Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Smackdown Reax - 7/20/12

Read on for my segment-by-segment thoughts on the 7/20 Smackdown.

I liked the opening segment. It got Rey into things, kept Sheamus and Del Rio important after their PPV bout, and started treating Ziggler seriously as a main eventer.

Pretty solid 8-man tag. We could be looking at the future of the business in some of these guys.

BS segment with Show. Show was already a dominant monster with heat. Him destroying talents who are still finding their way was WCW-esque. It did nothing to elevate anything other than Show's amount of TV time. BAD.

I'm worried about Sandow. A feud with Ryder could have been really good for elevating him beyond a wrestler who has brief matches. I'm all for pushing new talent, but they're making it look like he's not ready for matches of regular length.

The Peep Show was fine to build to the wedding. I'd have liked a longer engagement angle and a special wedding episode, but they're putting all of their eggs in the Raw 1000 basket.

Interesting booking with Bryan vs. Kane. I'm glad the former World Champion and top contender to the WWE Title didn't get taken out by the monster. Kane was kept strong, too.

Interesting post-match. AJ/Bryan is a pretty one-of-a-kind angle.

I almost wish Slater's angle could continue past Raw 1000. It's been kind of fun seeing old names clobber him. At some point, though, I want to see if he can make it as more than a punchline.

Ricardo/Vickie was fine to build for the main event.

The main event was pretty awesome. Ziggler's shown that he can wrestle main event level matches. I think by this time next year, he'll be worthy of being Champion.

I liked the post-match to continue Ziggler's chase for the gold. It might be tricky, but good things can come from building Ziggler right.

I'll be back covering Raw on Tuesday. A news post is up next.

No comments:

Post a Comment