Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Raw Reax - 1/9/17

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Raw.

- Steph/Foley/Seth/Braun:
OK at least the cheap pop was funny. I hope Foley is able to get successful hip surgery soon. Maybe tonight they'll write him off?

So umm how did Taker end up on Raw? My guess: he was never actually signed or drafted -- he's still a free agent.

How does one enter the Rumble!? Is there a form to fill out or something? I don't see how it's not Steph/Foley's call.

What does it say about Steph and Foley that they can't call Raw wrestler Goldberg up and tell him to show up for work? Is he the one determining when he wrestles? That doesn't say a lot for them as leaders.

Oh FUCK Seth has balls.

- JeriKO/Reigns/Braun/Seth/Steph:
I'd actually mark if Taker came out and brawled with Strowman.

I like JeriKO taking advantage of Braun's assistance.

Seth was smart to bring a chair to this big fight.

I'm ready for someone to take Steph's place in charge of Raw. She's been doing the authority figure thing for a LONG time now.

- Braun vs. Seth:
This is starting off well.

Seth makes an effective crash test dummy.

Hopefully Braun slides into that Big Show/Mark Henry role as those names reach the end of their in-ring days.

Rollins using the beard was good.

Strowman being set up as the dominant force well.

Rollins is giving it everything he has against the mastadon.

OH SHIT WHAT A BLOCKBUSTER COUNTER!!!

Strowman is just a force of nature here.

I loved the ending. Pure chaos.

- Post-match:
Fun. Both men survived.
 
- Sasha/Bayley/Charlotte/Nia:
Ha. Like either of them will be able to dethrone Charlotte. It will probably be Ronda Rousey or someone else who doesn't need the rub who stops her momentum.

Good fight we've got going on here.

Nia's growth has been somewhat stunted having to share the heel spotlight with Charlotte.

- Gallagher vs. Gulak:
Ahhhh I love this kind of work.

Good submissions.

That was pretty fun for the time it had. It might be good for Jack to drop the European uppercuts; save those for Oney Lorcan when he gets called up for the division.

- Gallagher promo:
I love Gentleman Jack. This is what the Vaudevillains needed to be.

Hug it out! Hug it out! Hug it out!

- Foley/Steph:
Damn. You'd think Mick would have a way to contact Taker given how much they've worked together over the years. Maybe check the boiler room?

Hahahahaha Foley acknowledging my point. Good job putting over the guy who's still got a least a few months left in his WWE run.

Foley getting Taker to Tombstone Steph would make my night. Not that male violence against women in real life is OK or anything.

- HBK/Rusev/Jinder/Lana/Enzo/Cass:
I kind of want one more Shawn match, even if he just superkicks Bo Dallas and pins him or something.

OK NOW it feels like we're on the road to Wrestlemania.

Hahahaha Shawn can work a crowd.

NICE job putting over the current people in the match. Funny that he left out Y2J, though. Makes total sense in kayfabe to not acknowledge someone he's had so many issues with.

Rusev does NOT care about your movie.

Funny, considering Lana was an actress before she came to WWE.

I love Rusev... most of the time.

Ugh. Golden Globes reference. At least namedrop Meryl Streep after she sonned the president-elect.

This is good to feature the current wrestlers.

Yeah this is trying pretty hard with the movie references.

DAMN. Lots of wheelchairs going around.

Ha. Rusev volunteering his boy.

Good use of Shawn overall.

- Jinder vs. Cass:
Yeah, no way Jinder's winning this one.

Cass' offense is basic, but effective.

Mahal's doing better than I expected. I guess they needed to stretch this one out.

And there's your Sweet Chin Music.

Good for what it needed to be.

- Emmalina:
For Christ's sakes it's time to set a debut date at this point.

- Neville vs. Lince:
Dorado showing good fire after Neville refused to be sportsmanlike.

I like what Neville's doing now.

NICE. Neville's got a gameplan and he's executing it. Was the injury the best thing to happen to him?

SWEET ending. Neville is substantially better than he's been since his WWE debut.

- Post-match:
Neville putting the whole division on notice.

It's hard to take a run-in seriously with that music.

Pretty good to build to that future title match.

- Steph/Sasha/Bayley:
Unless Sasha or Bayley are going to put Steph in her place at some point, I'm not a fan of this.

Meh.

- Gallows vs. Sheamus:
I miss Festus. I wouldn't mind this team getting a total reboot and dropping the "we were a team in Japan" thing unless it's actually going to mean something when Balor returns.

Sheamus is on a tear here.

Solid work going on.

Sometimes you just want to see a slugfest.

Nice brawl we've got going on here.

Blehhhhhh. There are only so many ways to build a tag feud, unfortunately. Same old, same old.

- Reigns promo:
Oh my God this is Eddie Edwards bad.

That was OK, I guess. I hope it was just the writers.

- Foley/Steph/Taker/Braun:
Foley pretty desperate here.

OH MY GOD EVEN TAKER HAS TO STEP ASIDE FOR STEPHANIE.

This is terrible. Unless Foley's going to fire back or has something up his sleeve, this is really embarrassing.

They really had to tie Taker into the Foley/Steph angle? Jesus. I wish he was important enough to be his own thing.

Remember last time Taker said he was back and then we didn't see him for a month and a half?

Welp. I expect we're in for in for Taker winning the Rumble to take on Cena.

Or Taker vs. Braun!? That could be interesting. I don't think people will be thrilled by it, though. Maybe at Fastlane as a prelude to Taker/Cena?

So there's your explanation: Taker shows up where he wants, when he feels like it.

At least Taker can get heat on Steph. I can see her doing something to screw him over, though.I'd actually watch another round of Taker/HHH, but it's not like they can do anything they haven't already done several times.

Well that was cool. Is this Taker's last ride?

- JeriKO interview:
I'd watch Taker vs. Owens. I don't think Taker would take a popup powerbomb, though. Not that I blame him.

Pretty fun.

- Bayley/Sasha vs. Nia/Charlotte:
I'd be OK with this turning into more of a fatal four-way.

I feel like we've seen these names face off about a thousand times now. They're very talented, but eventually it gets tiring.

Nia and Charlotte make a pretty scary duo.

I like Nia not taking any shit from anyone. I'm sure she'll have to be "put in her place" by Steph at some point, though.

- Dar/Alicia:
I like Noam.

Well that was weird.

- New Day/Titus:
I wonder how many people backstage have any idea what DMs are.

Ahhhhhhhh those were the days. I'm surprised they acknowledged that era of NXT.

Hahahahaha this is ridiculous.

Well I guess he can at least say he's getting TV time.

Ahh Titus is going to job to ALL of New Day.

- Titus vs. Kofi:
This is going pretty well.

I like Titus. He doesn't have the most moves or the most complex moves, but he gets the job done.

I miss the dog bark!

DAMN. Kofi got SLUNG!

Fun for what it was.

- Reigns vs. JeriKO:
Roman making his mark.

Ha! Use the cage to your advantage, man!

OH SHIT WHAT A BUMP IN THE SHARK CAGE.

It's going to look bad if two men can't beat Roman.

Reigns is better than he gets credit for.

This is solid.

NICE counter to the Popup Codebreaker (which is a really sick move).

Everyone going all out!

DAMN. They're putting a number on Roman. No way he gets out of this one unscathed unless Rollins helps him out.

That was pretty good work.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment