Total Pageviews

Monday, December 19, 2011

Query on what 2012 will be like for Cena, FCW standout works another house show, Lawler talks art and wrestling, Questions on wrestlers changing looks, WrestleMania VIII, Layla, the Knockouts, and Tebowing, WWE-Chyna rumorkiller, JR talks TLC, Smackdown on Xbox 360, Cena on Fruity Pebbles boxes, TLC dark match, and champs pose with titles

First up for Sunday's news is a query:
1. This is actually a pretty good question. I definitely see Cena continuing to be a big presence in WWE next year, even after his WrestleMania match. He'll almost certainly hold the top title on Raw for part of the year, since that's kind of tradition now. I'd expect him to be in quite a few TV and PPV main events as well, especially as (theoretically) people like HHH, Nash, Taker, Booker, and Rock go back to being less of a focus on the shows. While I expect things to continue to diversify in the main event scene, it's not going to be entirely Cena-less for some time now.

For other news, Dean Ambrose once more faced off with Daniel Bryan on a WWE house show in New York. Still no word on the possibility/timeframe of him making it to the main roster.

Jerry Lawler talked about his art background and how it ties in to wrestling. Interesting little read. Amazing artist.

After the break, I go into my take on PWInsider.com's questions. First up, a look at WWE's policy on tattoos and looks in general.

1.  I think Ziggler is the go-to example. I THINK that it was actually WWE's idea for him to change his hair color (possibly in order for him to "be taken more seriously"), but I'm not 100% sure. Barrett had tattoos when he got started on NXT, so it wasn't a huge change when he got the newer ones. I can corroborate the story about the developmental talent getting cut, though it should be notes that it was a number of years ago. I can see why the company would want to control what a performer looks like, given all the action figures and video games and such that would be affected by a significant change. Generally performers only have a certain number of tights as well. There HAVE to be more examples of a disastrous character change, but for some reason I can't think of any at the moment.


2. I'd also heard something along the lines of the company spreading out its draws (similar to how Undertaker isn't generally in World Title matches) to have two main events, but their answer likely has more merit.

Nothing to add to 3, other than the fact that I believe she's had a number of appearances with the company lately. I'd like to see what she can do when she returns. It'll be interesting to see how the former mean girl character plays off Beth and Natalya.

4. I imagine that things will be less tilted towards the heels now with her gone. I guess technically Sting and/or Dixie Carter will be in control of the division, but I don't expect them to get directly involved much.

5. Well, planking made an appearance on NXT (by Vladimir Kozlov of all people), so I suppose with all the talk about Tebow lately it's possible it'll make an appearance. It could of course be an homage rather than theft.

Despite the fact that she's being advertised as such in some appearances, Chyna is NOT working with WWE and I don't see that changing at any point on the horizon.

JR blogged ahead of TLC.

Xbox 360 now has a SyFy app that can be used to watch clips of Smackdown. If that gets people consuming (and spending money on) the product, that's great. I think that's where the entertainment industry's headed.

In one of the greatest news stories ever, John Cena is featured on Fruity Pebbles boxes as part of a contest to win WWE tickets and Cena merchandise.

Drew McIntyre beat Alex Riley in the pre-TLC dark match. Both men have been doing great things lately on WWE Superstars, and I strongly recommend checking their matches out there. Hopefully this means both will be back on TV soon.

Zack Ryder, C.M. Punk, and Daniel Bryan all posed with their championships after TLC. I like what this means for the future of the business. All three have worked very hard to get where they're at.

That's all for Sunday's news. More to come tomorrow. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment