Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 2, 2017

NXT and ROH Reax - 2/1/17

Read on for my thoughts on last night's NXT and ROH.
-- NXT:
- Ember vs. Aliyah:
I was hoping they were going to build Ember up as a top name, but she just got caught and almost pinned right out of the gate. Kind of hurts her credibility as far as beating Asuka.

Solid work so far. Heck, Aliyah might already be better than Carmella.

Aliyah's not bad at all!

I would have thought Moon would dominate; I'm glad they're letting Aliyah show what she can do, as well.

NICE ending. Good work from both.

- EY/Tye promos:
Glad to see Sanity as a real threat. I want to see them face off with the Authors of Pain at some point.

Oh no. Don't turn him into a "golly gee, so happy to be here" babyface.

Umm, yeah, Tye. Don't stop there. That should just be a stepping stone to even bigger goals.

- Asuka promo:
Ehhhhhh. That all kind of came out of nowhere. Not a fan.

- Ember promo:
Meh. Would have been better if Asuka had an idea of who Ember is instead of totally no-selling her. I guess the idea is to make her cocky and overlook the one who will defeat her, but it came across as "this person who's been winning for months isn't important to the champ"

- Bate vs. Lorcan:
Oney needs to get a British passport so he can compete for the belt.

I'm liking this so far.

Bate's got athleticism, and Lorcan's definitely put in a lot of work.

Lorcan's totally ready for 205 Live.

OK, we get it, dude. You do European uppercuts. I do like his tenacity.

I'm a little iffy on Tyler.

Is Bate talented for 19? You better believe it. I was just expecting more from all the hype. Certainly not a bad match, but Oney outshone him.

- Strong promo:
OK, I guess. He's definitely a good worker. I just don't really want to see him at the NXT Title level.

- Authors/Ellering promo:
I like Paul Ellering a lot. I'm very glad they're not trying to do "LOD 2017" but just using him to bolster two massive beats.

- Ohno note:
I'm very interested to see what's next for Kassius. I expected to see him on-camera at Takeover.

- Roode promo:
Hahaha Bobby burying that condescending question.

I'm excited for the GLORIOUS era. He's definitely a really talented guy.

- Graves sendoff:
I like Corey a lot. Glad he's getting to contribute to WWE outside the ring.

I'm glad Corey still has a big passion for wrestling and helping out.

This is a great promo!!

That was so good!

Ahhhhh the Drifter. Always good for getting the crowd to seethe.

- Samson vs. Jose:
I like Elias' aggression. He was interrupted, after all.

Man. Elias is just plain mean and nasty.

Jose's got enough in-ring skills to not JUST be Dancing Gimmick No. 344.

This is pretty heated for what's essentially a Kickoff show match.

I'm liking Jose pretty good here.

Fine enough! Both men look to have futures.

-- ROH:
- Cole promo:
Looks like it really is over now. Unless they end up fighting again in NXT and/or WWE.

That was a big night for Adam Cole. That's for sure. I just wonder if the World Title will be enough of an incentive to keep him from thinking about going to Orlando.

- Announcer change:
So, NO ONE is replacing Nigel? I guess that's one possible solution.

- Cheeseburger/Ferrara vs. Tempura Boyz vs. Shaheem/St. Giovanni:
Good start. This match should mean something.

I don't really see any of these teams dethroning the Young Bucks.

Fine double-teams, but no one really stands out because everyone's doing fast action.

Impressive moves, but this just comes across as a popcorn match to have athleticism for the hell of it.

I'm liking the Tempura Boyz here.

This is good enough action.

BIG doubleteam from whatever the team of Ali and Leon is called.

Fine enough action.

Solid ending.

- Bucks/T. Boyz/Cole:
"Hey, what we're doing now isn't important. We're just killing time until the Hardys get here."

Basically no-selling Tanaka and Komatsu unless they come in with a chair or something and get revenge ahead of next week.

Cole's out of mountains to climb. What's left for him to do? How many more opponents can they line up for him?

Hahaha I guess they're acknowledging Kyle O'Reilly is pretty much surely gone.

Cole has a point. How are any of these people threats?

I was hoping someone would come out and be an actual challenge to Cole, but I think they're going the long route and waiting for the tournament to end.

- Scurll vs. Robinson:
I'm liking this so far.

I like what Scurll brings to the table, and I applaud Juice for looking to reinvent himself.

That was a BBBIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGG headbutt. Impressive.

Nice work going on here.

No real complaints here; both men are doing well.

That was quite good! Marty's someone to keep an eye on going forward and Juice is improving.

- Scurll open challenge:
This would be perfect to set up an elimination chamber match where Marty has five challengers.

Hahahahaha that was lame. They need someone who sets up matches with Nigel gone. Put Delirious out there as Hunter Johnston. If they can keep kayfabe with Steve Corino and Mr. Wrestling III, they can do it with Delirious. Heck, make him the other announcer, too.

- Lethal/J. Briscoe stuff:
These two are going to be trying to win the ROH Title in 2022 at this rate.

- Lethal vs. J. Briscoe:
I guess they're just going to have a LOT of guest commentators.

Fine start.

I'm liking this.

Jesus, a finishing move already??

Briscoe's a pretty talented guy.

I like what Briscoe brings to the table.

This is picking up nicely.

I would have popped for backslide out of nowhere winning it.

NICE sequence setting up the figure four.

I'm liking the story of neither man being able to hit the decisive finisher.

Nice ending. I'm pleasantly surprised they didn't do the "hit three finishers and pin him" approach.

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment