. Destroying a top ROH name, then kicking his ass. NJPW obviously wears the pants in this relationship.

- Elgin/Tanahashi vs. Moose/Okada:
New Japan getting chants at ROH haha I love it Maggle.

I'd rather see Elgin vs. Moose in a title match with Jay Lethal working this position on the card.

Damn it Moose don't become another high-flyer.

This is all pretty fun. Everyone meshes together pretty well.

Okada and Tanahashi are pretty solid as well. I'm getting into these NJPW guys.

For once I agree with the "this is awesome" chants.

Nice, nice match. Everyone did good things.

- Ishii vs. Fish:
Ishii's gonna kill you. Ishii's gonna kill you.

Fish would have better luck against The Terminator.

Bobby can be a pretty good "fighting spirit" guy.

Jesus Christ this is a war.

Holy shit that was really something. Both men told a really compelling story.

- Bucks/Guerrillas vs. KUSHIDA/Sydal/MCMG:
Yo dog I heard you like MOVES so we saw how many flips and dives we could fit in one match.

You pretty much know the story here: everybody did a lot of gymnastics and acrobatics.

I don't really "get" what Bullet Club is anymore. They're more of a ripoff late era nWo when everyone was in it and no one stood out. Except instead of older WWF stars, it's kids playing on a trampoline. This is more Slamball than basketball.

- Lethal vs. Cabana:
I'd love for Cabana to end this miserable title reign.

Glad to see Colt's really over. I wish he had made it further in wrestling.

Colt works circles around this guy. I think Lethal can be a good wrestler (as we saw in TNA), but he's stuck working the ROH style.

GOD that rollup spot was good. I like Colt bringing something different to ROH.

COME ON COLT.

Oh, no. Oh... oh God no.

Holy shit this is really stupid. Like they took the worst stereotypes of wrestling and threw it into one angle: heel factions, flippy guys, and the "lights going out" gimmick.

I actually like Adam Cole most of the time. It's a shame he's now saddled with one of the most overexposed acts in wrestling.

This is more or less so bad it's good. They're trying SSSSSSOOOOO hard.

So this is where wrestling has fallen to in 2016: Everything's edgy and ironic and everyone's just there to watch cool moves.

There were some really good parts to this show, but the ending really drug it down. Maybe this is the start of the fall that brings in a new booking team/philosophy. They didn't just jump the shark' they superkicked it into space.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment