Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Superstars and Impact Wrestling thoughts - 3/29/12

Just three days from WrestleMania, WWE has a brand new episode of Superstars. This week, Heath Slater goes up against Alex Riley. Then, on Impact Wrestling, TNA's bringing forth Matt Morgan vs. Crimson, Madison Rayne vs. Velvet Sky and Mr. Anderson vs. Jeff Hardy. But could they be looking at a new GM in Hulk Hogan? Read on for my thoughts on the shows as they happen.
Are they going to try to describe why Striker's on Superstars but has been missing on NXT? Maybe Stanford's unaware that he's a "body double" (as Johnny Curtis claimed)?

Good selling of WM28 by Striker. He should be on commentary more.

Riley is pretty impressive.

In 2012, I think Punk might have the edge as best in the world. If this was a few years ago, things might be different. Straight Edge Society Punk vs. "Suit" Jericho? Kind of a tough call. Over the whole course of their careers? VERY tough call (but Jericho would probably have the edge for longevity).

Good little match for what it was.

Jericho/Punk is a video package I don't mind seeing a lot. Pretty cool stuff. Then again, they're two guys I still want to see regularly in 2012.

Gabriel vs. Kidd could be pretty good.

Menounos might not be able to do Mania given her broken ribs.

"Bending the Rules" actually looks kind of good.

Lord Tensai looks like he could really bruise someone.

We're totally going to get Rock/Cena more than once, right? There's got to be a rematch. WWE doesn't hate money THAT much.

Gabriel's getting more and more into the thrillseeker/daredevil role. I like that he's showing more emotion.

The good start to this match makes up for the misuse of "literally". It's figuratively the worst thing ever.

Part of me wishes there was a crazy bumpfest like MITB at Mania this year.

I agree that they'd make a good tag team.

Pretty moves from these two.

Good technical back-and-forth.

That was kind of quick.

Good match despite its brevity. I guess maybe we'll get them as a team instead of Tyson and Trent? There's no telling.

On to Impact Wrestling.

I like that Roode has personal security.

Good Roode promo as always. They've done a good job building him up with consistent TV time and momentum.

I hope Roode/Storm goes on past Lockdown. The contrast between the man of the people who fights and the arrogant prick who cheats is compelling.

Good segment, though it almost seemed to be hinting at a triple threat involving Bully Ray. Bully's really been gaining my praise, but I think that should be one-on-one.

Ok backstage segment I guess as they presumably move on from Gail vs. Madison.

WHOOPS. I thought it was Angelina Love facing Madison. My bad.

I could not care much less about Madison vs. Velvet, which puts me in line with the commentators.

This match isn't terrible. Just not what I want to see right now.

Gail vs. Velvet again I guess. I'm missing Awesome Kong, Daffney, Alissa Flash, and Taylor Wilde.

I wish James Storm would take out the roving cameramen.

Hogan's been through some bad stuff alright.

If they're going to go out of their way to show that there's a cameraman "hiding", they should do a better job of explaining why Dixie doesn't see him. Or better yet, since she obviously doesn't see him (or doesn't care), why does he keep moving the camera around?

I like the Morgan/Crimson package.

Was that really the only set-up for the Angle/Hardy rematch?

What's with all the remarks about women's looks on this show?

Aries could really get elevated in the months and years to come if he gets re-signed. If he's not re-signed, lolTNA to the max given how much they've put into him these past 6+ months.

TNA's pretty weird about heels and faces lately. Aries teaming with Storm is an odd mix from that perspective.

These two guys can really move.

If the ring can't contain them, maybe a cage can?

Abyss looks like a completely different guy without the mask and with his hair/clothes like that.

I do like that Anderson tossed the second half of his intro to the crowd. He's good at involving them in things, despite me personally being pretty tired with his act at times.

The Angle/Hardy ending was quite a letdown, and not in a "sneaky heel setting up a rematch" way.

I don't know what inspires Hardy's creativity, but I know some people who would like some of it.

Eh. I've had my fill of MCMG.

I'll be very curious to see where Garett's career goes when he's not playing off of his dad.

I liked the elbow drop playing off the microphone entrance. Clever.

Meh. I've seen so much of the characters Angle, Hardy, and Anderson that it doesn't mean much anymore.

That's actually a cool video. Really works for Storm's character.

I'd LOVE to hear Roode's thoughts on that video. As I said, they could do a lot with the contrast, especially if they play into the "Occupy Wall Street" sentiment. They don't push the rich part of Roode's character anymore, but they could still bring up the "suits vs. blue-collar workers" thing. Storm should be the guy that Joe Six-Pack can get behind.

A WrestleMania ad just aired. I like it.

It looks like whoever likes innuendos is still with TNA Creative.

The only funny part of that whole segment was the graphic for the wedding invitation. At least the cage aspect pushes Lockdown.

Not exactly a cage match for the ages. Is anyone outside of TNA hyped for Gunner vs. Garett?

Good video package on Storm. They've come a good way from the first formation of Beer Money (and even further from the AMW and Team Canada days).

Of course, Hogan's segment is more important than the World Title picture.

Christy must have something over someone in power to get so much praise on commentary.

It is kind of cool that Storm was fine with going 2-on-1.

I don't really consider Aries small.

Aries is pretty athletic.

At least they're acknowledging that Aries was aligned with these two just a few weeks ago.

If Bear runs out of Degree, does he drink his own urine?

Keep your eyes on Aries. He's starting to really stand out. Granted, he's getting the chance to do so.

Sabin and Shelley could have disappeared from TNA and I would have hardly noticed.

Bully's great at getting heat. They're doing a good job with this match's psychology.

Simple, but great ending. Storm sent a message to Roode without actually beating him. The focus is on the two "future stars" and the title in the main event picture.

And then, we go to a Hogan segment.

Let's make this quick.

I wish Hogan would close the book on the on-screen part of his life.

Of course, all the babyfaces are second fiddle to our hero and Savior, Hulk Hogan.

Ugh. More Sting/Hogan stuff.

That's all for Thursday's wrestling. I'll be back for Smackdown tomorrow (which will be predominantly video packages and hype), and a news post will be up by morning. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment