Total Pageviews

Friday, May 31, 2013

Edge "update", JR does good deed, profiles of Hart/Liberace/Col. Robley, Cena appearance, Holly book mentioned, big things coming for TNA?, Love DVD, Interviews with Park/DGUSA Champ, a name WWE won't be signing, BFG location, and Questions on promoting Rock, Velvet, tag teams, Park, and Ryder

This is really a "non-news story" because nothing has changed, but since it was reported elsewhere, I thought I'd mention it: Edge still isn't planning on returning to the ring. I'm not sure which part of "career ending injury" people don't understand, but there are online dictionaries out there now to define such things.

Good Ol' JR was a part of a hunger drive in Utah. I wonder if before he came, they realized that business was about to pick up. Seriously, though, that's very cool. And yes, I noticed that they used "you're" instead of "your".

Bret Hart's influence on the world's perception of Calgary was profiled.

Liberace's appearance at WrestleMania I was profiled. I wonder if they'll ever put him in the Hall of Fame?

Former NWA World Champion (and WWE Hall of Famer) Dory Funk, Jr. remembered Col. Buck Robley. Someone who did what's best for business and the promotion? Truly he's part of a bygone era.

Everything else from yesterday is after the break.

John Cena was at the Philadelphia Comic-Con yesterday. I picture a nonstop line of obese "neckbeards" comparing him to Superman and complaining about how he's booked.

Here's a story about the writing of Hardcore Holly's autobiography. I'm under the impression that Holly's not the most liked wrestler in the world. As always, there's no way to tell how much of the stories about him are true.

Dixie Carter has promised big things for TNA this summer, including the signing of a "big free agent" and an increased focus on the Bound For Glory Series. I'm guessing RVD's coming back. I'm ok with this. He's a very talented performer. It's all in how they use him. Hopefully he's used in a way that furthers careers other than his own. Being in a team with AJ Styles would be nice in my eyes, if it elevates the TNA Original (barring those few WCW appearances if you want to get technical).

A shoot DVD with Angelina Love is out. I'm sure of that's interesting: The forming of the Knockouts Division, the angle with Winter, thoughts on Velvet being the "HBK" to her "Jannetty" success-wise.

TNA's Joseph Park talked about comics with Marvel. I would have liked more references to Abyss ("my brother was always into wrestling"), but I understand that people who aren't familiar with his true background might balk with him "only wrestling for a year".

DGUSA's Champion talked about potential interest in WWE. Maybe one day we see him there.

Independent star Adam Cole, who had a tryout with WWE not too long ago, has opted to remain with ROH after signing a new deal. So, at least for the time being, he won't be making the jump to the "big leagues".

TNA Bound For Glory will be at San Diego State University.

For my take on yesterday's PWInsider.com questions:
1. I can see why they would, but the counterargument would be that any time they spend promoting the endeavors of an ex-employee is time they're not spending promoting their current talents and storylines. So, I think I'd have to say that they shouldn't go out of their way to mention those things.

2. Whoa... one at a time.

a. They wanted to do Gail vs. Taryn, and that became more important as Velvet got hurt and couldn't do as much. I think that might have been the biggest factor, since it's clear that Dixie's a fan of hers and wanted her to be a part of TNA.

b. As far as I know, it's legitimate.

c. She's the Knockouts' Champion! I would think that that would mean that they think something of her. She once headlined Impact with Kurt Angle and Jeff Jarrett. I think it's an IWC rule that when one of your favorites lose, they're being "buried by management".

d/e. In TNA, she's the top babyface Knockout. I don't know if she'd get the same treatment in WWE. Heck, there's no guarantee that she'd be picked up there. And she'd have to have a different character. I think she's good for now.

3. I'll say that they do put more focus on the tag team division in TNA. WWE has some good teams, but a lot of times they're just thrown out there in fairly meaningless "filler" matches.

4. Even if Park did bleed and go into "Abyss mode", that wouldn't prove that he's Abyss. It would certainly hint at it, but they're still treated like two different people.

5. If their take on the situation is legit, it speaks wonders on WWE's politics: even though Ryder was clearly over, they're not going to use him because he was a favorite of someone who's no longer head writer. Amazing. Remember that in the end, it seems like it's pretty much what Vince wants that gets featured.

More wrestling tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment