Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 15, 2012

WWE live event notes, Zbyszko talks end of WCW and more, Questions on Kane vs. Kurrgan, an ECW talent, Raw getting an 8.1, and my first PPV, new WWE ref, and new WWE house show perks

Ryback beat JTG on the 3/10 WWE house show. No word on when the ex-Skip Sheffield will be back on Tv. I'd think that if he's getting this much work on live events, they have a good plan for him.

Larry Zbyskzo was interviewed. Good look back at wrestling in the old days and the differences with WWE. I don't think AOL is exclusively to blame for how WCW went downhill, though they played a sizable part in it that a lot of people ignore.

For my take on PWInsider.com's 3/10 questions:
1. Ahh, the Oddities. I remember them. Next time someone talks about how great the Attitude Era was and how characters were better and more realistic, they should be brought up. Anyway, I have no idea other than the fact they mentioned of the group not being particularly serious threats. That's the first time I've ever heard someone being in favor of that particular match-up. For that matter, I don't remember seeing an Oddities-related question before.

Nothing to add to 2. The situation in 3 is simultaneously hilarious and terrible, but I don't know of anything to add there either.

After the break, I go into everything else from Saturday, starting with a question on a big Raw rating in '99.

4. In 2012 we get some pretty good matches and segments and WWE only draws a 3.0. From the sounds of things, that show got a huge rating from a clusterf--- opener, a match involving a manager that also turned into a clusterf---, A bra and panties match involving a former model vs. someone only competing because of her relationships that also involved outside interference and a reversed decision, a "nightstick" match with a screwy ending, a 2-on-1 hardcore match, a heel vs. heel lumberjack match that ended in another clusterf---, Vince's old "stooges" vs. two of Shane McMahon's real-life friends, a match ending with a weapon shot, an intergender match that became another mess of an affair, and a match with Vince and Shane McMahon themselves. Wow. Just... wow.

5. I saw bits and pieces of some shows in '98 and '99, but the first PPV I think I got to see all the way through was WrestleMania 2000. I don't feel that old now.

Brian Nguyen, who referees in FCW as Ryan Tran, was the official for Alicia Fox vs. Eve on Raw last week.

WWE is making increasing use of its Trons at live events, showing pre-taped videos of performers hyping their upcoming matches. Also, Dolph Ziggler signed autographs briefly during intermission for those who had ordered his newest T-shirt. With live event revenue down, new ideas like this are a boon.

That's all for Saturday's news. Sunday's will be up later in the day, then it's on to Raw. Thanks for reading and I apologize for running so late!

No comments:

Post a Comment