Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

NXT Thoughts- 2/8/11

It's elimination night here on NXT. There's a change in format for my thoughts tonight. I'll be reviewing the segments, matches, AND rookies from here on out. Read on for my thoughts on the laggiest show in sports-entertainment!

Sometimes the referee's decision is final, and sometimes they use replays it seems. This challenge is kind of goofy, but it could be argued that it does test the important trait of balance. Two wins for Byron Saxton in the finals there.

500,000 online views? They've done more than a million before, and of course more than that watched on TV.

Dolph Ziggler with a Zack Ryder T-shirt's kind of funny. Anyone who Tweets Zack a picture of them with his shirt will be mailed an autograph from the Long Island Loudmouth.

"Turd" chants aside, I mostly liked this match. Nunzio made a cameo as this match's referee. I wonder if we'll have any reference to him in the future. I'm glad that everyone gets to wrestle on this elimination week.

"The Price is Right" meets NXT. AND AJ IS BACK!! Hopefully that means a return at some point. Oh, it's not just her. Naomi looks really different with short hair. No Aksana or Maxine though interestingly. Maybe it is some kind of hint to them being back.

Great jab about Saxton being over. Saxton should have gotten double points for being on the money that one time.

At least now we know how to spell what Brodus Clay's been yelling.

Hopefully we don't have to decide who Clay will team with.

At least Ziggler and Masters are having fun with the show... where's Ted DiBiase?

I'm really not sold on Brodus Clay after this match. Johnny Curtis on the other hand is moving up the ladder with me.

We've actually had a tie in immunity in Season 3. Clay shot himself in the foot bashing the hometown team. Sadly that didn't make him the one that went home. I like Saxton alright, and hope we see him down the line. Some more training certainly won't hurt.

Ziggler was good in the final segment.

Here are my new rankings for the Season 4 Rookies:

Top Tier:
1. Derrick Bateman (Last Time: 1)- This was a pretty close call, the closest of the season I think. Bateman has been mostly entertaining in a goofy way, with some pretty good wrestling skills to back it up. But that seems to have regressed a bit the last few weeks, as I'm not a fan of the "turd" stuff. He's still in good shape, though. I think this one will go down to the wire.

2. Johnny Curtis (Last Time: 2)- Curtis has been a solid worker during his time on NXT. I've said that he needs to improve with his personality and I think that he's either done that some or I've just gotten used to it enough that it comes off better. It's a shame that he and Bateman can't go on to be a tag team, because I think they'd play off of each other well. Bateman's more energetic but I think Curtis comes off more as a wrestler who can stick around once the comedy shtick starts to wear off. It's pretty close between these two, and we've only got a few weeks left.

Middle Tier:
3. Byron Saxton (Last Time: 3)- This is the first elimination I disagree with. Saxton's got a natural charisma about him. If he improves some in the ring, I think he'd be worth giving a shot to down the line. I hope tonight's not his last hurrah in WWE.

Bottom Tier:
4. Brodus Clay (Last Time: 4)- I think I'm liking Clay less and less each week. About the only thing I see going for him is his size. He's not a bad promo, but he doesn't stand out enough in either area for me to recommend him for a main roster spot. I think he needs to start over with something new and give it another go down the line.

Those are my thoughts for this week's NXT. I'll be back Thursday for Superstars and Impact, featuring Mr. Anderson vs. Matt Morgan for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship.

No comments:

Post a Comment