Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Raw Reax - 8/12/13

Read on for my take on last night's Raw.
It was unusual to begin the show "cold" with a match. Especially with a special referee. It was even more unusual that Bryan lost. But maybe WWE has something in mind that makes up for it.

Pretty funny that Sandow secured his briefcase.

Orton vs. Sandow was pretty good. Yes, Orton's already established and has two Wellness strikes and all that. They are doing something risky by pushing him. But I'm willing to be cautiously optimistic for now. Sandow keeps growing on me as a wrestler.

The Shield segment was pretty good. There's no lack of confidence from them. I wish TNA got behind someone newer/younger like WWE does here.

Can't wait to see what they're doing for Punk vs. Heyman thing.

How cool was that Langston promo? I see potential in him (but it's still very early in his career. He doesn't need to look like a future WWE/World Champion yet. "Potential" just means I can see him being of more worth than he is now).

I liked the match that was basically AJ vs. Natalya. I just find it a little weird that Natalya made AJ tap (maybe she'll be the next #1 Contender?).

Why the heck are they pushing Khali over Langston? I think Khali needs to be FIVED to make up for this. Khali's a novelty act; Big E's a hot young prospect.

On one level, having HHH involved raises the profile of Cena vs. Bryan and a Bryan/HHH feud would be pretty awesome (especially if it elevates Bryan). I just kind of wish the focus was on Bryan and not the McMahons.

I can't complain that Kane made quick work of Titus, since it makes Bray look better if he gets the win on Sunday. If Kane had beaten both members of PTP at the same time, I might object. I don't think this was any kind of slight to PTP. If anything, they were chosen because WWE knew they could get the job done.

My body's ready for Bray vs. Kane. I love that they haven't "given too much away" with a bunch of matches between Kane and the Wyatts.

I don't really care to see Brie vs. Natalya at Summerslam personally. That's not a knock on either competitor; it's just not that exciting of a feud. It feels like "Catfight" #379.

Kofi vs. Del Rio was pretty good. Del Rio still doesn't look all that strong (much less the World Champion going into the 2nd biggest PPV of the year), but the match itself was fine. It's a shame that Kofi came back without any hoopla to promote him as a special act.

The Del Rio/Christian segment was pretty good. I really wonder where they're going with the World Title from here. It doesn't seem like they have any big plans.

I know I say it every time, but Zeb Colter is hysterical and one of the best promos on the roster.

The Usos vs. Cesaro and Swagger was really good. Both teams looked really hungry for success. If Cesaro and Swagger were faces, I'd consider them as an option to take the Titles from The Shield (down the line).

MizTV was REALLY, REALLY good. Well, Cena and Bryan were. They really sold that match. HHH and Orton seem kind of added-on. I understand why they're involved and it makes sense. I'm just kind of old-school and like the focus to be on two people fighting for the Title.

That was an interesting segment with Truth and Fandango. Presumably, they were just giving us something silly and less heated after the big Cena/Bryan clash.

Two thoughts on that battle royal: 1. I am EXTREMELY glad that Big Show didn't come back and win. 2. I want to see RVD vs. Henry. 3. Ambrose vs. RVD should be REALLY good.

My "Big Show is back" face:

I was a LITTLE underwhelmed with the ending segment, but I think they'll knock it out of the park at Summerslam with Punk vs. Lesnar. Heyman's promo was amazing at any rate.

More wrestling coming up.

2 comments:

  1. Chuck, by the time you get this, you probably will already have heard the news about Darren Young. I was absolutely shocked to hear the news, because his personality in and out of the ring have given little indication about his "status." Some reports are mentioning this could be a publicity stunt (which is a possibility), but all signs point to it being true.

    I respect his decision of putting it out in the open and opening his status to the world. It's a lot of attention he will bring and has brought upon himself, but at least he's being open and honest with himself and everyone else. It's just much of a shock to hear with his personality in and out of the ring being so different than this report, but I respect him for doing it. What is your take on the situation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the reasons I wait until a full day of news has accumulated is stories like this where a lot develops in a short amount of time - the event happening and reactions to it, etc.. I don't want to jump to conclusions. I'll give it its due coverage tomorrow once more is known.

    ReplyDelete