Total Pageviews

Monday, December 26, 2011

Query on Homicide-WWE, lien placed on John Cena's house, Swagger Q&A, Questions on WWE getting behind Daniel Bryan, Roode or Bryan dropping the title first, WWE losing viewers, and the WWE Network

Sunday's news started off with a query. It's one I've gotten before, but I think enough time has passed that I can re-examine it:
1. I don't recall ever seeing anything concrete about Homicide going to WWE, though he was said to be open to it in the past. I'm not sure what his contract status is as regards to the UWF, so it might not even be in the realm of possibility at the moment. If I see anything new about one side being interested in working with the other, I'll be sure to report it. I think he could do good things in the company.

A Florida roofing company has obtained a lien against John Cena's house in Florida after allegations that he didn't pay over $15,000. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here until more comes out about the story.

Jack Swagger answered some fans' questions (in-character?). Not bad. I always thought he was underrated as a character. This did sound kind of rehearsed, though.

After the break, I look at PWInsider.com's Christmas Day questions. First up, will WWE get behind Daniel Bryan as World Champion?

1. I'm cautiously optimistic. He's already lasted longer than Christian, so there's some hope there. They're a harder to impress than I am, apparently. As long as he's portrayed as credible (holds the title for longer than a fluke reign and goes out swinging), I'll be ok with it. I wouldn't have a problem with him losing inside the Elimination Chamber to set up something else for WrestleMania. Here's someone who's been with the company for less than 2 years and is just now picking up traction as a main eventer. It might be a little too soon for him to co-headline the biggest PPV of the year. He's a hard worker and is growing on me as a World Champion, but I'm not that sold on him yet.

2. First off, how amazing is it that Daniel Bryan and Bobby Roode are the World Champions? Definitely didn't see either of those things happening even 6 months ago. I think Roode could end up holding the title longer, depending on when they theoretically have him face off with Storm (this is just a guess). I think Bryan might be unseated for someone more seasoned as WrestleMania approaches.

3. I'd love to know, and WWE obviously would as well. This could be my wishful thinking talking, but hopefully if they treat their talented performers as talented performers that we need to see, in time they'll grow a new audience hungry for that kind of thing. It took a while for Cena, Orton, etc. to get over to the degree they have, and it's going to take time and investment in Punk, Bryan, Ryder, etc. for them to be the draws that they can be. The curious Attitude Era fans hypothetically tune in, then out when they don't get Triple H, Undertaker, or whatever other performer they want to see from days gone by. And even when we do get to see one of them, we're reminded that the product isn't what it was in 1998. They need to build new characters that people want to see instead of going back to the well of already established main eventers. That's just my theory, though.

4. Very good point. I don't really have an answer for you, unless there's a huge audience paying attention to the proceedings that doesn't watch Raw.

5. I get the impression that a lot of things in wrestling (and just about any other business) are like that: management has high hopes, but the workers aren't so sure. If it fails, it won't be from lack of advertising during WWE programming. Either way, it's a BIG priority for the company.

That's all for the Christmas Day news. More to come after midnight. Before then, I'll cover Raw. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment