Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 19, 2017

NXT and ROH Reax - 1/18/17

Read on for my thoughts on last night's NXT and ROH.
-- NXT:
- Cross vs. Lewis:
Nikki's unhinged! I like it. They should start carting her around like Hannibal Lecter.

Did Kennadi really think she had a chance against such a wild wrestler?

This is insane! I don't remember the last time I saw a woman so convincingly unstable.

Good for what it was.

- Post-match:
I like the idea of a woman convincingly dangerous enough for men to have to restrain her.

- Jose/Reeves:
I think Jose should have a little higher goals for himself. He's had plenty of parties now; it's time to get on the map for a big match or opponent, or even a main roster spot.

I like Kona taking up some initiative to make a name for himself.

- Revival/TM-61:
After being two time NXT tag champs, it's time to set your sights on the main roster, guys.

I like TM-61 not just letting Revival get into the title picture. It's time for some new blood!

Ooh. Revival means business.

- Strong vs. Cutler:
Strong is very technically sound.

Cutler's not backing down from the former ROH champ.

Good to see Cutler looking to make this a fight; no way is he going to beat Roderick hold-for-hold.

This is just an exhibition for Roderick. He's plenty "ready" from a standpoint of doing moves.

NICE ending sequence from Roderick. Good stuff.

- Post-match:
Strong vs. Almas should be quite good. I don't know how much flavor it will have, but it will be fine from technical standpoint.

- Ember/Liv:
I like Ember picking her spots. It's entirely possible she's champ after WM33.

At least Liv is stepping up to the plate.

I'm curious to see how the next batch of women get integrated into things, and what that will mean for Liv. I suppose she's gunning for the Eva Marie/Carmella role.

- Tye/Sanity:
Tye would be perfect for a TV Championship, but I don't think NXT is big enough to support that.

Dillinger has put in a LOT of work to get here.

Don't quit, Tye!!

That was starting to stall. Glad it was interrupted when it was.

I like Eric trying to recruit Dillinger. I'm very surprised they haven't done the obvious Roode/Young pairing or angle. That's good, though. Both are involved in fresh stories.

OOOOOOHHHHHHH. Tye, I don't know if you should have done that, man.

I like Eric not immediately siccing his dogs on Tye. He's more manipulative than that.

EY pulls off the cult leader thing better than I expected.

Tye, do you have a death wish!?

Well, Tye tried to put up a fight.

Oh I'm liking Damo/Dain already.

- Revival vs. TM-61:
Dash and Dawson aren't playing around!

Oh, I'm liking this. An all-out fight.

The Revival are absolutely main roster ready. I really want to see them go at it with Sheamus and Cesaro.

I like Thorne's spunk.

I'm liking this overall.

It's a shame they had to improvise an ending there. That could have been quite the match.

- Post-match:
JESUS. Revival aren't going to let that one go, are they?

They're really doing a number on Thorne.

Miller saving his man.

- Nakamura/Roode:
I like Bobby wanting to stand out from non-glorious contract signings.

Roode is a really talented talker.

HAHAHHA that threw Nakamura's accomplishments under a bus, but it was a pretty good slam from the former TNA Champion.

Bobby talking circles around Nak right now.

DAMN. Bobby digging at the champ's fashion, too?

Shinsuke's a weird guy. I don't know how those promos are going to translate if he ends up on the main roster.

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHH. Bobby burying Japan, too!!!??? Kenny Omega might need to come address that. I'm sure Meltzer's typing up a 1,000 word response.

That was really great from Bobby. He's nothing short of incredible.

Hahahaaha I love Nak sometimes.

Great ending.

-- ROH:
- Rebellion vs. White/Rush/Dijak:
I wish The Rebellion got a promo here. White and Rush are about as generic as you can get; The Rebellion should call them out for being the kind of thing to save ROH from.

At least the faces have some spunk.

I like Dijak a good deal.

Good teamwork from the heels.

Rebellion is a talented trio, but they don't really stand out in ROH and they don't really have momentum anymore.

Rush can certainly fly.

Nothing wrong with Rush or White as wrestlers; they just blend in with everyone else doing their respective styles.

King's worth looking at for NXT.

Ugggggghhhhh same old shit from the babyfaces. Flips galore.

At least Dijak can be interesting when he doesn't also have to fly around.

The action's fine. It just feels like Superstars or something without there being heat to the story.

Bleeeehhhhh. Nothing new in the land of honor.

- Post-match:
I'd be embarrassed by that loss as well!

Really? Chris Sabin ran them off? At least have Shelley with him.

- Cody/Corino/Sullivan/Martinez/Whitmer:
This guy can talk. I've missed him doing something other than "golly gee I love wrestling" babyface and.... whatever Stardust was.

DAMN. Cody going hard on Ring Of Plebs.

Ring of Not Signed By NXT or NJPW Yet.

I love this. Cody's hitting the right criticisms.

This is good.

Looks like this is going to be the write-off for Corino.

As much as I loved Corino's angle with Whitmer, I don't blame Corino for hanging up the boots to become a trainer. He's wrestled for more than two decades now.

I am glad we got Corino/Cody before Corino jumped ship.

This should be good!

- Cody vs. Corino:
This brawl is already making up for that first match. I'm going to miss Steve getting in the ring.

Cody's very athletic. Glad to see him fired up.

Oh, man. Cody's having a lot of fun.

This is solid! I like the callbacks to Dusty.

You should have gone for the cover, you idiot!

And that's why Cody's time is now. ROH is lucky to have him; I hope he sticks around a while.

- Cody/Lethal:
How cowardly of Jay to interfere like that!

I would have watched Cody vs. Lethal in NXT. I really wonder how successful Lethal would be in a bigger pond.

HA! ROH is basically a training ground for people to move on to a bigger promotion. Few people elect to stay there.

I do want to see another round of these two.

- Lethal vs. Liger:
How cool is it to still see Liger wrestling in 2017?

Jay's definitely at the top of his game. One hell of an athlete.

It's tough for anyone to keep pace with someone like Jay Lethal.

Lethal's athleticism is off-the-charts.

Big win for Lethal. I'm very interested to see who wins this tournament.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment