Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Raw Reax - 8/15/16

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Raw.

I liked the recap of last week's high points.

- Rollins promo:
Seth has been one of the best parts of pro wrestling for the past few years. I like the Demon King moniker, and I hope it's sold as a serious transformation instead of just "little Irish guy in face paint."

- Rusev/Lana/Foley/Stephanie/Roman:
I'm glad Rusev and Lana are really upset at having their wedding ruined. At least Stephanie and Foley didn't FedEx them any release papers that day.

I love Rusev's heeling of Foley. This would have been a way back in the day.

DAMN. Rusev burying Mick and going straight to the top of the chain of command. I can admire that. This does bring up the question of why we need a commissioner AND a GM.

Rusev asking for sympy because Stephanie also married a great superstar is great.

I like the idea of Rusev getting upset and jumping to Smackdown. That could shake things up (but it's too early to do something that big).

Roman's dialogue is often cringeworthy.

I'm not really crazy about doing the same match they're trying to get us to buy on Sunday tonight, but maybe they have something up their sleeves.

- Sheamus interview:
I liked Sheamus putting himself over. I do think Zayn has been pushed aside after winning at Battleground.

- Sheamus vs. Zayn:
I'm liking the action so far. It's good to see fired up Sami.

Nice match so far. These two play off each other well.

This is quite solid. Sami's better when he's in a match where his acrobatics are a style to try to beat a bigger, more powerful opponent.

That was fun for what it was.

- Y2J/Owens interview:
I definitely see shades of Attitude Era Jericho in Owens. This is a fun pairing.

Funny game of messing up Tom's name.

- Sheamus/Cesaro segment:
This came across like WWE doesn't really have any plans for either man, so they just threw the two of them together because they have good matches together and it can fill time on a three-hour show. Hopefully the winner gets a title match. Otherwise, there's just the "spirit of competition" ZZZZZZZ.

- Club promo:
This material is bad. I really hope Karl and Luke have something better than this going for them after Summerslam.

- Dudleys vs. Kofi/Xavier:
Straight into Jobberville. I think Spike Dudley might actually be more credible than these two now.

- Club/New Day promo:
I totally see Vince and KD yukking it up talking about this segment.

OK save from New Day, but I wish this was about something less silly.

- Rollins/Neville segment:
I liked Neville selling how good Balor is, since the two of them did face off not too awful long ago.

- Levy promo:
Tongue-in-cheek topical references are generally better than the forced ones we hear. That was good.

- Jax vs. Levy:
Nia ain't the lady to mess with.

- Brock/Heyman/Slater segment:
Based Heath Slater.

Slater wanting to be a Heyman Guy is awesome.

Heath's gutsy. I'll give him that much.

Slater having a great babyface moment here.

Brock BURYING Slater's fifteen kids.

Poor Heath.

I like Heyman's selling of Orton's character.

Heyman's always money on the mic. Presumably they don't write a bunch of goofy stuff like Sasquatch Babies, tater tots, etc. for him.

- Enzo/Cass promo:
That was fine for the time it had. Hopefully we get more at Summerslam.

- Cass vs. Owens:
I like the teamwork and strategy from the heels.

Fun work so far from the NXT alums.

That was just enough of a teaser for what should be a great match at Summerslam.

NICE post-match beatdown.

- Roman/Rusev backstage:
I like Roman not cutting long promos. I also love some crazy backstage fights. That was pretty fun overall.

- PTP vs. S. Stars:
Am I crazy or were Darren and Titus feuding last week? This needed a promo to set up why they're working on the same page this week.

I'm liking the tag team action so far. PTP make a solid team because they add to each other's abilities in the ring.

That was fun before the ending. I wonder if they did this just to give the Stars some time in the ring and a win.

- Jinder vs. Neville:
Neville auditioning for the cruiserweight division here.

I like Jinder working some offense so the match isn't just Neville's cool moves.

Neville's definitely really impressive. I just don't see much to him beyond his athletic ability.

- Foley/Stephanie/Rollins segment:
I'm curious to see how Stewart gets involved this time.

I'd pop if Balor has been hanging out in Mick Foley's boiler room.

- Rollins in the ring:
I like Rollins telling media outlets to pay attention to him.

I really hope Balor's demon transformation is sold as intimidating like Taker's entrances.

Rollins is a really solid promo guy.

Seth calling an audible with the fan trying to run in was GENIUS. It's a shame people try to do that, but Seth played it like a champ.

OOOHHH SHIT. Be careful what you ask for, Seth!

That was fun to sell what should be an absolutely outstanding match.

- G. Truth vs. Club:
I almost want to see a Dudleys/Golden Truth feud because one side would have to pick up some wins. The tag match at Summerslam is more important than protecting those two teams, though.

That was fine to continue the build to Summerslam.

OK post-match. I'm interested to see how the tag team title match goes.

- Charlotte/Dana segment:
It's a shame Dana's not doing much. She was a natural fit as Charlotte's second.

I really hope Dana bounces back.

- Alicia vs. Charlotte:
The last time Alicia Fox won a singles match on Raw, Naomi had one arm tied behind her back. So, yeah. No surprises here.

I wouldn't mind a Dana/Charlotte feud at all. Once Sasha moves on to facing Nia, that would make sense.

- Roman vs. Rusev:
I like this starting off as a big fight instead of a technical match.

I love a smashmouth brawl.

This is going well.

Rusev is much more fun in this role than as generic foreign heel. It's good to see him show more personality.

Both men are going pretty hard here.

Really fun war going on.

I love the story being told of a man fighting back against so much punishment.

Very impressive overall. I assume Rusev will still retain Sunday.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment