Total Pageviews

Friday, December 16, 2011

Smackdown thoughts- 12/16/11 (with in-attendance notes)

TLC is this Sunday. Mark Henry, Big Show, Randy Orton, Wade Barrett, Cody Rhodes, Booker T, Zak ck Ryder, and Dolph Ziggler are all here as they prepare for the final PPV of the year. How will things stand before the big gimmick-filled event? Read on for my thoughts on the show as it happens, with my thoughts from attending in-person in parentheses.

That's totally not on the campus of NCSU.

(Cole came out with his Slammies before the show came on air and a hilariously smug look on his face. He's great as an annoying heel.)

Yeah, I don't want Booker to win and be a full-time wrestler. Rhodes becoming more legitimate by beating him would be great. But, maybe they feud for a while and Rhodes learns from working with someone with so much experience and ring savvy.

Pretty good Rhodes promo. These two play off of each other pretty well.

They can set Rhodes up pretty nicely if he looks good on Sunday.

(Bryan was surprisingly over to a fairly nice degree. I was impressed. That bodes well for him.)

These two can GO.

Poetry in motion with these two.

It's kind of hard to give comments on something I've already seen or know for a fact what's going to happen with them. I really try to avoid spoilers.

(Someone nearby was kind of confused with what Bryan was trying to do on the top rope.)

Great match. I hope both of these men are on TV a good deal in the future.

Looking forward to Rhodes being against Booker. Good story going with it.

(Bryan, selling being hurt while leaving, took time to wave back and acknowledge the cheers and chants for him. Great guy and it's good that fans are getting behind him.)

That song. Every time I hear it I remember that AJ had it. Way to screw with my head, WWE.

I don't really "get" Alicia Fox. Weird little dance and look. I get the Fox references and stuff, but it just seems kind of weird.

(Natalya was great with the tissues.)

I think it goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway: I'd have rather seen AJ or Kaitlyn here than Alicia.

Yikes. That was kind of sloppy by Alicia. The hair-pull thing was hilarious, though.

(Well, I guess what made it hilarious was Natalya's over-the-top temper tantrum afterward).

I get that they're setting Alicia up to face off with Beth, but it seems like she's actually regressed in the ring.

I hope we get back to the AJ/Kaitlyn story at some point. Surely they could have done that match on Raw since there isn't a Divas' Title match at the PPV?

So many recaps and videos in WWE these days. Ugh.

It's kind of weird that Swagger's taller than Mark Henry.

Possible face turn for Swagger? He's a real "blue chipper" in JR's terms. I liked his promo here.

(The Usos were nicely over. That dance is really working for them.)

I'd guess that WWE likes Epico and Primo, since this is their second match in 2 days of TV shows.

Good little tag match. Epico doesn't look like he's only been on the roster a few months at all.

Future tag team champs? Certainly looks like it.

(As much as I really hate to say it, Big Show was pretty over. Definitely one of the top reaction-getters on the show.)

Vickie's really good in her role.

Swagger's a talented guy, and I think/hope good things are coming for him in the future.

Show and Henry are playing off of each other pretty well here. Swagger's getting some good stuff in, too.

Big Show can move pretty well for someone his size and with so much wear to his body.

Part of me would have liked to see Swagger getting the tap out, but Show's going for the World Title on Sunday.

Good story of motivated challenger gunning for the title.

(I didn't see the chairshot to the cameraman the first go 'round, just the aftermath. Good stuff.)

That's what a heel does. Reprehensible things.

(Henry made a kid jump back like crazy when he told him to get off him. Hilarious stuff.)

Kind of surprised that Ryder, Ziggler, and Barrett are main eventing instead of Big Show and the World Title situation. I'm glad that they're getting the chance to headline the show and all, it's just not what I'd expect.

Kane's new look is pretty awesome. Looking forward to Raw, though it's kind off that they're not doing anything with either Kane or Cena at TLC.

That was kind of a weird backstage segment (That I couldn't hear anything of live).

While I hate his music still, Slater's pretty good at being an arrogant heel.

(Someone had a sign hitting on Slater, which he acknowledged on the way to the ring. Kind of weird.)

(Someone also had a DiBiase Posse sign with a lot of autographs, but I couldn't tell whose).

Good stuff from these guys. My "X-Pac heat" for Slater's kind of going away now.

DiBiase's got something going for him. I hope he's on his way to good things in the future.

(Someone nearby said that they wished Slater would win once, because he's always losing).

DiBiase should face Mahal on Sunday, since they're kind of short on matches.

(Sheamus got a HUGE reaction, which translated well on TV. They're doing good things with him now thankfully.)

That's got to be one of the craziest-sounding songs I've ever heard. Weird that they're not using the "new" WWE logo in the Legends' House logo.

I like that "clubs to the chest" spot. The fans really get into it, and that's his job.

(I got into a conversation about Sheamus' finisher being called the Brogue Kick, not the "Bro Kick". A brogue is a thick accent like Sheamus has. Makes a LOT more sense than Bro Kick.)

(Sheamus was really over, as he should be.)

Good little match. Why isn't Sheamus in a match at TLC? I think he should be on the way to the World Title.

(We didn't see the 1/2/12 video live, but there was a weird pause while Orton was in the ring before Ryder came out, so that's probably why!)

Props to Ryder for giving that kid the headband.

Ziggler and Ryder play off of each other REALLY well.

I like all of these guys. They're all either in their prime or on their way there.

(Ryder was pretty over, and Orton was REALLY over. Saw a good deal of merch for both in the crowd.)

Another case of me not saying much because I'm liking what I'm seeing so there's nothing to complain about.

(Some Woo Woo Woo, You Know Its in the crowd and "We Want Ryder" earlier in the night.)

They did a good job not making this match the Orton show. I'd like to see more chances for those who aren't already super-over.

Yeah, they've really got something with Ryder. They've got to give him the title on Sunday.

Good stuff from everyone in this one.

And a good finish to the show. Solid main event with a good set-up for Sunday.

That's all for Smackdown. I'll be back for TLC on Sunday, and a news post will be up later tonight. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment