Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 23, 2017

NXT and ROH Reax - 2/22/17

Read on for my thoughts on last night's NXT and ROH.
-- NXT:
NXT thoughts were lost from one draft to another, so here's a quick rundown:

- Moon vs. Peyton vs. Liv:
Peyton was in a weird situation here as the one heel trying to compete with two babyfaces. I think this was mainly a way to get Liv more in-ring experience on TV while keeping Ember just outside of the title picture. Peyton winning was a nice surprise. I assume we'll begin Ember/Asuka hype after next week.

- UK Title hype:
Nice to see the title mattering while WWE figures out their next steps on the brand itself. This gives the talents involved more exposure, more work, etc. Good!

- Dunne vs. Andrews:
This match was quite good. What separated this from Andrews' Impact work was having a long singles match with someone who wasn't also trying to do a lot of flashy spots. He can be good in the role of the firey athletic babyface. I'm really sold on Dunne. He's a great contrast to most of today's wrestlers and a believable rough fighter. I'm very glad to see him get a chance to show what he can do. Both men were solid and should be good additions to the UK brand.

- Billie/Peyton:
I hope we're not in for a split and feud just yet. I'm sure they'd both do well at that, but I love them a lot as a duo!!

- Clark video:
I'm glad to see Patrick again. NXT could use some more characters.

- Tye promo:
Glad to see him used as a babyface. He's a good hand. I'm worried he'll end up in the Tyler Breeze role of being in NXT for a long time without winning the title, then filling space on the main roster. I think he's very talented, but works best at making others look good rather than being someone worthy of a push himself.

- Roode vs. Jose:
NWJ seems to be improving. This match was partially to have him train with a top-level athlete. Him using the chokeslam could work out alright, since Kane, Big Show, and Taker aren't exactly full-timers these days. Roode, of course, is amazing and at the top of his game. I can't wait to see what he does on the main roster in 2018. They've got to use him there, right?

- Roode/Ohno:
I look forward to their match given their pre-NXT reputations. Kassius' first NXT run didn't go as well as he wanted it to, but things look good this time. I'm surprised they'd never faced off before NXT. Roode makes a great calculating heel.


-- ROH: 
- Silas vs. Bull:
I feel like it took a long time to get back to this.

I'm liking this start.

WHOA WHOA WHOA I did NOT expect James to pull out a headscissors.

This is fun. I like the dynamic here, and I hope we see more from Bull.

WHOA. Silas pulling out some flippy, too! Unfortunately we'll probably get a lot of that on this episode.

Good to see something kind of different from ROH.

Funny spot with Bruiser saving Silas from the suplex.

Man. Bull's improved.

Pretty good!

- J. Briscoe promo:
Man. The Briscoes are just ROH 4 lyfe, huh?

That was pretty good.

- Fish promo:
Another thing that took forever to follow up on.

I'm glad Bobby's getting to shine some without Kyle.

That was pretty good.

- Cabana promo:
I'm liking this episode. It has more character progression than your usual "watch generic people do generic things" episode.

As fun as Colt is as a face, I'm liking this, too.

Now that's how you cut a promo. Other than Iron Jew. That was goofy from a heel.

- Cabana vs. Boys:
I really hope someone as accomplished as Colt can beat these two.

Hahaha nice spot going into break.

Good to see Colt's Greatest Hits here.

Cabana's making a statement with these two.

- Daniels promo:
Man, talk about a guy who's had a really big run without winning the big one. In ROH or Impact for that matter.

This could be a really big year for Daniels. I'd definitely like to see him get a "thank you" run with the gold before he hangs the boots up.

- TPT video:
This is particularly funny because Dijak has left the company and Rush is expected to be done soon, too.

- J. Briscoe vs. Daniels:
I definitely don't want to see Jay in another title match. Very talented guy, but I've seen plenty of Cole, Lethal, and Jay Briscoe in main events.

Good start. I almost always love the "trying to win with a finisher early but it's countered" spot. Remind the fans it can go down at any moment!

I hope Daniels is the Cinderella story ROH needs in 2017.

I like Jay showing his nastier side. It seems like Daniels has randomly become a babyface, but that's fine by me.

Christopher Daniels is like ROH's Chris Jericho as far as being able to work with anyone and hang with people more than ten years younger than he is.

GOOD GOD Jay's head bouncing off the rope looked pretty sick given what we know about CTE.

This is a pretty good war.

MAN. Impressive Arabian Press and all, but that head bump was NASTY.

I like the idea of this becoming so important their partners got up from the booth.

This one's what wrestling should be other than those scary head bumps.

This is really good.

I really liked the counter to the potential BME. It was a nice reminder that, hey, this is a match instead of just a bunch of cool moves. Don't get cocky.

Daniels was just really determined to try a BME, huh?

I liked Daniels not being able to counter the Jay Driller as much as just surviving it.

NICE, NICE ending. Big match and a big moment.

- Post-match:
I'm glad they had a big heartwarming moment for Daniels instead of a Bullet Club beatdown or other interruption. That was done really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment