Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 11, 2016

NXT and CWC Reax - 8/10/16

Read on for my thoughts on last night's NXT and CWC.

NXT:
- Roode and Regal backstage:
I like Roode going right to the top to get business done. None of this "notice me, Regal-san" shit. He just storms right into the office and gets what he wants.

- Contract signing:
Bayley sounds more confident in her delivery than she used to in live promos. This is mostly solid.

Asuka's English delivery was better, too. All-around a fine contract signing from a promo perspective.

Weird to see Bayley as the more serious one there, but I imagine some of that was to cover for Asuka not being a strong English speaker.

- Authors vs. Nails/Ryzin:
I hope we haven't seen the last of Hollis and Skyler as the designated NXT jobber team. I was getting attached to them.

Funny spot forcing Nails to make a tag to a reluctant Ryzin.

NICE double powerbomb spot. I'm really enjoying these two. Hopefully they don't pull a War Machine and start doing cartwheels to kill their aura.

Damn, TM61. I know there are dangerous monsters in Australia, but I don't think any are at the level of the Authors.

- Nakamura interview:
Shinsuke's pretty fun in his crazy role. I can see him getting under Joe's skin as a character.

- Almas vs. Dawkins:
I'm starting to turn on Almas. He definitely needs more of a gimmick than "Latino guy who flips."

The knees in the corner move still looks bad. He's clearly not hitting his opponent with his knees, which would seem to be the point.

OK finishing move. It definitely seemed like innovation for the sake of innovation. Dawkins looked alright in the loss. He's obviously got some personality and amateur skills.

- Roode promo on Almas:
Roode definitely outclasses Almas in charisma. Almas is 

Bobby casually burying Cien's abilities and Almas just accepting it.

Almas should have cut a promo back on him or slapped him or something. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to call Almas a cuck for letting Roode run all over his win and his segment.

- Aries and Regal backstage:
Regal might be my favorite GM figure ever. He just kind of casually rules things when people upset him. Pretty fun segment overall. I hope we hear from Jose later about how important this match is for him.

- Kay vs. Liv:
I like the contrast between these two's personalities. I suppose Liv is going to try to take over the Carmella role.

Both women are a little off here. They're definitely both athletic, though, and Billie in particular has some wrestling skill.

Liv has energy. I'll give her that.

Billie was alright. Liv's still rough. It's not really either lady's fault. They're just still varying shades of green.

- Regal/Ciampa/Gargano backstage:
That was a mostly good Ciampgano promo. They're playing off each other better. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see Ciampa eventually turn and destroy him, but we're not at that stage yet.

Ember Moon looks like a Mortal Kombat character. I'm all for that kind of look.

- Knight/Clark vs. Ciampgano:
It's something of a pet peeve of mine when established teams don't get team names. Ciampa and Gargano have been together for long enough to come up with something.

I'm liking the basic wrestling early.

Ciampgano are working on the same page pretty well. I like their combination of styles.

Good showing for the top contenders. Their title match should be pretty impressive.

I'm a little disappointed Itami's not at Takeover, but I see why they want to try to give Almas another chance at that level.

- Mojo promo:
My headcanon is that Mojo has an undiagnosed mental/personality disorder. He's definitely on his own planet at times.
   
- Joe vs. Rawley:
I like Mojo going right after Joe. This means a lot more than wins and losses.

Joe showing why you don't mess with a badass.

I like this not being a complete squash.

Joe doesn't have to be hype. He's got ring smarts and experience. Pretty good showcase overall.

BREAK THE DAMN HOLD GOOD GAWD ALMIGHTY.

- Joe/Nakamura confrontation:
Wrestling companies are notoriously cheap when it comes to security.

I'm getting behind Troll Nakamura.
 
CWC:
- Metalik promo:
"I'm a guy from Mexico who flips." Bleh. Not a very compelling package.

- Tajiri promo:
I miss Tajiri's mist. I almost wish he'd be back in NXT as Regal's assistant.

- Tajiri vs. Metalik:
Metalik's going to be stuck in the Cruiserweight division if he doesn't pick up English.

This is pretty basic so far. Obviously I'd be complaining if it was 100 mph of flips with no psychology, but I expected more energy given Metalik's last match.

Nice seated octopus.

I like Tajiri making use of submissions and making his kicks matter. It's a nice change of pace.

I'm definitely impressed with Metalik's agility.

I would have accepted the big elbow drop ending it.

That was a GREAT counter into a powerbomb pin.

And a REALLY good octopus spot.

That ended up being pretty solid. If Metalik can get a personality to stand out from the pack, he has a chance to make it in NXT. Or, they can just use him to immediately fit in the cruiserweight division.

- Cedric promo:
Unfortunately Cedric's time in ROH has made him an incredibly dull personality. He's an impressive athlete, but I don't think he'd be the star of the division or anything.

- Kota promo:
Not an especially exciting promo from Ibushi either. He's definitely amazing enough in the ring to make up for it for the most part, though.

- Kota vs. Cedric:
I like how these two play off each other. Cedric could easily be a workhorse for the cruiserweight division. He's a solid veteran.

Both men are quite impressive early.

I really hope Kota signs. I want to see some big kicks on Monday night.

And some crazy flips too! SIGN THEM BOTH!

Cedric can dish out some big shots, too.

That standing corkscrew moonsault was one of the craziest things I've ever seen. WOW.

Kota's flying is incredible. It's going to be tough if he's not signed given how impressive he's been.

Cedric's bringing it all in what's more or less a WWE tryout match.

Glad they finally wrapped that up. It was all good action from both men, though.

That was a really touching ending to the show. I hope Cedric does make it. Don't act like part of you wasn't expecting HHH to Pedigree him.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment