Total Pageviews

Monday, February 27, 2017

Impact heads in Mexico, WWE scouts in Far East, Heyman roasts ECW alum, Drew leaves Impact, and Questions on Billie+Peyton, archive footage being added to WWE Network all at once, Liv Morgan-Carmella, Naomi's return, and battle royal elimination rules

Impact Wrestling president Ed Nordholm and chief creative officer Jeff Jarrett attended a Crash show in Mexico. They were likely scouting talents to work Impact at some point, potentially as part of a working agreement between the two sides.

WWE recently scouted talent in Singapore and the Philippines. That could easily be a stepping stone to recruiting for an Asian championship tournament. I like the idea of those countries developing a wrestling culture.

Paul Heyman responded to ECW alum C.W. Anderson's recent podcast appearance. Due to his response being split among many tweets, I'll copy and paste it below. Any abbreviations are Heyman's:

- As we sit here about 2 enjoy Korean BBQ, I decided 2 go against how I usually handle wannabes who like 2 name drop (after 16 years, no less)
- I saw an interview in which #CWAnderson claims I was in LA shooting #Rollerball instead of trying to save #ECW back in 2000 ....
- It's absurd that people have done nothing to talk about in 17 years so they are constrained to address their heartbreak about 2000/01 ...
- Of course, that makes me an even bigger schmuck to feel compelled to ANSWER these moronic comments, but the food is cooking so ...
- (1) Rollerball was never filmed in LA. It was filmed in Montreal and then in Yonkers, NY
- (2) My scenes in Rollerball were show in June and July, 2001. Now when #ECW was in business. I was actually booked for the movie thru @WWE
- (3) The insinuation that I was shooting movie(s) in LA instead of trying to save what was my life (at the time) (#ECW) is just ignorant.
- (4) Not only did I desperately try every angle 2 save the company, I put in every last dime I personally had, even when the ship was sinking
- (5) I have zero regrets over any of this. I went bankrupt trying to save #ECW, and have never regretted my investment and never will.
- (6) So when someone repeats a blatant lie about my commitment at the time to the product to which I devoted seven years of my life, it's ...
- ... nothing short of ignorance on full display for the entire world to see. It's a shame I waited this long to correct the record on this
- ... BS that has lingered for all these years, but I remember sitting on the @WWE plane with @VinceMcMahon and someone had said something ...
- .. so outlandish about him, and everyone was trying to get Vince to reply. He turned to me and said ...
- "I focus on revenue-producing public statements. Anything else is a waste of my time, and my time is limited. I have things to do." (cont)
- I also sit there every week and see @BrockLesnar laugh at every rumor, every innuendo, every claim made about him ....
- And when I say "so, Brock ... is there a retort?" He laughs out loud and says "not a chance!"
- So today, I decided to lower myself and answer a claim that people w/ nothing to do seem to repeat with no regard for accuracy.
- I accept all criticism 4 this diatribe, and confess I should have been above it all, and offer no excuses as to why I decided to address it.
- Oh I almost forgot. To answer #CW's nagging self-question as to why he was paid $75 a night when others had more (at least on paper) ... That was the going rate for a lower level stooge who reported on the locker room to Dreamer. But admittedly, he was a damn good one. PROPS!

-- WOW. That's one hell of a promo from Paul, especially the shot at the end. I'll cut CW a little slack for addressing ECW closing down because that's probably why he was interviewed. It's worth noting CW still gets bookings as a wrestler, so he's not just sitting around complaining about ECW. And Heyman's definitely busy and successful enough to not concern himself with what former employees are saying, but that clearly struck a nerve.

-- PWInsider.com did research on Heyman's claims about Rollerball and found evidence to support him against CW's allegations. I can understand being frustrated ECW didn't last longer, but there's currently nothing to suggest Heyman bailed on the company in order to do Rollerball.

Drew Galloway has departed Impact Wrestling. While I can't say this is a shock, it's definitely a big loss for the company. Drew has absolutely worked his ass off to be a top act there, revitalizing his career after being released from WWE. Wherever he ends up next will be gifted a young and talented athlete. He has a number of options, from the UK scene to potentially returning to WWE/NXT.

- Galloway's departure is largely a matter of having a lot of interested parties and Impact not really reaching out to him until the 12th hour. They valued him and offered him a good deal to be a top guy, but he decided to see what other opportunities he had elsewhere. I'm going to chalk this one up largely to the changes behind-the-scenes in Impact. So much is going on to transition into a Nordholm-Jarrett administration that a number of contracts went down to the wire. I'm under the impression they expected Drew to come in for the next set of tapings to discuss his future, potentially with the hope he'd at least work those dates on the way out. But with his contract up and other work available, he opted to move on from the company. There were going to be potential issues with Drew's UK dates if he stayed with Impact, especially as they plan for live events this summer. This move eliminates that from being an issue.

As for the Impact Grand Championship, Moose became champion in a match to air soon on Impact Wrestling. I hope Moose does a good job as champion. He's another guy w-ho could be on WWE's radar in the future; Impact might have the same problem in the future.

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. They're a talented duo and complement each other well. Their experience together and in general shows.

2. I do think it would have been cool for them to air episodes every week like they aired in real time, but I also get that binge-watching is the norm for a lot of people now. There's nothing stopping someone from watching an episode each week like how they originally aired, though.

3. Oh yeah, there are definitely some big similarities. It happens. Liv's best bet is to do what she can to not be a less polished version of a young wrestler WWE already has. I would expect they'll be on different shows like Nia Jax and Tamina so there won't be that kind of overlap.

4. It's definitely possible we see her go for the title again at WM33. I hope this is just a minor misstep in her career.

5. At least it's consistent. They're eliminated when their feet hit the floor, no matter who eliminated them. It does beg the question why more wrestlers don't take advantage of that fact!

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment