Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 17, 2018

JR show during Mania weekend, new episode of Photo Shoot coming, Interviews with McIntyre/WWE execs/Henry+Braun, WWE signs MMA competitor, Titus and Cena charity, WWE teases big Rey match, Impact audience, and Questions on NJPW music rights, an all-woman Wrestlemania, Black on 205 Live, Eli Drake in WWE, and Henry's in-ring future

Jim Ross will do his one man show during Wrestlemania weekend. That should be pretty cool.

"WWE Photo Shoot" with Kurt Angle will debut after Raw.

Drew McIntyre set a goal to be WWE Champion. I REALLY hope that happens.

Stephanie McMahon and Michelle Wilson put over WWE's business strategy:
- They're definitely making more from the Network than they were in the PPV era. Significantly so.

- Old school wrestling at carnivals was something else. And, yes, there were days when it was a gritty fight-like atmosphere instead of a big spectacle. I miss some aspects of that.

- I'm very glad we've moved on from the misogynistic attacks. That'd be embarrassing to watch in 2018.

- There's definitely a vocal minority of fans collecting online that wants things to be like the Attitude Era. Ironically quite a few of them weren't around for it.

- HOLY SHIT. Did Meltzer really say more fans care about flashy moves than storylines? Ratings have dropped as they've focused more on that mentality. I'm willing to believe that's true of his audience, but not the potential wrestling audience at large. Just... wow.

- WWE's relative standing is still strong. TV just isn't what it used to be.

- I think we're still a way off from Raw and Smackdown moving somewhere like Facebook. I'd be surprised if they made that move unless there's a LOT of money involved.

- HAHAHA I loved the remark about wrestling on Mars. Book it!

- I didn't assume Asuka and Nakamura winning was a shot at NJPW. Asuka came in undefeated and Nakamura hasn't been in the WWE Title picture in a while. I do think WWE is deliberately appealing to that niche market with AJ vs. Nakamura, but thankfully it's just one of several main events that night.

WWE has signed Nicolai Salchow, who has a pretty solid MMA record. I'm looking forward to seeing more from him.

Titus O'Neil got more than 2,000 local kids to see "Black Panther" for free. That's badass.

Mark Henry and Braun Strowman talked on "Busted Open" radio. I hope Braun can be a Hall of Famer. WWE will need to be careful in how they book him in the years to come. I wouldn't mind him ending up in comedy roles like Kane down-the-line, but certainly not yet.

John Cena reunited with a Make-A-Wish recipient. Always good to see Cena doing something like that.

WWE teased AJ Styles vs. Rey Mysterio. That could definitely be big.

Impact drew 300,000 viewers Thursday night, basically where they were the previous week. The real test will be the absence of EC3 and Lashley.

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
Nothing to really add to 1. Hopefully they have a better idea of when they can and can't use a song going forward.

2. I don't think that'd be a good move anytime soon for the same reason they shouldn't do an all cruiserweight Wrestlemania or an all tag team Wrestlemania. It would be way too risky to leave out so many talented and over performers. I don't even think I'd do an all-women (or all cruiserweight or all tag team) Raw or Smackdown. If they were to do a big all-women special event with significant build, I could probably get behind it, but no way would I do that for something like Wrestlemania.

3. I hope that doesn't happen! He could do so much more.

4. I'm under the impression he's still got a decent amount of time on his current deal, so we're a few months from this even being an option. I would be very surprised if WWE considered him more important than Impact would. WWE has a really stacked lineup right now; I don't think he'd be a difference-maker worth pursuing.

5. For all intents and purposes, he's done as a wrestler outside of a potential cameo in something like the Andre battle royal. He's moved on to a behind-the-scenes role. If he does get inducted into the Hall of Fame this year, that pretty much settles how WWE sees him as an active competitor.

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment