Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Superstars and Impact Wrestling thoughts - 3/15/12

Today on WWE Superstars, Divas' Champion Beth Phoenix faces off with the ex-champion Kelly Kelly. Which blonde bombshell will reign supreme? Then, on Impact Wrestling, Mr. Anderson returns to the ring against Christopher Daniels before Sting and Bobby Roode sign a contract for their match at Victory Road. All this and more. Read on for my thoughts on the shows as they happen.
Ahh, a Justin Gabriel match. Just what I need after my involuntary hiatus.

A Gabriel vs. Hunico match. Even better.

I'd like to see Hunico feud with Rey Mysterio when Rey returns to elevate the newer guy. As solid as he was as Sin Cara, he's earned a shot at that. Personally, I think he should don the Rey mask like he did to feud with Sin Cara.

Good wrestling here in the technical sense. I continue to wonder why it took so long for Hunico to make it to the main roster.

Pretty stuff here.

"End of an Era" is a bit premature with Henry, Kane, and Big Show still in the ring (and Lawler still on commentary). They're all associated with the Attitude Era in those roles. That said, things are winding down.

Hunico's years of experience are really showing here.

Good work by Camacho, too. I'd like to see what he can do outside of the bodyguard role. I don't know too much about his background other than his lineage and that he used to be in FCW.

Impressive stuff by Gabriel.

Both men pulling out some unique offense.

Good match, though I expected nothing less from these two.

Kofi and Truth are getting some nice promotion as a team. I can't see Kofi in a team without thinking of Evan Bourne's future. I'm sure I'll see more on him as I catch up on news posts.

This Little Jimmy angle is gold. Truth plays it perfectly.

Kofi and Truth do make a good team.

Reks and Hawkins are carving a niche for themselves after being two guys on the "pretty likely to be Future Endeavored" list. Not that they're "safe" - just not as much on the "remember _______" list.

I think they can come up with a better name for Kofi and Truth as a team. Though maybe that's a Rock and Roll Express reference?

Kofi and R-Truth make a good team. I'm liking the double-teams.

Scott Stanford's a goof, but that's preferable to talk about trending on Twitter and... whatever it is you want to call the combination of Booker T. and Michael Cole.

If Kofi can pick some things up from R-Truth's decade-plus of experience (and whatever expertise Little Jimmy brings to the table), he could really be someone to watch. He's got a lot of spunk and potential.

Hawkins and Reks are a nice teaming as well.

Reks is starting to grow on me again after a while of him not especially impressing me.

GREAT finishing sequence. Keep an eye on Team Little Jimmy.

Good line about Kelly giving things up to get a title shot.

What does it say about Beth's competition if she can't beat a non-wrestler in a few weeks?

Very interesting back-and-forth about Natalya. I'm really wondering what WWE thinks of her right now.

I kind of miss "psycho Kelly". I wish I missed the stinkface, because that would mean she's not not doing it anymore.

Not bad by Kelly.

Beth's brutal here. Wow.

I half-expected Beth to pull Kelly up for more punishment.

Well, she did do that for months, and then things kind of deteriorated for that angle.

Stanford puts the angles and competitors over. Big props to him.

Nice victory roll spot. Kelly's surprising me somewhat here.

Good match. If people want this kind of thing on Raw or Smackdown, they need to make sure this show gets a lot of views.

On to Impact Wrestling.

So, all this time, the match hasn't been official, even though it involves the GM of TNA?

I hope Roode gets (got) a big rub from that match with Sting. I've deliberately avoided spoilers.

It's amazing that a wrestling company in 2012 has built up a feud for this long.

Fired-up promo by Storm. I like that he took his glasses off for a really serious moment.

Just like Sting should be used to bring Roode to that next level, I think Bully should do that for Storm.

Glad they're saving Storm/Bully for Sunday.

Yeah, Gunner's a bit of an underwhelming choice.

I think TNA agents have to be on camera at least once a month.

Meh. Knockouts. It's weird seeing heels face off so often in TNA.

Madison does put it all into her role. I'll give her that.

YES! No pigeons!

I haven't found anything involving Eric Young hilarious in years.

Not a terrible match; just kind of slow for my tastes. These aren't two people I want to see in a long match.

That was what it was.

I could not care much less for the Knockouts Title feud and where it's going.

Madison was actually pretty good in her role this week, due to the lack of shrieking.

I like Morgan and Crimson. They should keep these two working together for a while.

I know I'm not the only one who thinks the undefeated streak talk is kind of forced.

I wonder if Magnus will face any consequences for publicly (via Twitter) speaking out against Eric Bischoff's comments on Jeremy Borash (see recent news posts).

Every time I hear about Joe's winning streak I think of how badly the ball was dropped on him for so long.

Crimson can go. He's got a lot of raw athleticism.

Aries has been more hit than miss lately, so I'm looking forward to his segment.

I like that the announcers are putting over the match and the people in it instead of, say, ripping on Taz's time as a wrestler. This is where WWE differs from TNA.

Kind of a nasty ST-Joe.

I guess they kind of had to do something like that to continue the feud for Sunday and keep Crimson undefeated. One of the challengers just pinned one of the champions. If they weren't contenders, why should we pay to see them compete for the titles?

I'm guessing Aries broke some kind of ground as X Champion.

Wow. That's pretty impressive for Aries. They've done right by him.

Ha. Of course they show Kendrick getting taken out.

That was a pretty kick-ass montage. Was that TNA's idea?

Aries, Roode, and Rhodes show that a long title reign can do good things for someone.

Ion fits his role perfectly. He seems just like a cocky douchebag from a party.

He had to have known that toast would have ended poorly.

Good stuff from both of these guys. I'd be ok with either day as champion going forward.

Something tells me this Joseph Park guy might end up in the ring at some point.

Weddings can be big for business.

This segment's bad.

Whoever interrupts the wedding becomes my new favorite wrestler I think.

We're just now getting the "Bitch-off" joke.

Not Angle's best stuff.

So far, so good in this match.

I like Gail ruthlessly going after the leg.

Impressive by both ladies.

And that's a wrap. I'm surprised Gail didn't put her feet on the ropes.

Both title match competitors win going into the PPV. Cool enough.

Ugh. Anderson.

I didn't really like any of that segment.

Anderson picked up right where he left off- someone I don't want to see or hear.

I wonder if Joseph Park thinks TNA is an unsafe working environment.

Some good analysis here by Taz after the Stockholm Syndrome stuff.

I was wondering when we'd see outside interference.

Not a bad match. Just not something I'd write home about.

Meh. I've certainly heard worse from Hardy. At least he seems on the wagon now.

Angle looks like a completely different guy body-wise.

Yeah, this one seems pretty obvious: Garett surprises the cocky Kurt to survive.

Garett's no Daniel Puder.

This is a LONG 5 minutes.

I wonder if Garett ends up involved in the Victory Road match?

That Robbie segment was too short.

It feels like Hardy and Angle are facing off at the PPV just to give them something to do.

Taz busting on Bully Ray was kind of comical in its own way.

We're getting right to a fight here.

I have no idea who Taz was referencing on commentary.

Fine match so far.

Storm's good at pulling a crowd into what he's doing. Not everyone has that.

Bully Ray's perfect as a loudmouth you want to see get shut up.

Looking forward to this.

Good little video packages.

Whoa. They just cut right to them in the ring? That's a bit of a shock.

I think that's the quickest contract signing segment beginning to actual signing I've ever seen.

I like the big contrast between Sting and Roode in dress, experience, and demeanor.

I'm loving this Roode promo.

Great building of tension.

I guess this is Sting "getting his shots in" before Roode beats him at the PPV.

Good enough ending I guess.

That's all for Thursday's wrestling. I'll try to have Friday's up later tonight, but I can't make any guarantees. A news post is up next. Thanks for reading and I apologize for running late!

No comments:

Post a Comment