Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Superstars and Impact thoughts- 2/24/11

Read on for my thoughts on this week's Superstars and Impact. Tonight Ric Flair faces AJ Styles, and TNA has a "shocking surprise" for the end of the show.

The team that's won two WWE Tag Team Titles this week faces off against a seemingly random combination of two faces. I don't really have a problem with the latter part. At least the division's getting some focus, and everyone involved's getting TV time. Not to mention that The Corre needed a solid win under their (title) belts after their showing on Raw.


Why do I have a feeling that nothing new will actually be revealed about 2 21 11 tonight?

I think the Masterlock might look a little too dominant here. But, I like this feud. Reks gives it his all, but keeps getting caught by Masters. Classic wrestling booking.

I'm not a big fan of Big Show, but I definitely think he's earned a big DVD release. He's done a lot in his career, and played his role very well.

Santino vs. Tyson Kidd is certainly something different.

It's going to be a while before I can watch Kidd and Hart Smith and not think of how WWE dropped the ball with the Hart Dynasty split. WWE has a ways to go to build those two back up to that level. This match didn't help in that purpose.

Interesting that they just now have the commentators talk about the 2 21 11 videos but had them ignore them for weeks previous. Maybe they weren't shown to the live crowd or on the monitors? I wouldn't have had them comment on them at all, because part of the gimmick was that they didn't look like they were part of the show. But, I'm just a blogger with an opinion.

They really like to recap things on this show, don't they? At least it's a big deal they're showing the whole segment of.

Triple H, The Undertaker, and WWE's production crew all get big praise from me on how this standoff was done. Despite my questions about the booking, they made that staredown a highlight-reel worthy moment. And no one said a word. Masterful.

While I'm thinking of it, would anyone reading this like me to split up my thoughts of Superstars and Impact? The main reason that I keep them together is because my thoughts on Superstars are usually fairly brief. I'm currently thinking of having Raw and Tough Enough separate despite them being on the same night because I'll likely have more to say on Tough Enough than Superstars.

Someone in the crowd's clearly enamored with Maryse. Whoever's in charge of choosing which camera to shoot to is a fan as well.

I guess Ted DiBiase's going to be losing to Yoshi Tatsu in the future as well. Pretty good straight-up wrestling match between Bryan and DiBiase. Hopefully DiBiase gets a reversal of fortunes in the future.

On to Impact. The "network" should be informed that RVD vs. Hardy didn't deliver ratings.

Mr. Anderson's promos are unintentionally funny sometimes as he tries to sound like a rebel badass.

Whoa, Gunner and Murphy look like actual wrestlers this week instead of security guards. They needed a boost in credibility anyway.

They're really out of things to do with Eric Young. It must be in his contract that he has to be inserted needlessly into segments. Ditto with the TNA cameramen.

If they didn't have their names on their tights, I wouldn't be able to tell you which one was Gunner and which one was Murphy.

We almost had a Team Canada reference on commentary and I think that might have been America's Most Wanted's finisher that G&M won with.

Hell of an exchange between Devon and Ray. Ray knows how to be a heel. None of this "cool heel", "I'm an asshole" crap that gets the fans to cheer you.

I would have assumed the Magnus was face now, given that he was last seen palling around with Doug Williams.

Nice match between these two, however short.

I wish the segment between Terry and Steiner was that short. Not a good promo exchange to say the least. If Terry sounds like that in promos, they need to change his character from the aggressive guy he is now, unless they make it clear that he's more soft-spoken.

Odd but effective segment between Velvet and Winter.

The "Father" wasn't a very good actor I think. At least they're getting home how important next week's episode is.

Flair's promo was better than his last few. Why did Fortune and Matt Morgan take so long to try to help AJ? For that matter, why didn't AJ try to take out Hernandez before going after Flair? After 2-3 attacks, you'd think he'd realize that he needed to take care of him first.

Madison's improved in her promos, but her voice still grates my ears.

I kind of pictured this going similarly to Jarrett's MMA challenge. Starting off with relative nobodies before eventually going up to Mickie James or someone. But having big competition moves things along pretty well to make her a strong champion.

Yeah, more "Jersey Shore" upcoming. I'll have more details in my upcoming news post.

Good work in the main event. RVD and Angle are solid workers, and Anderson didn't bring the match down. Where do they go next with RVD if he's not facing Hardy?

Hilarious ending to the show. Let the speculation commence!

That's all for my thoughts tonight. I'll be back for Smackdown tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment