Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Another wrestler returns, Russo looks at WCW 2000, former Tag Team Champion to leave WWE, Interviews with Aces and Eights/Beefcake/Lawler/Striker, more from Devon, more WWE meets AMC, former boxing champ to wrestle?, Smackdown audience, and Questions on AJ Styles, Matt Morgan, TNA fat cats, and making a wrestling promotion

Hunico, who hadn't had a match in WWE for 2 1/2 months, returned to WWE live events recently to lose to The Great Khali. He's only had 8 matches in 2013. I've enjoyed what I've seen from him and wish there was a better way to make use of him.

Vince Russo will give his take on the year 2000 for WCW. I can't WAIT to see that. That could be explosive.

Ted DiBiase, Jr. has announced that he will not renew his contract with WWE. If he feels happier doing something other than wrestling, that's his call. I'm glad he put his time in the company over. There were times where he showed some real potential, but there are only so many spots on the roster and now his spot will go to people who want to stick around. Note: As of this writing, DiBiase is still a part of WWE. His current contract just hasn't expired yet.

Update: DiBiase, Sr. commented on his son's WWE tenure. I think there are a number of things they could have done with DiBiase, Jr., but would there be enough commitment from all parties involved and the fans to propel him higher than he got previously?

Everything else from yesterday is after the break.

Knux and Wes Brisco talked at Wrestling Legends Night. I'm glad that Devon passed on a lot of knowledge to the Aces and Eights members. He's a great veteran in that regard. As for TNA releases, they've got to make cuts somewhere. I don't know if I would have cut the same people as they did, but some times you have to make tough cuts.

Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake gave an interview as well. Nothing too earth-shattering.

Jerry "The King" Lawler talked about his museum opening and more. He's something of a museum piece himself.

Devon had some more comments about leaving TNA. I'd be pretty surprised if WWE picked him up as a wrestler without Bully Ray coming, too. I think he wanted to jump ship the last time his contract came up, but obviously it didn't happen. I wouldn't completely rule out the Dudleys appearing in WWE, but I think by and large that era is over now.

C.M. Punk and Kofi Kingston were at the house used for "Breaking Bad". I'm almost 100% sure that Vince has no idea what that is.

46-year-old boxer Riddick Bowe wants to become a pro wrestler, and Tommy Dreamer is offering to train him. Let's see here: Semi-retired. In his 40s. No previous wrestling experience. He's like the TNA dream signing! Move over Styles and Anderson!

Matt Striker talked to Justin Credible. Both guys really said something thoughtful and I'm glad they're passing knowledge on.

Last week's Smackdown was up to 2.57 million, presumably due to the hot Summerslam PPV. Corporate Evolution or whatever the heck it is has some real potential if they use them concept right.

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. They usually have newly-signed talent work out in the "WWE way" before putting them on the main roster, and I'd be surprised if he skipped that step if he signed. Some of the audience would know who he is, but I'm betting that a lot of them wouldn't. As for whether we'll see Styles in WWE, I wouldn't rule it out but it's also not a sure thing. It's weird that we're even thinking of that since he's pretty much THE TNA guy.

2. The Matt Morgan they had years ago and the Matt Morgan that just left TNA are very different competitors skill-wise. They have a pretty full roster right now, so I don't know if they consider him worth going after, but who knows? It's a shame that neither company has him right now, because he's definitely better than some names in either company.

3. I'd also really have to question how much those three are worth. No one should be exempt from review. Even if there weren't financial issues, I could see Hogan trying to get a better deal with WWE and Sting leaving TNA once his current deal is up. So, yeah, I can see one or more of them leaving or taking a pay cut in the months ahead.

Nothing to add to 4.

5. I think I'd rather give the money to people who could dedicate a lot more time to running it and have more experience. I don't intend to drop out of school to run a wrestling promotion! But it would be cool to have a role in shaping wrestling. At any rate, a lot of those things should be determined by the fans. If I try to force a top face or top heel on them, it might now work out as I intended. That kind of thing.

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment