Total Pageviews

Friday, April 22, 2016

ROH and Smackdown Reax - 4/21/16

Read on for my thoughts on last night's ROH and Smackdown.
ROH:
ROH is even more of a promotional vehicle for NJPW than it usually is tonight.

- Castle/Taguchi vs. Sydal/Liger:
It's crazy to see Liger still wrestling, but he's something like Undertaker levels of legendary in Japan.

Castle's easily one of the best parts of ROH.

Looks like this match is going to be more of an entertainment affair than flippy shit. I'm more than OK with that.

I'm glad Liger's still doing well. I wouldn't mind seeing him again in NXT.

I'm liking Taguchi OK.

I like the counters to Sydal.

That was a fine match. It was nice to see something different from the stereotypical ROH match.

- Gedo vs. Delirious:
NJPW's booker vs. ROH's booker.

I have no clue what the hell I'm watching right now.

This is alright now that they're actually wrestling.

This match is bizarre.

I guess the styles are so different, it was inevitable for this to be something of a mess. I'll take that over everyone diving everywhere and kicking out of everything, though.

That was OK, I guess? Pretty weird.

Laughably bad promo from Fish and Strong. Both men are really generic as characters.

- Strong vs. Ishii:
I like Ishii just no-selling everything. I'd like to see him wreck more jabROHnis.

This makes up for the snorefest that was Strong vs. Lethal.

Roddy's just getting wrecked here.

Please do leave, Roddy! Stay in Japan or something.

It's kind of funny to see no-selling at this level. It's the logical extension of the ROH style of just doing cool moves with no meaning.

Strong has fighting spirit and a lot of technical skill, I'll give him that.

Strong just hitting every big move he has to little effect. This is only slightly more ridiculous than his major ROH matches.

Indestructible Ishii is fun.

These two are burying believability with all the kickouts.

Obviously fake match with all the no-selling, but it was kind of fun in that sense.

Smackdown:
I unironically like Miz and Maryse. He's really become a successful character.

WWE's in this weird netherworld where they'll put over AJ's work in Japan but won't mention that other place he worked (and I don't mean ROH). He was a multiple-time World Champion before going to Japan!

Miz is good at stirring the pot.

I like AJ wanting to be his own man, and I REALLY hope he doesn't turn heel three months into his WWE run.

Miz putting over Roman is further tease of a heel turn.

Miz and Maryse are great as Hollywood douchebags.

- Kalisto vs. Ryback:
RyBEEG showing his dominance.

I wish we would have had a promo from Ryback before the match on how this week will be different from WM32.

Ryback's a more well-rounded wrestler than he was years back.

Kalisto's making the most of his advantages over Ryback. It's not like he's going to powerbomb Ryback to win.

That was really enjoyable overall.

I'm liking heel Ryback. I hope he's not thinking of leaving when his contract ends, as he hinted in a recent interview.

What I like about Baron Corbin is his severe lack of damns to give. He's not there to give the fans a good show; he just wrecks people.

Corbin's good. I like what we're seeing from him so far.

- Miz vs. AJ:
Miz is good at playing off people like AJ.

Styles is an accomplished technical wrestler.

I like Miz slowing down the pace and wanting to regroup after Styles' offense.

GOD Miz using his wife as a human shield is evil. Why did it take so long to bring her back.

This is going pretty well. Miz makes a solid utility player against AJ's international experience.

This is really picking up. I'm enjoying the way they work together.

Oh hey Biz Clizzers.

Oh, man. The spotted dick reference was ROUGH. PG Ambrose is getting into Sheamus/Cena/Reigns territory.

That whole Ambrose/Zayn promo was lame. I really hope that was just something terrible someone wrote and they had to deliver it.

I kind of expected Anderson's and Gallows' debuts to be saved for Payback, but I suspect we'll get a rematch of Raw at that show.

- Team B.A.D. vs. Paige/Natalya:
Part of me really wants to see a Tamina/Nia Jax feud at some point leading to Nia "replacing" her fellow Samoan. She's been pretty impressive in the monster role in NXT.

Naomi's underrated.

Does anyone even remember why Paige turned face the most recent time? I think she just came back and was teaming with faces.

That was a pretty good ending. Paige was impressive.

- Truth vs. Fandango:
I kind of want to see GolDango as a team. Not going to lie.

Fandango has made the most of that gimmick. He's a lot of fun.

I have no idea what's happening right now.

Well, that was... something. I guess since half the roster was at a live event, they had time to fill.

Good to see the Vaudevillains cut a promo on someone that isn't just "we're manly."

Enzo's something on the mic. Does he really not know what mange is?

This is a pretty good back-and-forth on the mic.

I expected the tournament to be over by Payback, with the Vaudevillains facing the Usos. Maybe the Dudleys make an appearance to knock Enzo/Cass out of the running, setting up a match at Payback. Yeah, I know that wouldn't make much sense.

Jericho's and Owens' segment was pretty funny in a silly way.

- Y2J/Owens vs. Ambrose/Zayn:
Hot start before the break.

Zayn's impressive as always.

I like Jericho just slapping the taste out of Zayn's mouth. This isn't a competition to be the best with handshakes and choreographed highspots; it's a match and a fight.

I liked Ambrose avoiding the pop up powerbomb instead of it being hit but not ending the match.

That was pretty good overall.

More wrestling coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment