Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 21, 2016

NXT and Main Event Reax - 4/20/16

Read on for my thoughts on last night's NXT and Main Event.

NXT:
I really wonder where Carmella goes now that she's not coming out with Enzo and Cass.

That was a nice twist on the usual Enzo/Cass promo.

- Enzo/Cass vs. A. Alpha:
The champs are working a bit like heels here, isolating Enzo and working him over. It's good practice for if they ever do turn.

Good to see Gable and Jordan working together as an elite machine.

I like the different styles coming together here.

Enzo and Cass have a pretty good tag team dynamic, as well. It's good to see Cass make use of his size and power advantage.

That was pretty good. Nice to see those great suplexes on display.

Apollo still has growing to do as a promo guy. Hopefully he gets to work on that more on the main roster.

- Jose vs. Wolfe:
Well, this is definitely different!

OK, this is pretty entertaining in a silly way. Wrestling as a whole could use a little more levity.

That was fun. I just hope the gimmick has enough legs to stay around. I bet some former Rosebuds would like to party with Jose.

Aries is a confident and smooth talker. That was a good promo, and I hope we do see another round of Austin vs. Corbin.

I miss Regal's segments with Bull. Maybe Regal and Samson can have some fun ones now.

- Jax vs. Deonna:
If TNA goes under, I want to see Robbie E revive his Jersey Shore gimmick with Deonna. Godderz and DJ Z can come, too.

Deonna doing her best ragdoll impression here.

I kind of want to see a Deonna/Blue Pants feud to determine the Queen Jobber of NXT.

That was an effective showcase of destruction by Jax. I like her getting the pin right from the legdrop instead of wasting time hooking a leg.

I wish Bayley had the same energy in her promos that she has in the ring and in front of the crowd. I'm interested in what she does going forward.

- Crews vs. Joe:
I like Joe being the methodical monster saving his agility for when it can do the most damage. He's showing his veteran status with that style.

Good to see Apollo working longer matches after several weeks of squashes on Raw and Smackdown.

Crews definitely has all the tools to be successful from a physical standpoint, and it looks like he's adjusting to the WWE way of doing things, but until he gets more of a character for us to invest in, he's only going to get so far.

I hope Apollo keeps the bicycle kick. That's a good addition to what he does.

That was pretty good overall.

Main Event:
- Axel vs. Crews:
Axel is kind of an NXT alum, too. Just a different version of NXT.

Axel's doing well at guiding the newer performer through the WWE style.

Crews is doing well in this longer-form match.

Axel is becoming a good "utility player." He knows the ropes and can bring out good things from others.

It's good to see Axel in a longer singles match, too.

Crews is pretty impressive, and Axel is rounding out his in-ring game well.

Nice match overall.

- Alicia vs. Summer:
This is quite good early. Both women have sound foundations.

It's nice to see the Million Dollar Dream used again. I miss Ted DiBiase in the ring.

That was good overall.

- Show/Kane vs. Strowman/Rowan:
Kane and Big Show have teamed on Raw (WWF and WWE), Smackdown (Thursday and Friday editions, WWF and WWE), Heat, Taboo Tuesday, Armageddon, Superstars, Over the Limit, and Main Event. Some of those shows don't even exist anymore.

I give Kane a lot of credit for still moving and bumping like he does at almost 49.

I don't usually like big man vs. big man matches if the people involved all work a slower style with a lot of holds.

This match feels pretty long.

Kane's still got it enough to contribute. I'll give him that.

That was OK, I guess. I think they made the most of what they can do at their size/age/style.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment