Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Superstars and Impact Wrestling thoughts- 12/22/11

This week on WWE Superstars, the tag team division continues to heat up. Air Boom will test their mettle against Curt Hawkins and Tyler Reks. Then, on Impact Wrestling, Sting will address the actions of the nefarious TNA Champion, Bobby Roode. Meanwhile, #1 Contender Jeff Hardy continues on his path to Genesis. The Knockouts Division is due for a re-examining after last week's firing of Karen Jarrett, and Tony Nese will look to get back into things against Zema Ion as both men have their sights on the X-Division Title. Also, the Wild Card tournament continues to see who will face off with Matt Morgan and Crimson for the tag team gold. It should be good. Read on for my thoughts on the shows as they happen.

I think they need to redo the WWE Superstars intro, since people like Triple H, The Undertaker, and Big Show don't appear on the show. It's kind of misleading.

Former Nexus/Corre partners face off!

Am I the only one who thinks that Gabriel looks more like a One Man Rock Band?

Gabriel's got a nice unique style in the ring. I think he's coming on quite nicely.

Slater's growing on me. I didn't used to see anything in him.

Did someone else make a "I hate you, Heath Slater!" reference? I love it.

Nice neckbreaker spot.

These two mesh fairly well. Nice contrast of styles.

Gabriel's really got something. I think he might prefer him in Evan Bourne's spot.

Good little match. That ending camera angle was fantastic.

Maybe Reks and Hawkins need a(n official) tag team name?

I love that bike. So ridiculous.

Zeke looks a lot different with hair (facial and on his head).

Nice stuff from Hunico. It's a shame it took so long for him to make it to the main roster.

Good match! I continue to want to see more of this kind of thing on TV and less of the '90s guys.

That bike's seriously one of new favorite things in wrestling.

Riley's good, too. Definitely ready for a midcard or tag team title.

NXT Season 2 rematch.

Kind of a weird backstory to this match from Stanford, but whatever. I'd rather they feud over their pasts on NXT, and who really deserved to win that show.

Not bad from either guy. With more seasoning and character, good things could be coming for Riley in particular.

I swear I saw a "Daniel O'Brien" sign in that video package.

Please tell me Raw was the start of the new generation being the focal points.

Good doubleteams from Air Boom. They go together pretty well.

Good little tag match here. Just straight-up wrestling with a minimum of BS. Nice moves from everyone.

That crossbody was pretty slick.

Very good stuff from both teams. More of this, less Michael Cole and John Laurinaitis.

On to Impact Wrestling.

We're starting things off with Bully Ray and Bobby Roode. I'm good with this show already.

Good stuff here. Keep these two together.

I'm good with this segment. Bully Ray's a heat magnet.

Sting's coming back to the ring? Can't say I'm surprised. Good set up for it. Hopefully it does good things for the up-and-comers.

Should be a pretty good main event, and the next match isn't too shabby either.

I don't think I'd mind a Styles/Kazarian tag team.

Hats off to whoever's getting the announcers to actually talk about the matches and things relevant to them.

Hahaha, Daniels. Great at his job right now.

Pretty good Russian leg sweep spot.

Hmm... I think I'd have rather RVD seen take the loss because of Daniels. The focal points should be the people who aren't already former multiple-time champions who have done just about everything there is to do in the business.

I liked the little interviews with Nese and Ion. Nothing that blew me away, but good nonetheless. Ion's got some personality.

No questioning who the heel is here.

Nese is more interesting and exciting than his look would suggest.

Good match! On paper, given how little we've seen of these two, I wasn't expecting very much.

Fine by me; it means we get another match between the two of them. Ion stands out more as a character, but I think Nese can grow on me in time.

Definitely not crazy about Madison being the new VP of the Knockouts division. Not sure what I wanted them to do without Karen, but it wasn't that.

I like that they're really promoting the main event tonight.

I also like Pope getting TV time and being a slimy snake.

They've got to be on their way to being a tag team in TNA, right?

Why do I get the sneaking suspicion that Shark Boy's going to be here?

I can't get into Eric Young/ODB for some reason. It's just not my cup of tea.

So, maybe she's not the VP after all?

Just saw a commercial with sumo wrestlers sitting on a couch to test some kind of furniture repairer. Night = made.

Is her voice naturally that screechy?

WHY? That was kind of painful. Are they breaking the team up or what?

This is so bad. Both ladies can wrestle, but the stipulation and referee really drag this down.

Is Madison Canadian or something? I think I missed the part of the plot where there was a reason for them to chant "USA".

I hope that was worth it.

If she does try to fire them, maybe she's overruled and they remove her from power.

Oh, by the way: props to Tara and Tessmacher for getting the TNT thing over. Clever.

Sting has mentioned wanting to work with Hardy in the past.

This is also pretty terrible. Eric Young must have some kind of dirt on someone to get this much TV time.

Someone at TNA's obviously a Tim Tebow fan. Kind of an odd promo in places.

Kurt Angle is great at looking ridiculous in cowboy hats. Not a bad segment.

Kind of hard to take Moore seriously with that look.

Good, intense promo from Bully Ray and Bobby Roode.

No Toxxin? Interesting. Speculation ahoy!

At least check, Spike wouldn't let TNA show man-on-woman violence so I don't think we'll see much of ODB here.

They started this tournament so well, too.

Hmm... didn't see that coming.

NO! That means there's more!!!

Maybe... MAYBE this means someone can get heat by beating Young and ODB. Either way, not looking forward to more from them.

Nice promo from Crimson and Morgan.

Not a bad segment with Angle, though kind of over-the-top and ridiculous.

Please put Roode over...

That is a pretty cool redemption story.

I think Roode should beat Sting here, setting up Hardy to try to get revenge for him at Genesis (since theoretically he's just a member of management and not a wrestler now).

I didn't see that coming from Sting either.

Yeah, people are going to take issue with all these shots to the head.

The whole point of this match should be to build up Roode as a credible main eventer. The other three are already there.

They're kind of doing that now. Sting, despite being one of the most decorated World Champions of all time, isn't running roughshod over the up-and-comer.

We've got a crazy mix here with all the different backgrounds of the performers involved.

I wonder if this will lead to a Fatal 4 Way or something?

And now we get Sting as the big star.

The guy who needed protection the most in this match got pinned. I like Sting and Hardy, but I don't think they should have gone over the guy they could be building up as a star and credible champion.

Not a bad episode of Impact Wrestling, I guess, but it did have some really bad spots.

That's all for Thursday's wrestling. I'll be back for Smackdown tomorrow. A news post will be up later. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment