Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

WWE appearances, Memphis merch book, ex-WWF star arrested, Cena rumorkiller, JR update, Rey's return, Hornswoggle vs. Chimel, NXT releases, Interviews with Goldust/Jericho/Bryan, Smackdown audience, Impact no longer on the road?, TNA champ's contract expires, TNA to go big in the Big Apple, Hogan does a good deed and Questions on Cole as an announcer, Vince/JR, Stephanie selling stock and 50 years of WWE

Layla and Alicia Fox will be on The Food Network's Cupcake Wars on 9/21 at 8 p.m. OF COURSE the U.S. has a network dedicated exclusively to food.

Lilian Garcia will sing the national anthem at the 9/21 Bills/Jets NFL game. Hopefully she doesn't pull a Christina Aguilera.

Here's a blurb for a book about the merchandise of Memphis Wrestling. Sounded really good until I got to the part about a Jerry Lawler joke book. Are they trying to bring back book-burning?

Duke "The Dumpster" Droese was indicted for selling morphine to undercover cops. If the judge has any sense of humor, he'll have Droese picking up trash on the side of the road or something.

Everything else from yesterday is after the break.
John Cena shot down reports of him returning to WWE as a mouthpiece. It gets pretty tiring dealing with unfounded rumors.

Jim Ross gave an update on his life post-"retirement". Hopefully we still see him in interviews and such. It's always good to get his take on things.

Rey Mysterio is advertised for a WWE live event this weekend. I would have thought he'd be back by now. Or at least there'd be promos for him or something. I hope he helps along Los Matadores and Sin Cara to reach their full potential.

Here's a video of Hornswoggle successfully taking down Tony Chimel. So there's that...

Here's video of The Miz and Maryse at a celebrity poker tournament. I can just imagine what playing poker with The Miz would be like.

WWE has released the following talents from NXT:
-Jake Carter, who is the son of Vader, and had been with the company since 2011. I'd seen Carter once or twice alongside Corey Graves. Definitely not bad, but there are other people I prefer down there over him.

-Luther Ward, who had just been signed and put on the WWE website. He used to be OMEN in Ireland. Apparently, he hadn't even had a match yet for the company.

-Malik Omari, a Brit from Gambia, West Africa. He didn't get used much.

Dustin Rhodes talked about the Goldust gimmick and more. It's really funny to see him outside of the Goldust gimmick. Not that I expected him to go to the grocery store as Goldust or anything (but that would be really funny). I like that Goldust didn't just try to be Dusty Rhodes, Jr. and put his all into a character that could have been a complete disaster. It feels like a lot of stars today would sit around and complain that Creative "buried" them with a gimmick that was "doomed to fail" instead of doing everything they could to capitalize on their opportunity to get over. Goldust "gets" the difference between opening matches and main events.

Paul Heyman talked about the now-infamous WWE 2K14 symposium. Jesus, that was crazy. I bet WWE wishes they had someone reign in all of those people that day. I don't blame JR for how it went. I still pop for Heyman's pronunciation of BROCK LESNAR.

Chris Jericho dropped some knowledge about WWE's storyline problems. I think they can definitely get too carried away with insider terms. Using someone's shoot name is the worst.

Smackdown's audience jumped to 2.83 million on Friday, which is quite impressive.

Daniel Bryan has not one. Not two. But three interviews up yesterday. I love that Bryan (perhaps unintentionally) threw TNA under a bus. They have the potential to be a great wrestling organization, but they make decisions that have me (and many others) shaking my head.

TNA is considering moving Impact back to a consistent taping location, likely in early 2014. Orlando is a chief possibility. I was in favor of them going on the road more, but it's obvious that it's not working out like they wanted it to. I hope Hogan and Bischoff take the heat for something they were strongly pushing for (though, of course, Dixie had final say).

Mickie James' TNA contract has expired. For those of you wondering where this leaves her Knockouts Championship, ODB defeated her for it at the most recent Impact tapings. TNA is in a bad place right now. They're not in danger of closing up shop any time soon, but there's quite an exodus of talent and resources. I hope Mickie finds her way back in the TNA fold if she still wants to wrestle, because she's incredibly talented. Yes, TNA needs some new blood in the Knockouts division, but I don't know if it's worth losing Mickie to pay for some comparatively untested talent. She still seems to have gas in the tank.

TNA wants to run a major arena in the New York City area soon. Why do I feel like that isn't a sound financial decision?

Hulk Hogan and Kurt Angle were part of a recent Team 3D-sponsored breast cancer benefit. He deserves credit for that.

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. I've definitely heard worse commentators. I don't think he's all that terrible in the right role and with the right people. I don't even know if JR or Joey Styles could save us if they were alongside Lawler and JBL on Monday nights.

2. I really have no idea why Vince likes to stick it to JR so much. I'm under the impression that he actually likes JR, but has an odd way of showing it. I guess they figured that SOMEONE had to take the heat for the 2K14 symposium and he was an easy fall guy. I don't agree with their stance, but I think that's why they came to that conclusion.

3. I doubt she just did in on a whim. It's pretty curious at any rate.

4. If they hyped it right, I absolutely think that a JR retirement ceremony could do really well. They could have played into the way he's been treated in the past with the current COO angle.

5. People in wrestling will say just about anything to hype themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment