Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

NXT Thoughts- 2/1/11

It's a new month and a new episode of NXT. Four hopefuls seek to become the next WWE superstar. Here are my thoughts on the show:

It looks like the stage is set up backwards this week. They do this sometimes when the arena isn't how they'd like it. Or something.

Hey, this does test arm strength and that can be important. Yes, I'm making excuses for this to be relevant. Though it kind of fits.

I don't know how much of this show is a shoot, but maybe Brodus' headbutt was done so he won't be immune next week and will go home. Just a thought.

Another kind of amusing Derrick Bateman segment, though Bryan's acting skills weren't all that great at the end.

I like that they're focusing more on wrestling this week (or so it seems).

I guess Maryse and the commentators get to amuse themselves since there's no hardly any focus on this show compared to Raw and Smackdown. Oh wait, I guess it was to eventually distract DiBiase. Got ya. DiBiase showed some nice fire here, trying to get a better reaction for this match.

Did... I really just hear a "turd" chant? PG rating critics, you have the floor.

At least everyone gets to wrestle this week. That's important when we're at elimination week next week.

They didn't show a replay of Alberto Del Rio's segment!? That was pretty important too.

That song for the Raw Rebound was awful. It actually took hype AWAY from Lawler's win.

That WrestleMania DVD looks very interesting.

Here are my thoughts and tiers for this episode:

Top Tier:
Derrick Bateman (Previously: 1) - Bateman continued to be, well, Bateman. I didn't really like the "turd" stuff but he was, as usual, an entertaining personality who showed skill in the ring. I think this competition really comes down to him and Johnny Curtis at this point.

Johnny Curtis (Previously: 2) - Curtis is growing on me. He could use a bit more in the personality department, but definitely shows promise in the ring. I think the gap between him and Bateman isn't all that grand, and we could see a change in the rankings next week.

Middle Tier:
Byron Saxton (Previously: 3) - As I've mentioned before, when the competition goes further on and more people get eliminated, it takes more effort to stand out from the crowd. Saxton's by no means a bad wrestler, just not the person I'd pick to win the competition at this point. I think he could very well have a future in WWE, but I'd hold off on it a little longer than I would Bateman or Curtis.

Bottom Tier:
Brodus Clay (Previously: 4) - Yep, it finally happened. There finally came a week where I soured enough on Clay to drop him down to bottom tier. Clay has a glaring weakness in his lack of agility. Yes, he's a big guy. I'm not expecting 450 Splashes or anything like that. I just don't see him connecting with the fans well enough unless he has something else to stand out. If he wasn't going up against the more fluid Bateman and Curtis, this wouldn't be as noticeable, but since he is, I definitely see him as the weak link of this group of 4, and my current pick to see elimination next week.

That's all for this column. On Thursday I'll give my thoughts on Superstars, and the big edition of TNA Impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment