Total Pageviews

Friday, May 31, 2013

Impact Wrestling Reax - 5/30/13

Read on for my thoughts on last night's Impact Wrestling.
I'm really surprised that they're not doing D'Lo vs. Anderson on Sunday. Maybe they're saving it for later. Heck, maybe D'Lo turns face on Sunday. Anyway, good way to hook the viewer to start the show.

Nice opening Team 3D promo. I'm looking forward to Slammiversary in a way I haven't looked forward to a TNA PPV in quite some time. It actually feels like a big deal instead of fulfilling the commitment to do monthly PPVs.

It was a little weird to have the first match of the show be what seems like the main event, but with that ending maybe it made sense. It's possible that something bigger is going on tonight to sell Sunday's show.

Nice Angle promo. As is the trend lately, TNA promotes its storylines and matches effectively. There are few people in the company who are just "floating around" with nothing to do (some of these are in OVW).

What was good about the Dixie Carter segment was that she was used in a short fashion to get over Sunday's PPV and Hall of Fame announcement, then they segued into the actual wrestlers of the show. I'd like to see more of WWE's non-wrestlers used like this (Colter and Heyman are notable exceptions as good as they are, but it applies to most authority figures).

Joe vs. Garrett was fine to set up Sunday. Garrett and Wes look like jabronis, but theoretically they can overcome that in time.

Fine 6-man for Sunday. Hopefully the likes of Joe and Magnus look good coming out of it. Hardy's already an established main eventer, so it makes sense for them to get the rub.

I liked the Storm and Gunner segment, even though it feels a little weird for them to be together. I didn't really like the remark about killing people, since that's not something to take lightly. I don't think they meant anything bad by it, though.

LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING, BROTHER. STING'S GOING TO GET THE WIN, BROOKE. THE HULKSTER KNOWS HOW TO PICK WINNERS, JACK. The Hogans are one of the few acts in TNA who I have no interest in seeing.

Wow. That was a good showcase of Gunner and Hernandez, two TNA originals. I'm impressed. I liked the "chickensh*t" aspects from the heel team. (Technically, Hernandez had two appearances in the WWF before TNA existed, but neither were on a major show and most fans have probably forgotten about them. Heck, I didn't know about them until I was looking up his history on Cagematch.net).

Another good Aces and Eights segment. I like that the feud over the TNA Title is considered very important and serious and isn't fodder for ridiculous humor.

I'm intrigued by Mickie as Knockouts' Champion. I wonder how many unaware fans will think that she's ripping off AJ Lee's gimmick.

I find it a little odd that they're not doing a 4-Way for the Title on Sunday (and that the title isn't on the line at all, for that matter), but the Knockouts' segment was a good set-up for what goes on after the PPV.

Not a terrible mixed tag. I'm glad that they didn't turn it into X-Division Spotfest #379.

Very good post-match to set up the X-Division Title match. I like how one thing flows into another on this show and isn't just a random collection of matches.

Also a pretty good promo from Sting. Honestly that could have gone longer and I wouldn't have complained. Sting has done a lot of big things in his career, and Sunday's match will add to that.

I think I would have liked for Styles to win and THEN fight Angle, and honestly it's rather heelish of Angle to attack him in the middle of a match, but maybe there's a reason they're doing this.

Nice ending to the show, but it seems to suggest that Sting will get revenge on Sunday and win the World Title. I hope they don't go in that direction. Bully vs. Styles for the title at BFG to "make" AJ a big deal would be my pick, and I think a lot of fans feel the same way. Bully vs. Hogan and Sting vs. AJ in a Title match would be disappointing.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment