Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 14, 2016

NXT and Main Event Reax - 4/13/16

Read on for my thoughts on yesterday's NXT and Main Event.

NXT:
I liked Regal setting up the show, since I don't think this show will feature promos.

- Aries vs. Dawkins:
Angelo's showing some personality. I hope he progresses in the months/years to come.

Austin taking the amateur standout to wrestling school.

That was nice overall. Dawkins is coming along pretty well; I think this helped him just as much as it helped Austin.

Joe vs. Crews should be fun. I'm very surprised Crews got called up before Joe did, but maybe they're saving the Samoan Submission Machine for something more important down the line.

So, how long until a No Way Jose/Adam Rose feud?

- Alexa vs. Blanchard:
I'm glad to see Tessa get a WWE tryout. I haven't gotten to see her work on the indie circuit.

Decent feeling out process.

I like Alexa's mean streak.

Tessa has some decent fire.

That wasn't bad! Alexa's coming along.

Bliss wanting the ref to keep raising her hand was really funny. She's a natural heel.

I'm really interested to see who will be the next No. 1 contender to Balor. Aries? Nakamura?

- Gargano/Ciampa vs. Vaudevillains:
Gargano's very fluid in the ring.

Hopefully Ciampa doesn't get overshadowed in his pairing. He's capable, as well.

I want to see Gotch and English go even further into their "flashback" gimmick by using moves we don't see much of these days.

It's weird seeing Ciampa as a face instead of an intense heel trying to hurt someone.

Nice ending. That submission is pretty sick.

I liked that promo from Dillinger. I mean, not enough to have him beat Shinsuke, but at least he got some mic time before getting wrecked.

- Knight vs. Corbin:
How NXT missed the opportunity to do an angle between Tucker and Bull is beyond me. In the OVW era, they would have been a team of brothers.

Tucker's got some impressive mobility for his size. I hope he continues to shape up as his NXT career continues.

Baron's most fun to watch when he works with someone smaller and more mobile than he is, but this was OK to show he's still dominant.

Nice simple booking to set up Enzo/Cass going against the champs. That'll be a good last feud for the new members of the main roster.

- Bayley vs. Morgan:
Liv's still noticeably green. At least she's getting some experience here.

It's weird to see the NXT faithful get behind a gimmick like Bayley given how much they hate male babyfaces with that kind of gimmick.

That was OK to give Bayley a rebound win.

That was mostly a good promo for Bayley saving face after her loss.

Looking forward to next week's big matches.

- Nakamura vs. Tye:
Tye's convincingly full of himself.

Funny interactions with the crowd early.

I think Tye's the perfect opponent to get Shinsuke adjusted to the NXT/WWE style.

That was good as a sample of Shinsuke's offbeat style and offense. He's obviously experienced; it's just a matter of adjusting to this environment.

Main Event:
Rose hating luchadores isn't too surprising now that he's given up his partying ways.

Wow, Axel. That hostility doesn't seem necessary for this occasion.

- Slater vs. Kalisto:
Good straightforward wrestling early.

I love the Bo Train, but they're running the risk of wearing the gag out.

I'm glad Kalisto didn't stand for that silliness for long.

Slater's becoming a pretty crafty competitor. He's pretty well-rounded.

Nice reversal spot with the Salida del Sol. I like the philosophy were wrestlers don't want to be hit with finishers rather than kicking out of several.

Overall, that was pretty good. I liked the ending.

Bo's a really funny guy at times.

- Bo vs. Crews:
Glad we're seeing some personality from Crews here. I'm worried about that aspect of his game.

That was pretty good to show Apollo's athleticism, but I wonder what the long-term plan is for him. 

- Owens vs. Ziggler:
I love how Owens is making a lot out of his headlocks and chinlocks instead of just flying out of the gate with all his flashy moves.

The idea of the headlock actually making someone submit after all these years is funny.

Owens playing off the crowd is great. Such an old-school antagonist.

This is hysterical. It's like the two of them just decided to troll the crowd with a ton of rest holds. 

OK now things are really picking up.

Wow now they're just pulling an ROH and going for all their spots in quick succession.

That was a good match. It was nice to see something different.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment