Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Smackdown Reax - 8/23/16

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Smackdown.

- Styles arrives:
Good to see Styles making the most of his win over Cena. Styles vs. Ziggler could be alright. It'd be a good way to determine the new No. 1 contender.

- New title ceremony:
I'm not really sold on the new titles, and I hate the names, but I'm sure they were much easier to make than a brand new design.

The Six pack challenge is a great way to determine a women's champion, although the winner can claim they've already beaten everyone in the division. Unless Tamina or Emma are waiting in the wings, it'll be tough to build a feud after that match.

Crowning new champions at Backlash is the right move to make that show important.

I really hope Heath takes the ball and runs with it as the new Santino. It's fine if he only makes it to IC Title level.

Heath and Hawkins would make a natural teaming. Maybe they have something else up their sleeves, though.

I loved this whole segment. Sure, it was primarily a bunch of talking, but it set up angles for tonight and the road to Backlash. That should be the point of authority figure segments.

- Becky vs. Alexa:
Nice start. Alexa's really stepped her game up to earn a main roster spot..

That was pretty good for the time it had. Both women used their strengths.

- Miz/Slater segment:
That was pretty funny overall. I'm really curious to see who teams with Heath.

- Ascension vs. Usos:
I like The Ascension having an advantage early like they might actually win a match for once.

Fine tag team action so far.

Not bad to set up the Usos' next step in the tournament.

- Styles/Ziggler segment:
I hope they run with AJ beating Cena. They don't get many chances to put someone over at this level.

I LOVE that AJ doesn't have to give up his title match, even if he loses. He earned that sucker. If Ziggler doesn't go into the title match, I wonder where he goes next. Wyatts?

- Nikki/Carmella segment:
Carmella's kind of oddly placed as a heel, especially since Nikki teamed with the heels at Summerslam. I'd much rather cheer her, although Nikki's clearly very talented in the ring.

I wish Carmella would have locked in the Code of Silence to work on Nikki's surgically repaired neck. That would have been the obvious heel move.

- Orton/Bray promo:
A little surprised Orton's back so soon, but they need the star power for Backlash if Cena's off doing American Grit.

I really hope we see Orton/Brock II.

Good stuff from Bray. I can see the comparisons to Broken Matt.

- Shane backstage:
Brock vs. Shane would be a car crash, but a fun car crash. So I guess like bumper cars?

- Heath/Arn/Rhyno segment:
Wow. Heath ran through his options pretty quickly if he's at the retired Arn. Was Shockmaster not available?

Interesting combination of a team. It could be fun, though. Slater doing a lot of the bumping so Rhyno can do a few big moves works well for them.

- Breezango/A. Alpha promos:
I love these little promos. The New Era has definitely been better about that kind of thing.

- Breezango vs. A. Alpha:
Fandango's always a solid hand and a smart wrestler.

The former NXT Tag Team Champions are just incredible as a duo. They're unbelievably fluid.

AMAZING skin the cat spot by Gable. That was really cool.

The teamwork of the former amateurs is off the charts.

Solid, solid match. American Alpha are a lot of fun to watch.

- Ambrose promo:
Dean's "I don't really care about anything but being wacky" attitude isn't my cup of tea.

- Ziggler vs. Styles:
Both men have solid technical credentials.

I like when Ziggler makes use of his amateur background with holds and the like.

It's like they're really evenly matched!

AJ making use of submissions steps his game up from just being a high-flyer.

LOTS of back and forth and counters. I like it.

That was a fine ending, I think.

- Ambrose/Styles segment:
Fine to sell the Backlash main event. Where does Ziggler go next?

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment