Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Raw Reax - 8/19/13

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Raw.

That was a REALLY good opening segment. It sucks in some ways that Cena has to take time off (though God knows his character could use a break), but he's worked extremely hard for WWE and helped elevate Bryan on Sunday. I'm really liking the potential in this Bryan angle. I know it revolves around the McMahons, but it makes a lot of sense and plays into some very real feelings. At the end, presumably Bryan proves that he IS top guy material in the McMahons' eyes.


Sandow vs. Rhodes was very good! I was all set to complain about them giving away a rematch on TV (what if they showed "Dark Knight Rises" on TV the night after "The Dark Knight" hit theaters?), but I was impressed with their match. Rhodes beating Sandow again is interesting. Maybe they have a good reason.

Looks like Maddox is "in" on the screwjob as well. Makes sense.

Kind of a weird Heyman segment, but it fit his character and was of course well-delivered.

If that Funkadactyls/Bellas segment didn't tell you that reality shows are about as real as anything else WWE does, I don't know what will.

That was a surprising result. I'm interested in this Divas' feud.

As far as 3-on-1 matches go, that was pretty solid. Glad Ziggler didn't overcome the odds, even though I like him and think he could be used better.

Post-match made sense. Believe In The Shield.

I really hope that was just something to move the story along and Sin Cara isn't hurt - it feels like something from Del Rio vs. Ziggler.

Wow. Didn't see that alliance coming. RVD vs. Del Rio makes sense, as does Ricardo turning on him. We'll see what Ricardo brings to the RVD act and vice versa.

Oh shi-. They're playing with fire with Colter subtly heeling Young for coming out. It makes sense for his character and will get a lot of heat, though. The rest was fun.

>Come out IRL. >Character turns face with no explanation. Is it safe to assume that most of the WWE audience knows about Young coming out and is ready to cheer him? Not that I mind the turn (assuming this is a turn). Anyway, good match and I hope both teams have bright futures.

Another good Maddox segment. Screwing them faces, bro.

I should start slipping in blatant plugs like WWE does. I'm sure WELOVEFINE.COM: FOR FANS, BY FANS wouldn't mind.

Ryback feels like some kind of cheesy movie bully. He'll take some lunch money and pick on NERDS next. I get this feeling that they don't know what to do with him now that the Cena feud's over.

BAH GAWD ALMIGHTY THEY JUST POWERBOMBED THE BIG SHOW STRAIGHT TO HELL. Made sense.

Pretty fun segment with Heyman, Punk, and Axel. The guy in the crowd was an interesting addition to the proceedings. I see Punk eating Axel alive at any rate.

That brawl was pretty good. I loved Heyman's line about breaking Punk's leg.

It made sense for Wyatt to destroy Truth. He's got to get a promo about beating Kane, right?

A matador gimmick? Don't know if want. How much can you really get out of this? That said, I'm willing to give it a chance if the performers involved are talented. Also, I wonder how the former El Generico feels about the "Ole"s.

Fine little tag match. It's good for some of the younger stars to get ring time like that.

Miz vs. Barrett was ok to continue the feud with Fandango. The action was fine as well. I guess the die-hards get Bryan in the top feud and the little Jimmys get that.

I loved that ending segment. This really presents Bryan with an opportunity to get mega-over. Beating The Shield, Orton, and HHH? I'm down. Hopefully we end up with Bryan going over HHH for the WWE Title at Mania.

More wrestling coming up.

2 comments:

  1. Chuck, I'm interested to hear your thoughts on Damien Sandow's current position:

    I'm a bit perplexed on the way Sandow's been booked. I was very satisfied when he won MITB and think he has all of the traits it takes to be a WH Champion. I'm just a bit perplexed as to how and why he continues to be booked in such a shabby manner. I honestly cannot remember his last victory; can you? It's reminiscent of Bryan's MITB reign in where he was booked very shabbily. I'm just failing to understand how the company has faith in him to beat all of those other guys for the briefcase, yet be booked in such an unfair manner.

    I understand growing pains are always going to be a factor (I.E. Daniel Bryan right now even after over three years in the company). I just think this is a bit of another level beyond growing pains in that he's been basically a platform for upper-card guys to get over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of time, my mind's so full of other non-wrestling stuff (school, work) that I don't remember things like that off the top of my head. With SSSSOOOO many matches in a week between WWE and TNA, they start to blur together. Cagematch.net lists his last TV win as 7/23 against Justin Gabriel. He's lost 5 TV/PPV matches since then.

    I have some theories (I don't necessarily agree with them. T'm just trying to see their side):
    1. They don't want the MITB win to go to his head. He's "paying his dues" or what have you. This is weird given his experience and training.

    2. They see more short-term or even long-term value in the people they have beat him.

    3. They want him to stay at about the same place on the card for now.

    That's really about all I can think of. I know that a number of people have taken WWE to task for the "50/50" or "even-steven" booking where people essentially stay in the same place for a long period of time.

    ReplyDelete