Total Pageviews

Friday, August 12, 2016

Impact Wrestling Reax - 8/11/16

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Impact Wrestling.

Good to start the show selling the importance of a match with THREE TITLES ON THE LINE!

- EC3/Lashley/Storm et al. segment:
I hope EC3 vs. Lashley lives up to being awesome. The main event players in TNA generally deliver at a pretty high level.

EC3's consistently been a good part of TNA. In some ways, he's been something of a saving grace these past few years amid all the departures and so on.

Lashley's definitely been built to be incredibly legitimate. Not that it's hard when you're that impressive and capable of dominating.

Lashley saying he evolved brought to mind the Dragon Ball series. EC3 going Super Saiyan to win would be awesome. Someone needs to make a DBZ/DBS style wrestling promotion.

I love me some chaos where a whole bunch of people do things at once. As long as it looks like a brawl instead of a stuntfest.

I actually laughed at EddiEC3, as silly of a name as it is. I'm all for them going all in with how much of a dork the Wolves are in promos.

- EddiEC3 vs. Bennett/Moose:
Three former ROH names and a former WWE name in action here.

EC3's a house of fire! I feel like Edwards is primarily a "cool moves" wrestler. It's worth noting that's pretty much the gimmick of the CWC, which I've generally found enjoyable.

That was fine for the time it got.

They're ALREADY teasing a Bennett/Moose feud? I guess the new name coming in is making them consider changing their original plans.

- James Storm video:
I really hope Storm gets back in a major role. They had a chance to run with him as top babyface, and it never really paid off.

- Aron Rex debuts:
That's one of the worst names I've ever heard for a wrestler, but I'm REALLY excited to see the former Sandow get another chance in a televised promotion. He gave and he gave and he gave in WWE, but never broke through.

Namedropping Cody Rhodes, Wade Barrett, and Ryback was pretty foolish if they're not going to be working TNA, and it doesn't look like any of them are.

Please don't turn this into a "bitter former WWE star totally shooting you guys" promo after Rex was such a class act in his post-WWE interview with Rolling Stone. He indicated then he might not continue wrestling for long.

I wish this was a "thank you so much for not forgetting about me" promo. That would have been more endearing from a babyface. I see why he's fired up to get another shot, though.

- Gail/Maria/Knockouts segment:
Blehhhhh. I've just seen too much of Gail to care about her going for yet another Knockouts Title at this point. I'm getting John Cena vibes from her booking at this point.

- Edwards/Bennett/Moose segment:
Two of the blandest people on the roster facing off next week? Yeah, not looking forward to that one. I assume the end goal is the Wolves returning as a team at BFG. That would make sense anyway.

- Gail vs. Marti:
At least Allie's pretty fun in all this.

I'm liking this well enough. I'm just not a fan of where it's all going. Sienna's barely in the picture when she's the Knockouts Champion!

Blehhhhhhhhh. SuperGail continues to overcome the odds.

- Knockouts post-match:
I really like Jade, but of course she'll be sacrificed to the altar of Gail, too. I get why they're doing this angle, but in the end it puts Gail over every. single. Knockout.

- Matt/Vanguard-1 promo:
Pretty funny stuff. I really hope The Decay don't actually go after Matt's family. That would be out of nowhere.

- Another James Storm video:
Storm can definitely be a compelling babyface. He's pretty genuine in his presentation rather than trying to portray something 180 degrees from who he actually is.

- Hardys/Tribunal promo:
Matt and Nero going for the tag team titles makes sense. I just hope Bram doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

I love Matt blaming Nero for the accident Matt made him do!

Good to see The Tribunal used again.

- Hardys vs. Tribunal:
This is one of the best things ever. We knew Matt was good at working the marks, but who knew he was an actual hypnotist?

The match itself was OK to continue the angle. I feel bad for the former Legionnaires; they're hardly at a better position than they were in for NXT. But they're getting more TV time and probably getting paid more, so it works out in that sense.

- Hardys post-match:
Nero just destroying The Tribunal. I guess they're destined to be jobbers forever.

Speaking of destined to do things forever, I see Nero utilizing ladders and tables in a wrestling ring until he's 90.

LOL WHAT THE FUCK. Nero must be hypnotized, too. This is wild.

OHHHH so Nero has finally snapped. Got it. This is glorious.

- Dixie/Corgan/Lashley backstage:
I like them addressing why Lashley didn't get any video packages.

- Decay promo:
I love how TNA can have amazing wrestling matches AND crazy Goth melodrama.

- Drew promo:
Drew's a very passionate guy who's worked really hard to put his name on the map. He's one of those guys whose WWE release only fired him up more.

I guess we're getting Drew/EC3 again even though EC3 already earned his spot at BFG. Drew should have to put something up, too. Otherwise, what's in it for EC3?

- Another Storm promo:
These have all been solid. I can really get behind Storm as a face.

- Lashley vs. Storm:
That was an awesome start. I love me a war.

I love it. They're just beating the hell out of each other.

I really love dominant Lashley just destroying people left and right.

Storm bringing everything he has to try to beat the (other) champ.

The Eye of the Storm is such a goofy move, but he's pretty much stuck with it at this point.

Nice spot with the turnbuckle pad coming off.

Everyone just bringing everything they've got for the titles.

They ended that at just the right time so it wasn't overkill with all the finishing moves.

Wow. Rex going right to the top of the card. So, Moose gets shafted out of the Lashley program already, I suppose.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment