Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Fantasy Booking - What if WWE buys TNA?

Read on for my thoughts on this hypothetical scenario. Note there is no talk of this happening currently.

There are a number of routes WWE could take. If WWE inherits all of TNA's assets including TV contracts, I'm under the impression they might have to continue making Impact Wrestling until those contracts expire (unless they buy out the remainder of the contracts). So, in that case, I think they'd turn the show into something like the ECW brand, where it's not a big priority and WWE makes it like Main Event or Superstars, but with TNA talents and some WWE/NXT talents they're not using.

That could be pretty interesting in its own right. WWE could use Impact for some people who aren't quite ready for Raw or Smackdown, or people WWE doesn't know what to do with yet. They could also find more use for people like Sandow, Ryder, Swagger, and Fandango by having them become superstars of "the Impact brand."

It's also possible WWE's contracts with NBC Universal would prevent them from making "WWE Impact" or what have you on Pop, since that channel's owned by another company. If that's the case, they could continue "WWE Impact" on the Network to fill out the remainder of its international deals. I'd imagine WWE could just move tapings to Full Sail (on different weeks from when NXT is taping). I'm not so sure they'd invest a lot of money in another touring brand, when they can just tape a bunch of stuff for the sole purpose of continuing TV/PPV ontracts.

I think a likely route would be either buying out or finding substitutes for TNA's TV contracts so they don't have to spend money making new stuff. Instead, they could just absorb whichever contracts they want to add to WWE and NXT. I think that might be the optimal route. I don't know if there's as much appeal for "WWE vs. TNA" or "NXT vs. TNA" as seeing some top TNA names mix it up with WWE/NXT names. I could be way off on that, but I don't see any reason to do a kayfabe "war" with a company they'd own and eventually beat. They could easily just add some great talents to the current roster to strengthen it. A WWE brand split, and the further growth of NXT, is a greater future investment than keeping the TNA brand alive. TNA does well in the UK and India, but its viewership numbers here aren't strong.

So, my idea would be to figure out how each talent fits into the WWE and NXT pictures, and to move forward with those brands into 2017 and beyond. I'd rather book "former TNA Champion James Storm adding to the company" than "TNA invader James Storm here to put WWE out of business!"

With all that in mind, here are my ideas of using each talent:

Abyss - I'd love to see the Joseph Park character in some capacity. A "split personality" gimmick like Corporate/Demon Kane could be fun in either NXT or the main roster. There's got to be a use for him. 

Aiden O'Shea - Aiden has shown potential. I'd like to see him get some fine-tuning in NXT ahead of becoming more valuable as a talent. Getting more guidance, and regular work on live events, should give him a chance to be a player on the main roster at some point.

Andrew Everett - We've barely seen Everett in TNA, so I don't have much to go on. I'd suggest him getting a tryout at the WWEPC to see where he's at before making a decision. I don't think WWE would be obligated to use him if TNA went under. He'd have to show why he's worth it.

Angelina Love - WWE might as well try a run for The Beautiful People on the main roster. I think them trying to "take over" the Divas division is worth a shot. I'd think WWE would make the gimmick and their looks more on the PG side, but it's still interesting. After that runs its course, there could still be use for Angelina facing new opponents.

Bobby Roode - Beer Money is way too fun and way too talented to not get a run in WWE. After they do their thing as a duo, Roode can be a solid competitor on his own, either as a face or a heel. Feuding with Storm and Eric Young in WWE is a given in his time there. They all work well together.

Bram - There is NO way WWE should bring Bram back after his previous legal problems. I like him as a talent, but he's a real liability. They've already released him once, and his ex (?) wife Charlotte works for the company now. I just don't think it would be a good move.

Chris Melendez - Melendez is still pretty inexperienced. I'd give him a shot at the Performance Center, but he wouldn't be a top priority.

Crazzy Steve - I'd start Steve in NXT to see how he'd fit in with WWE. I like him, but there's only so much room on the main roster. 

Crimson - Another guy I'd try out in NXT. Why rush him to the main roster when he can get more teaching and experience? I'd rather see him reach that stage when he's got more under his belt.

Davey Richards - I'm not 100% sure Davey would want to come to WWE. He's got regular work as a volunteer fireman, and he's continuing his education. Plus, his style would undoubtedly be toned down compared to what he does now, and I don't know if he'd be OK with that. He'd be great for NXT, and possibly beyond that, but I think he might pass on the opportunity.

DJ Z - He's worth a shot in NXT, but it's not like there's a shortage of flippy guys out there competing for that same spot. He wouldn't be a huge priority.

Drew Galloway - Drew's an incredibly hard worker with a real passion for the business. There's got to be a way WWE could repackage him from the guy who was stuck on Superstars and Main Event. The WWE roster is pretty packed, but hopefully they could find a use for a refocused Galloway/McIntyre.

Eddie Edwards - Edwards is a really solid wrestler. Unfortunately for him, WWE wants entertainers. Unless he could show he has something in him beyond his impressive in-ring abilities, he could easily be stuck in NXT and/or doing jobs. 

Eli Drake - Considering it wasn't all that long ago Drake was in WWE developmental, it'd be a real tough sell to bring him back. I'd give him a chance at a tryout, but he'd have to blow people away there to get another chance in NXT.

Eric Young - Young's a great talent. There's got to be a good use for him, either alongside another talent in a team or working with younger stars. He could be a good addition to the main roster or NXT.

Ethan Carter III - EC3 could be a pretty important player. He's shown a lot of talent in TNA. A great talker and great worker, I'd definitely give him a chance to succeed post-TNA.

Gail Kim - I assume Gail would retire or go somewhere else rather than return to WWE. I'd love to see her as a trainer or agent, or even as a regular or semi-regular wrestler. She'd be valuable in any role in either the main roster or NXT, but I don't see it happening.

Grado/Odarg the Great - There's potential for Grado to fill the Santino kind of role of comedy wrestler in either NXT or on the main roster. He'd be worth giving a chance to.

Jade - I definitely think Jade could be a good addition to NXT's women's division, and hopefully she'd move up from there. Without Taryn around, I don't think I'd use The Dollhouse as a unit. 

James Storm - See Bobby Roode. After Beer Money gets a run, he'd be great doing something like his role in The Revolution. A feud with the Wyatt Family could be fun. There's definitely potential with him.

Jeff Hardy - If Jeff can stay on a positive track in life, he could absolutely be an important player again for WWE. He's pretty much a no-brainer to use on the main roster.

Jessie Godderz - I've seen some good things from Jessie. I think he'd be worth giving a shot to in NXT. With the right training and teaching, I think he could be someone to watch in the years to come.

Lashley - As much as I'd love to use Lashley in WWE, I don't know if his deal with Bellator would allow that. I also don't know if WWE would be willing to use him part-time so he could keep working MMA, nor do I know if they'd promote his endeavors for Bellator. If WWE could work something out, though, he'd be ready to be a powerhouse on the main roster. 

Madison Rayne - See Angelina Love. Madison could also have a future after the Beautiful People act runs its course. 

Mahabali Shera - I think WWE would want to use him given their reach into India, so he'd probably get a shot in the Performance Center.

Mandrews - Mandrews could be worth a tryout for the Performance Center, but he wouldn't be a big priority given how many other names are on this list and how many other wrestlers want a path into WWE. 

*Manik - As a bonus. The recently released TJ Perkins should at least get a shot at NXT. With his years of experience at a young age, he's an ideal candidate to be tested for the performance center.

Maria - I'm not really sure Maria would want to return to WWE full-time. Even if she was, I'd be hesitant to endorse her returning considering how many other female performers are out there trying to join WWE for the first time. 

Marti Bell - Marti would be worth a tryout for NXT, but I haven't been blown away enough by her work to really push for her being signed. There are probably more worthy talents out there. 

Matt Hardy - I think he'd be a great heel for NXT or the main roster, and there's always the temptation to do a Hardys reunion, but I think Matt's happy working his own schedule. It'd be worth offering him a deal like Rhyno has in NXT if that's the case. He's definitely still someone who can benefit the company as a worker.

Micah - It wasn't all that long ago WWE had him on the roster as Camacho. I don't really think he'd change any minds about using him again. He's better off getting work elsewhere (maybe in another country) before trying his hand in WWE again.

Mike Bennett - I'm not all that sold on The Miracle. He'd be worth giving a shot in NXT, but I don't think he's suited for anything bigger than that. 

Mike Tenay - They could absolutely make use of him as a voice for the product somewhere, even if it's just on the Network. 

Mr. Anderson - I don't think WWE "needs" a Mr. Kennedy return unless they want him to work with (job to) the newer names they're pushing for the future. That might be worth exploring, but he wouldn't be a huge priority in the hypothetical talent grab.

Raquel - She could get a tryout in the Performance Center, but I would think WWE has already seen what she can do. If they wanted to sign her, they had opportunities after Tough Enough. She'd be pretty low on the list given her inexperience.

Rebel - Rebel's another name I wouldn't rush to sign. She's 37 and has very little experience. She'd have a real uphill battle making it in WWE. 

Robbie E - Robbie could be a good addition to NXT. Pairing him with the Hype Bros pretty much writes itself. It'd be worth a shot.

Rockstar Spud - Spud would also be worth a shot in NXT. He's shown a good deal of personality and talent, and has an ability to connect with the crowd.

Rosemary - Considering we haven't seen her wrestle in TNA yet, she'd have to go through the whole tryout process like any other aspiring Diva. There's no shortage of female talents trying to make their way to NXT, and spots are limited.

Shane Helms - He'd be a great agent or trainer. I wouldn't mind him having a semi-regular spot in NXT on top of that, working with the next generation of people around his size. 

Tigre Uno - Uno would have to show he's more than a flippy guy. WWE does need more Latin talents, but he'd have to prove himself in NXT first. 

Trevor Lee - Trevor's definitely worth giving a look to for NXT. I've liked what we've seen from him so far. He's different from your standard X-Division talent, which I really appreciate.

Tyrus - Unless WWE really feels like they need another Funkasaurus run, I think they got pretty much all they could out of Brodus last time. I'd like to see him as a big monster like the Wyatt brethren, but I don't know if he'd be worth giving a second chance to so soon only to potentially end up right back where he was at the end of his last run.

Velvet Sky - See Angelina Love. Velvet splitting off to be the new Duchess of Dudleyville is worth pursuing after the Beautiful People angle.

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment