Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 13, 2016

3/12/16 Superstars and WWE Roadblock Reax

Read on for my thoughts on yesterday's WWE Superstars and Roadblock Network special.

I didn't think to do a preview/fantasy booking column for some reason. Roadblock deserved one. I would have had HHH win via sledgehammer or something to remind everyone why he's a sadistic heel who's still got enough tricks up his sleeve to pose a threat to Roman. 

Also, I like the idea of New Day celebrating a shady win backstage only to run into Enzo and Cass, who naturally refer to their victory as SAWFT. New Day would then cause a distraction in the NXT   match for The Revival to retain. New Day vs. Enzo/Cass after WM32 could be a BLAST.

As for WM32 itself, a Fatal 4 Way between New Day, the Usos, the Dudleys, and two members of LoN works for me. And what if it's a TLC elimination match? First fall is chairs are legal, second fall is a tables match, and the final two teams compete for the titles in a ladder match. Just an idea. I would prefer the Dragons in that match and LoN vs. the Wyatts, but WWE's clearly building to Kalisto vs. Ryback. Oh, well.

As for how things actually went:

Superstars:
- Miz vs. Ryder:
Fine psychology early. I like the pure wrestling here.

Both men are quite talented. 

Miz is really underrated. He's become quite the solid worker.

Really good story going on of two men trying to get the win.

Nice ending. Good work by both of them.

- Usos vs. Ascension:
The Usos do their best work against more powerful teams, I think.

Both sides are doing well so far.

Viktor seems to be emerging as the more well-rounded worker of the duo. He sets things up for Konnor to knock them down.

This is pretty solid.

Nice ending!

Roadblock:
I like the scaled-back approach to production for these events. I know WWE likes everything to be a big spectacle, but I don't think it's needed.

OMG THEY ACTUALLY MADE A BOOTY-O'S BOX.

Baby Big E is the best. 

- Kofi/Big E vs. Sheamus/Barrett:
I kind of want to see New Day and a partner vs. all four LoN lads at WM32.

I like the fun-loving New Day vs. the serious and powerful LoN.

I hope Big E ends up a future WWE Champion. He's not there yet, but I think he could be before it's all said and done. 

Good work here overall from both teams, and all four individuals.

Nice match to start the show.

Fired-up Heyman promo. A little bit on the pandering side, though.

Jericho can still be a good heel. He's going hard on Canada here.

I like the contrast of Jericho being a sure thing instead of a "flavor of the month."

- Y2J vs. Swagger:
What does it say about Swagger that fans are chanting for Styles in this match? 

This is a fine match, but it doesn't really have any heat. Obviously this is just a backdrop to Jericho vs. AJ. 

Jericho grabbing the referee's pants to get leverage ahead of getting the ropes was AWESOME. Such a jerkass heel move. 

- Enzo/Cass vs. The Revival:
Is this the biggest stage these two teams have been on? Obviously they had big Takeover shows, but this is the main roster. 

I like this becoming a fight early. That's what the champs should want.

As much as I love the challengers here, I think they need to lose this one and head to the main roster. 

Good double-team maneuvers by both sides.

Dash and Dawson are continuing their path to being a well-oiled machine and a cohesive unit.

POUNCE! POUNCE! POUNCE!

Big Cass has some good fire. I like it.

Nice use of Carmella.

Great, great match and ending. I can't wait to see the next title match in Dallas.

I like Charlotte saying she's above Natalya now. Charlotte's not an NXT rookie trying to earn her way to the main roster anymore.

- Charlotte vs. Natalya:
Good submission work early.

I like Charlotte as the arrogant 2nd-generation Flair.

Charlotte methodically working on the legs is smart. Natalya's not giving up, though.

Charlotte taking advantage of the opportunity to hit Natural Selection was great.

Charlotte grabbing her dad's hands to break the hold was clever.

Nice ending for the heel to retain.

- Bray/Harper vs. Brock:
At least Bray thinks he can beat Brock Lesnar.

I would have loved to have seen a Wyatt gauntlet match against Brock at WM32. What can I day? I love a hoss fight.

Harper selling that first suplex was great. Lesnar's basically a demigod.

At least Harper's getting some offense in.

Luke's a talented guy, but no one's beating the Beast Incarnate.

RoadBROCK. 

I love Lesnar just showing up, wrecking shit, and leaving. 

- Zayn vs. Stardust:
Fun tit-for-tat early. Stardust has turned out to be a pretty enjoyable match.

I kind of wish Zayn had a more colorful, over the top persona like Stardust does. He's a great wrestler, but doesn't have a larger-than-life personality.

I like Stardust going right back for the superplex. That's a big move to hit.

Good ending. Both men are pretty game.

- HHH vs. Ambrose:
Like it or not, Triple H is still performing at a high level. He's still a believable top antagonist, and I have no issues with him being WWE Champion going into Wrestlemania.

Doing Ambrose vs. Reigns and HHH vs. Lesnar at WM32 isn't a good move. I hope they don't "shake things up" just to appease the vocal minority.

I like the difference in styles between these two. This could have been a fun WM32 main event. Roman needs to get the job done and win the title, though, after so many setbacks.

Triple H is an all-time great. He's methodical in working over his opponents.

If WWE thought fans would stop chanting for C.M. Punk if they appeased them by putting Ambrose in a WWE Title match, the underestimated the mentality of the self-entitled "smarks."

Ambrose targeting HHH's leg is shades of Triple H's own offense in his prime.

There's some good thinking/psychology at play here.

I love HHH picking Dean apart.

I also love HHH countering a suicide dive with a right hand. It's called high-risk for a reason.

Nice counter-wrestling!!

Great story being told. 

Love the false finish. Ambrose looks like a champ even without walking out with the gold. 

Good table spot. Ambrose having to break the countout cost him.

Triple H capitalizing with the Pedigree was great. This was one hell of a match. Great work by both men, and WWE made the right call.

More wrestling coming up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment