Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Main Event Rex - 8/21/13, possible sites for future Manias, Interview with Luger/Rey/Heyman, TNA's latest publicity scheme, Rey/Cena updates, pre-WWE Bray, new WWE campaign, Regal has feels, live event press, and Questions on headlining Mania, Taker vs. Orton, "Total Divas", WWE's "meaningless" Titles, and the greatest night in the history of our sport

Main Event:
Pretty good opening match. Keeping The Shield's momentum going after the DQ at Summerslam.

I got flashbacks to AJ and Naomi coming up through the ranks on NXT Season 3. Ahh, memories. Both performers have improved since then. I think they can get a lot out of AJ in the years to come.

Colter never fails to crack me up. This is definitely the most interesting Khali scenario I can think of since Cesaro's U.S. Title defense.

Ugh. Khali. He's got to be one of the worst wrestlers I've ever seen. He's lucky to have some really good opponents cover for him - it feels like he's practically immobile. I've seen better matches from KEVIN NASH.

I think they're starting to get just about everything they can from the Fandango gimmick. At least against Miz and not doing anything but dancing.

Cool win for Bray. I hope he and the Family go far. I might even have him go over Kane again, honestly. Do not kill an act with this much potential! I like Kane a lot, but WWE needs to build some new stars.

Everything else from yesterday is after the break.

Santa Clara (San Francisco) and Philadelphia are in the running for WrestleMania 31. I wonder how many towns are vying for the next Bound For Glory? I also wonder which part-timers will be around for that match.

Update: Detroit is considered the frontrunner for WrestleMania 32. Or maybe someone's dyslexic, since they held WM23 there.

Update: Detroit would receive help from Windsor, Ontario, right across the Canadian border. That'd be pretty cool. International Mania!

Lex Luger talked about Randy Savage, the Lex Express and more. I can only imagine how the Internet would have reacted to the Lex Express. "vince is going to put luger in a bus and have him slam yokozuna on a boat. lolWWE." "they're burying luger. he was so based as the narcissist. why change it?"

TNA is doing some kind of angle between Bobby Roode and Howard Stern's Eric the Actor, who is in a wheelchair. The plan is to have them meet over Bound For Glory weekend. They shouldn't have Eric cost Roode the win for the BFG Series, and then have Eric go over in a match at the PPV. That would be great for Howard's business and terrible for TNA's.. I really don't see that adding a ton of buys to the PPV.

Rey Mysterio is expected to return in September. I suppose he could feud with Del Rio for the World Title? I think there's still some money to be made from the former WWE and World Champion. I just wonder how much more's left in the tank. Here's a timeline:
2006-2007: knee surgery keeps Rey out for about 9 months.
2008:  biceps surgery keeps Rey out for over 5 months.
2009:  Wellness violation #1. Rey's out for 30 days.
2011-2012: another injury and Wellness violation #2 keep Rey out for almost a full year.
2013: Rey has been out for 6 months following another major injury.

So, yeah, I wouldn't get too attached to Rey as a full-time guy.  20+ years and 1700+ matches takes its toll.

Update: Arda Ocal talked to Rey. MY LEFT KNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. I hope he comes back strong. There's always that saying about only being as good as your last run. I have great memories of Eddie vs. Rey.

Bray Wyatt's pre-wrestling days were profiled. Imagine if he did that gimmick as a student?

Here's a photo of John Cena after surgery. I kind of hope Cena stays out of the news for a while so it's fresh when he returns.

Update: TMZ covered Cena's surgery.

Triple H and Stephanie McMahon will be doing work for "The Protein Fight Club", which will put over how great milk supposedly is (or maybe their characters become the focal point like on WWE TV).

William Regal shared his thoughts on Daniel Bryan winning the WWE Title. I miss Regal on WWE TV. I'd definitely rather have him as GM than Vickie. Yes, he's done the role a lot, but it'd be somewhat fresh to bring back. Though I suppose they should put as little spotlight on the non-wrestlers as possible? It would be somewhat inevitable for him to get back in the ring, and they shouldn't focus on that too much. I thoroughly enjoy him in his roles.

Here's a brief story on an upcoming WWE show. I really need to see me some live WWE again soon.

Sam Roberts talked to Paul Heyman. Funny stuff. NOT PG. I liked the metaphor about Ali, Jordan, et al.. I think that a number of part-time guys fit that metaphor. Interesting thoughts about WWE Creative. The non-PG stuff at the end was hilarious.

There was some coverage from Summerslam AXXESS' celebrity match. My goal in life is to have my own entrance music and TitanTron. When I was in middle school, I had a HUGE crush on Maria Menounos. Now that I'm in college... I still have a pretty big crush on her.

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. Sometimes other feuds are hotter or for whatever reason WWE wants to go in a different direction. Maybe WWE doesn't feel that an act can follow a certain match.

2. That would be awesome! I wouldn't want Taker to take the WWE Title (or win the Rumble to challenge for it), but if you take that out of the equation, I think it could be great. I hope Orton stays at 2 Wellness strikes and that can happen.

3. I'm not familiar with the demographics of the audience, but it probably helps. I'm under the impression that not a lot of men watch E!.

4. >WWE's titles. >Having no meaning.
Why the hell would anyone try to win them if they have no meaning? AJ vs. Kaitlyn? A battle royal to challenge Ambrose for the U.S. Title? People killing themselves in a ladder match to go for the World Title? Axel winning the Title his dad won? Any of that ring a bell?

5. If Drew Carey and Koko B. Ware can make it in, I don't see why not.

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment