Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Smackdown Reax - 8/9/13

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Smackdown.
Orton vs. RVD was pretty sweet. Both performers are worthy of higher-card status. I'm glad that RVD is back, though I suspect that it's only somewhat temporarily.

I hope no one's bitching that AJ and Kaitlyn are in a mixed tag at Summerslam. Their story's still going on, and they're still on TV pretty regularly. Anyway, that was another pretty good segment with the parties involved. I really like the AJ character in particular - she twists everything around to make herself look good.

I don't like the idea of Del Rio vs. Christian for free before they want us to pay for it, but maybe they have something clever in mind tonight (and/or will add a third player to the match at Summerslam).

Fandango vs. Kofi was pretty cool. I can't wait to see Summer Rae in action based on her work in NXT.

Nice Bryan segment.

Bryan vs. Barrett was pretty good for the time it got. I'd love for them to get a longer match.

Fine post-match.

I liked the Sandow promo, but you probably knew that I would.

Kane beating 3MB made sense to make him a big threat for Bray at Summerslam. If Bray beats him, it means more that Kane dispatched 3MB. I like 3MB, but I think that Bray vs. Kane is more important at this stage.

Wyatt's promos are at a whole another level, unlike anything I think I've ever heard. I'm really enjoying his gimmick, and I hope that he won't be fed to Kane. I don't think they're that short-sighted, but you never know.

Brock's promo was off the charts. I'm really looking forward to Summerslam. This doesn't feel like just another wrestling match or feud. It feels like a clash you can't miss.

Jesus. Del Rio vs. Christian was a good match, but Del Rio's looking like something of a chump lately. It puts forth the notion that Christian can become World Champ (or that Sandow can cash in), but it doesn't really do much for the prestige of Del Rio or of the Title. Contrast how credible he looks with how credible Cena looks.

And more putting down of Del Rio. I think he's going to need to do something big to look World Title-worthy by Summerslam.

I liked the ending of the show since it elevated Rhodes and Sandow in the World Title picture. I still wish they'd get behind Del Rio more.

More wrestling coming up.

2 comments:

  1. I was also very upset at Del Rio getting upended yet again. This marks the second straight loss to Christian and continues to make him look devalued going into one of the biggest events of the year. I just don't understand WWE's justification here in making their champion look so inferior since winning the title. I understand that the World Title holds less stature than the WWE Title, but it doesn't change the fact that Del Rio is a World Champion.

    I agree with what you mentioned in that it matters less about wins/losses and more about how Del Rio is depicted after the loss, but even after losing, he's continuing to look inferior. One would be drawn with the notion that after turning heel again and winning the World Title that the WWE is fully behind Del Rio, but that is looking like the complete opposite of the truth now. It's upsetting, because he's been doing very well and isn't quite as stale as he was when he was a heel previously.

    One more issue I have with the way Del Rio has been depicted is that it seems like one of the classic "he who gets the last laugh leading up to the match at the pay-per-view will lose at the actual pay-per-view" stance that is so commonplace. Even if Del Rio wins at Summerslam and retains, I think his repeated losses to other superstars may continue to devalue him and his progress in that many may think he can win the title matches, but continuously lose the non-title matches. I just think he deserves better not only in match results, but also in promo opportunities away from just SmackDown. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it just comes down to Del Rio looking like a "beatable" Champion, vulnerable to Christian or Sandow dethroning him at Summerslam. But he definitely looks like a second-tier Champion. Dethroning Cena will be a big deal. Beating Del Rio is something of a foregone conclusion. I'm a big Del Rio fan and think WWE could make him a really big deal. They keep wondering where the new stars are, but they have such "stop-start" pushes that it's hard to break through. You're right that a win at Summerslam won't completely make up for how they've booked him lately.

    As for the "last laugh before the PPV" thing, I think it's how WWE keeps things even. TNA does it, too. It gives some hope that the babyface will win at the big show or adds some extra heat to the heel. But obviously once you've seen it enough, it becomes more obvious who will actually win.

    ReplyDelete