Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Takeover: San Antonio Reax

Read on for my thoughts on last night's NXT special event.

-- Kickoff:
- Announcing change:
Well that's a big announcement right out of the gate! That makes sense; Corey's a main roster guy now. Good to see Nigel getting work while they figure out the situation with the weekly UK series. I assume he'll do NXT as well as the UK show if/when that gets off the ground.

- Breakout Star of the Year:
I'm surprised by that one. I really like the duo, but I expected someone else to take that honor.

I wouldn't mind a co-women's champion angle, but it's pretty gimmicky and I think the NXT faithful would hate it.

- Revival interview:
These guys have got to be headed to the main roster soon. They've been absolute workhorses for NXT.

Looks like we might have one more title feud from Revival before they do leave NXT.

- Roode interview:
Great to see Bobby getting to be a big deal in NXT. He had pretty much stalled in TNA after reaching the top of the mountain, so it's good for him to get new opponents.

I'm ready for the new NXT Champion. I love Nakamura, but I'm fine with him losing tonight.

- Ember on the panel:
Ember's been kind of on the sidelines in all this. I hope she gets into the title picture sooner rather than later.

Asuka essentially having three opponents should be kind of fun. She's been built well as a force of nature.

And there's your tease for Ember as the next No. 1 contender.

- #DIY promo:
Oh, man. That was weak. They need more to their characters, because now they're just "babyface team who likes to win matches because wrestling!!"

- Female Competitor of the Year:
I thought for sure Bayley would take that.

I do hope they're having Asuka work on promos, since she's not getting to do many lately.

- Male Competitor of the Year:
I like that Shinsuke is focused on his match tonight.

-- Takeover:
- E. Young vs. Dillinger:
Nice start with the jacket. I'm really liking Sanity.

Good work early.

Tye as the never-say-die babyface is working well. He works hard.

Sanity already doing a number on Tye.

I'm loving the wild antics of Sanity.

NICE dropkick on the turnbuckles. Dillinger's got a future; that doesn't mean "he'll be WWE Champion someday," but it should mean he'll get a decent spot on the roster.

Nice use of the beard.

Tye's on fire!!

Dillinger just might overcome the odds! This has been a good story.

NICE counter to Eric's finisher. I love that story.

And a really nice save by Wolfe.

Tye's had enough of Sanity's bullshit.

Really good opener overall. Tye looked fine in defeat, which I'm sure means he's been "buried" like Baron Corbin when he lost to Cena. Ugh.

- Joe in the crowd:
Hmmmm.... what if he gets involved with someone tonight? Ohno? Itami?

- Almas vs. Strong:
Cien with the mindgames.

Smooth action here. Roderick's good at that.

Hahahahaha nice running slap. This guy's going places.

Almas has a strategy here. He's getting more comfortable in a WWE ring.

Good work from the former La Sombra.

Roderick Strong is always a good utility player. He can do the nuts and bolts of a match to make it a seamless experience.

Nice offense from the former ROH Champion.

This is heating up pretty well.

I like this turning into a bunch of hard hits instead of fancy technical moves. They're pissed and no longer just trying to win.

This is really solid. Good to have Roderick on board to work with people newer to the WWE style.

OH MY GOD what a backbreaker on the turnbuckle.

WOW. I didn't see Roderick winning that. That was a pretty good ending sequence, though.

- #DIY vs. Authors:
I'm liking this story already. Much more fun than flashy team vs. flashy team.

Tough work competing with these two walls of humanity.

Throwing caution to the wind with big dives makes more sense when competing against two big guys who will not go down otherwise.

This is good. The smaller guys are giving it all they've got, and the Authors are using the size that brought them to the dance.

The Authors' size and power is just crazy.

#DIY have to be clever and wise here.

OOOOHHHHHH SSSHHHIIITTTTTTT he German suplexed those two mastadons!

Ciampa has some real fire in him.

NICE double spear. Innovative thinking.

Akam and Rezar together is a terrifying sight. #DIY might have an even chance in a handicap match.

The babyfaces are doing everything they can to get a surprise win.

I loved the double submission spot. It showed tenacity and desperation.

NICE job getting out of the submissions. These guys are much better at being monsters than War Machine.

#DIY firing with everything they have!!

DAMN. Good ending to a really good match.

- Rollins/HHH:
Well, I definitely didn't expect Rollins here tonight!

Hahahaha HHH doesn't have time for this. He has a show to run!

Seth taking out some aggression here.

Will we see more of this at the Rumble?

- Asuka vs. Billie vs. Peyton vs. Cross:
Funny start. This should be fun with all the different personalities involved.

Smart strategy from the Aussies.

Asuka and Nikki are fine with this kind of fight.

This is already fun.

WHOA. How's that for a German suplex?

I love Nikki's barely contained fury.

OH MY GOD what a neckbreaker.

This is pretty fun, because I don't think Billie and Peyton know quite how to take Nikki, nor how to combat the champion.

Good teamwork from the award winners.

This isn't going to end well...

Hey, maybe the Aussies can take the title after all!

I'm enjoying the strategy on display. It's different from your standard four-way.

I love Peyton doing the Widow's Peak.

She did it after all! Strong run from the Empress of Tomorrow.

- Bate appears:
I hope they didn't just bring Tyler to the U.S. to sit in the crowd. On that note, it might not be a bad idea to have some UK names work NXT and/or 205 Live while the plans for a weekly show get worked out.

- Shinsuke vs. Roode:
I love a good feeling out process.


Nice work to get the early advantage.

Hahahaha funny taunt exchange.

Pretty good so far.

I'm liking the exchange of holds.

Yeah, be careful with those taunts, Bobby.

I like Shinsuke's strikes.

Roode has an opportunity to take advantage after Shinsuke's spill on the outside.

I like what Bobby's doing on offense.

Hahaha Roode out Nakamura-ing Nakamura.

Nakamura's not going down without dishing out a lot of punishment.

This is very good.

Nice work between two top guys.

I like Roode's chicanery.

Shinsuke with the mindgames.

Nice. I like seeing Nakamura pull out some submissions.

This is good.

I'm really liking the story of Shinsuke's knee being compromised.

Uh-oh. I hope that's not a real injury.

Shinsuke's got guts!

Bobby has him where he wants him.

Bobby vs. Albert in Orlando!?

NIIIICCCEEEE ending sequence.

That was another really good show.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment